Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Hitch choice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hitch choice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
bobbyg123

Duvall, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/19 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi everyone. I own a 2017 F350 6.2L long bed crew cab, and I’m in the market for my first 5th wheel hitch after 10+ years of bumper pulling.

I’ve heard good things about B&W, but they of course make several different hitch options. What should I be looking for? My new 5th wheel won’t weigh more than 11,000 lbs loaded, and I won’t ever bigger than the set up I just purchased; certainly not with my gas truck.

Thanks.

2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/19 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I had the Patriot, everyone needs to know what you intend to do with it. If you want a hitch that will sit in your truck until you need it, it works great. If you want to have a clean box, you need to look further. If you want to remove it easily by yourself look farther too. I loved my B&W Patriot, but it got pretty heavy, even taking apart the two sections. Sometimes I had to rig up a hoist to get it in or out. Now I go for comfort driving, and parking and we have a Class C.

Mike and Carole
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

bobbyg123

Duvall, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/19 11:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the reply. It’s going to be pretty permanent, as my truck is a dedicated tow vehicle. With that said, I hate the thought of not being able to remove it should I need the whole bed for hauling.

Ugh...

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/19 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 3300 B&W for oem puck system would be the best choice, if you have the puck system. You have the option of installing the under bed puck system if you don't have it now.

If you are going to use rails in the bed, then the Patriot is a great choice.

Jerry

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/19 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me I went with an air ride hitch by Trailersaver the BD3 model. I don't think I would ever go back to a solid hitch after owning this one for a while. Previously I had a Reese which worked fine but then upgraded later on and dont regret it.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/19 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good article: Click here. Read, enjoy, and be overwhelmed! But this covers a lot of information. Good luck in your choice.

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/19 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't recommend the B&W hitches any higher. They're the best fixed hitch on the market.
https://learntorv.com/bw-fifth-wheel-hitches/

The fact that it comes out in 2 pieces makes it manageable by 1 person. I used a furniture dolly to move it around the driveway and garage.

I had an Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection and the ride, with our truck and trailer combination, beat my wife's back up. I did a head-to-head comparison between it and the B&W. I was gentle in the article, but for me- it's B&W or bust between the two:
https://learntorv.com/the-hitch-showdown/

And lastly, due to the pain caused by the Andersen and that the B&W I had wasn't rated for the trailer that I bought, I ended up switching to the TrailerSaver TS3. It's a full air ride hitch and is as nice as can be. We've had to learn that if our last movement direction is forward that we have to back the pin off of the hitch a bit, otherwise it binds up and makes the handle hard to release. But, it's a heavy bugger at 300 lbs. I've never lifted it and just hang it from the kingpin of the camper. When it's time to re-install it, I just back the truck under it and lower it onto the rails (with my wife's help).

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

austinjenna wrote:

For me I went with an air ride hitch by Trailersaver the BD3 model. I don't think I would ever go back to a solid hitch after owning this one for a while. Previously I had a Reese which worked fine but then upgraded later on and dont regret it.

X2

I have a BD3 and would NEVER pull a fifth wheel without an air hitch. There are so many reports from owners having broken pin boxes anything you can do to help cushion the rigid connection between truck and trailer can't hurt.
If you rig is lighter you could also consider the less expensive BD1.

http://www.trailersaver.com/air-ride-suspension-hitches/

2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can thank me later.

I tow this beast at 33k combined and 35k when double towing. I don't have an air hitch. I have an air bag pin box. Really don't see the ride getting any better. FACT is your trucks suspension has more to do with ride than anything else!

[image]
[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bobbyg123

Duvall, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

You can thank me later.

I tow this beast at 33k combined and 35k when double towing. I don't have an air hitch. I have an air bag pin box. Really don't see the ride getting any better. FACT is your trucks suspension has more to do with ride than anything else!
snip...

Thanks. I suspect the Companion 3500 will be more than enough for my 10,500lb 5th wheel, no?

* This post was last edited 08/02/19 06:21pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hitch choice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS