cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Planning A Trip

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
Will Be Leaving The Houston Area Mid April Returning Mid June Traveling To The East Coast.

Taking 1-10 East From Houston Looking For State Parks Or COE Campgrounds No Commercial Campgrounds.

We Are Going To Stay Within 100 Miles (or so) Of Coast Going East And Then North To Maryland.

Louisiana Southern Part (Avoiding New Orleans)
Southern Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida North & Central Then Along The Coast North To About Maryland.

If You Have Some Favorite Campgrounds, Places To See and Do Please Post.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro
7 REPLIES 7

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
If you should be in the area of St Augustine, I can recommend North Beach Campground...the beach is right across the highway...we stayed there a few years ago and really liked it. Most all the sites have privacy. And if you've never been to St Augustine, you can get tickets for a trolley that takes you all over town...it's a hop off and hop on with lots of stops.

Your trip sounds wonderful!

Adiabatman
Explorer
Explorer
I think you might find the Ultimate Public Campgrounds very useful. it provides info on over 41,000 public camping spots. No commercial/private campgrounds are included. Apps are available for iOS, Android and Mac devices.

LibertyMan
Explorer
Explorer
I would assume when you head north from FL you will be taking I95. If so, Jekyll Island in GA is a really good park, plus they have FHU which is nice. The campground there is beautiful with the spanish moss. As mentioned earlier in an above post, James Island in Charleston, SC. James Island is ran by the county and is a really neat park. FHU as well. Minutes from downtown Charleston but a very secluded campground. Both Jekyll and James Island have tremendous paved bicycle trails that run the entire perimeter of the island.
2019 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite
2016 Ram CCSB 2500 CTD
GenY Weight Distribution Hitch

charming
Explorer
Explorer
On the panhandle in Florida we stayed at Big Lagoon further east we were late making a reservation and were not able to get into Ft Clinch so we stayed at Stephen Foster Memorial right on the river. Nice park, large lots although not full service.

In SC there are four ocean front state parks. Hunting Island, Edisto, Huntington Beach, and Myrtle Beach. Now is the time to make reservations because the full service sections of Myrtle Beach and Huntington Beach all fill up quickly.

If you want to stay close to I-95 Santee and Givhans Ferry are good options. Here is a link to SC state parks: https://southcarolinaparks.com/
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
The FL state park we camped in was Blackwater River SP, in the panhandle. Beautiful park, inland so less popular than the beachfront ones. Our site was HUGE - we had a 34' TT at the time and there was way more than enough room for it and our truck, and not hard to back into. FHU site. I'd recommend it.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
There are various Florida state parks along Interstate 10 in the panhandle. Florida state parks are generally well kept and a good place to stay. You see the signs for the exits to take to them routinely as you drive east across the state. I can only relate personal experience with one: Falling Waters near Chipley, FL. It was nice, but the sites were challenging for our fifth wheel. As I read your signature information, you may have an easier time. It was not a big park, but contained scenery you would not generally picture for Florida.
Be sure to reserve any Florida state parks well ahead of time. You can do it on line.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
These are all state (or regional) parks where we have stayed and would stay again:

Fairview/Riverside near Madisonville, LA
or
Fontainebleau State Park just down the road at Mandeville

Buccaneer SP in Waveland, MS

Gulf State Park in Alabama

Fort Pickens in the National Seashore near Pensacola, FL

I would mention St. Andrews SP at Panama City but getting a reservation there is next to impossible

Blythe Island Regional Park near Brunswick, GA

Skidaway Island State Park near Savannah, GA

James Island near Charleston

Newport News Regional Park in Virginia.