cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Want to use a tow bar to pull a titan xd

brysont3405
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 Nissan Titan Xd that I want to pull with my motorhome. how do I set it up and not burn up the transmission.
9 REPLIES 9

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
brysont3405 wrote:
Thank you just wanted to make sure. I will be towing my Jeep cj7 the truck is just a better ride to move around in towns I have never been to yet.

which year? manual? auto?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
brysont3405 wrote:
Thank you just wanted to make sure. I will be towing my Jeep cj7 the truck is just a better ride to move around in towns I have never been to yet.

CJ7? Better check to see what transfer case is installed. I bought a CJ7 some years back, and discovered that the transfer case in it would not properly lubricate when being towed 4 down. However, the T-case could be removed, disassembled, and some splash vanes could be welded on a certain gear to splash lube the bearings. Instead, I sold it.
Sorry, I do not remember which transfer case it is that is not towable 4 down. I just remember that I had a CJ7 and sold it because I couldn't tow it.
Good luck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

brysont3405
Explorer
Explorer

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
HERE is a link to towables from way back when to current times.

By the way, Welcome to the Forums!

Excluding some of the curmudgeons on here, we're a pretty nice group or RV fanatics. So to summarize what has been said, it is not recommended to tow a Titan Four Down. The transmission and transfer case will most likely be damaged and repairs will be expensive.

I don't remember seeing a description of your RV in your posts or signature. Without that info, the best one can do is tell you to check on the ability of your RV to tow that much weight and to check your receiver hitch to see what class it is, if I remember correctly a class III is only good to 5000#. Your truck can easily exceed that.

To answer the intent of your question, you need a set of baseplates, adapters and a towbar with all of the safety cables etc and of course in some way wire the lights to mimic the RV's lights. And then you will need an auxiliary braking system, a towed of 5 to 7K pounds added to the weight of your rig is going to make stopping much harder.

I did a cursory search for base plates and didn't find any company making them.

Good Luck in your quest.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
All models of the 2018 Titan XD must be trailered according to Remco.

and that will add weight. know, do not assume, what your MH is capable of safely towing.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Y-Guy
Flat towing the 2018 Nissan Titan XD in either 2WD or 4WD is not recommended by Nissan. You can consult your Owners Manual to verify this. The online version of the OM covered this in section Technical and consumer information 10-61.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
All models of the 2018 Titan XD must be trailered according to Remco.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
you should be asking yourself if your MH can safely pull that behemoth. curb weight shows between 5700-7400 lbs.

check out Remco Towing.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

brysont3405
Explorer
Explorer
worried about the trans in the Titan not motorhome