Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: need new tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> need new tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sailuns.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Just wondering why I never hear anyone or read any article about firestone st tires.

Hard to give a recommendation without knowing what size/load range tires are OEM vs what size/load range your wanting.
Firestone hasn't made a ST (special trailer) tire since the late '70s.
The Firestone Transforce HT makes a excellent trailer tire and has been around for 18- 20 years unlike the Endurance that has a couple of years of service. At 3042 lbs capacity the Firestone Transforse HT have worked great in all those years on trailers with 5.2k and 6k axles.
And 16" LT235/85-16 E commercial grade all steel ply carcass Bridgestone R-238 are just like Michelin XPS Ribs.

LT tires on trailers isn't any thing new. Hell we used LT and P tires before the tire industry gave us the infamous ST tire.

For a trailer that is used a few time here and there like you say the Provider ST or Endurance ST or Carlisle HD ST tire should serve you well unless your trailer has 7k-8k axles. Then a 16" load G all steel ply carcass like the Sailun S637 ST @4080 lbs and 4400 lbs, is tops with haulers and RV trailer owners

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Rich&Mar

wa usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 11:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

What size tires are we talking about here? What size is on there now?
225 75 15 8500lbs

rich

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 04:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speaking of Firestone Transforce HT tires...

I have them on my F250. Good tires for a good price compared to other name brands... BUT... they seem to wear quickly. I have no idea how they would do on a trailer, probably great. Reading reviews of the tires many of them say the same thing - hard to quantify, but the tires seem to wear out faster than many other brands.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 05:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run transforce on the back of my F250 and the 10K fifth wheel. Nary a problem out of them. That is my belly button story and I am sticking to it. [emoticon]

caysea7254

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 02:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased Goodyear Endurance tires this year and are very pleased so far. They have a speed rating of S or 85mph. We don't go close to that speed. We drive between 60-64mph that's comfortable for us. Tara

Steve & Tara Smiley
2014 3500HD Silverado
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL

ramyankee

North Idaho/Kootenai Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Third season on the tires on our Cougar... When we get back from this trip new Carlisles are going on. Our local Discount Tires in Hayden ID have the 10 ply for $116 per... Taking off the 8 ply...

My 2 cents worth...

Rick and Patti ">
2 Proud CONSERVATIVES ">
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2016 Keystone Cougar 284RDB
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

SugarHillCTD

Sugar Hill, NH, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 04:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Right now 4 GY Endurance 225/75-15 $460 delivered from Discount Tire Direct.

I mount and balance tires myself which keeps the cost down.

But anyone who thinks that going somewhere to buy tires and have them mounted and balanced is expensive should think about the cost if a crappy tire explodes while traveling.

John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just checked Discount Tire, and realized that the Endurance in 225 15" are only available in an E rating. My KZ is placarded for D tires, which gives me a tire load capacity only 360 lbs below my GVW. So, that brings up the question of do I stick with a D rated tire or spend more and go to an E rated tire, which would give me 1,332 lbs OVER my GVW tire capacity (at full psi)? Do I spend $120 more (plus tax) on the Endurance and =deflate= to 65 psi to get the same load rating as a D tire or just buy a D tire, which, IMO is plenty for my fairly light FW? FWIW, I've had good luck with 2 different sets of Carlisles, so that would be my D rated choice.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

melloftus

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all, Question.. our TT needs new tires, do you all just take your TT down to the tire shop to have this done and leave the vehicle you tow it with attached?
I am just curious how you all do this.. also if we are going to have our tires replaced is there other service you would recommend having done?
we currently have ST205/75R14 Load C but i want to get the best tires we can as a blow out is a big fear
Thanks
Melanie

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> need new tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS