cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch choice

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. I own a 2017 F350 6.2L long bed crew cab, and I’m in the market for my first 5th wheel hitch after 10+ years of bumper pulling.

I’ve heard good things about B&W, but they of course make several different hitch options. What should I be looking for? My new 5th wheel won’t weigh more than 11,000 lbs loaded, and I won’t ever bigger than the set up I just purchased; certainly not with my gas truck.

Thanks.
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L
101 REPLIES 101

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Hammerboy wrote:
I have the B&W Patriot Slider and been very happy with it, almost as smooth as silk except for the bad concrete highways. Solid hitch

Dan

But aint it kinna heavy?

Kind of, 221# total. Head pops off very easy and that lightens it by 52#. I usually leave it in for the season so I deal with it twice a year, no biggie. I have in the past used a chain hoist also to make easy work of it.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Hammerboy wrote:
I have the B&W Patriot Slider and been very happy with it, almost as smooth as silk except for the bad concrete highways. Solid hitch

Dan

But aint it kinna heavy?

Weight shouldn't be a problem. If it is, some on this forum have suggested that when installing or removing the hitch, disconnect the head from the base, or alternatively, have some friends come over to help lift it, followed by some beer and male bonding. Other solutions are to get a winch from HF and attach it to a rafter in the garage and one fellow stated that he uses a forklift to remove his.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hammerboy wrote:

Dan

But aint it kinna heavy?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
bobbyg123 wrote:
Thanks guys. No worries. I’m not crying myself to sleep. There’s always some degree of buyers remorse or indecision when you venture down a road you haven’t traveled before. After pulling my 35’ travel trailer on my bumper all of these years, I’m sure this new 5th wheel configuration is going to feel like a dream. At least, that’s what I’ve been told. 🙂

You'll be fine. There really aren't any bad hitch choices. Market forces and tort weeded those out long ago. That's why the hitch wars are so dumb. Learn to use your hitch, then learn to trust your hitch. I think that last part so many here have trouble with, trust issues, and that leads to these heated wars.

I agree there are no bad hitch choices , as long as you stay within the weight rating . The problem starts when , and it’s usually just the one individual that gets on here and starts the nonsense on hitches that he hasn’t even used or owned , and the heated discussions are on . That stuff is not necessary .

I can see where the OP has indecision . Nobody wants to hear a bunch of stuff that’s not fact , just opinions or hearsay . The B&W is a great hitch . The Reese I have is a great hitch. The Andersen is a great hitch, the list goes on.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
bobbyg123 wrote:
Thanks guys. No worries. I’m not crying myself to sleep. There’s always some degree of buyers remorse or indecision when you venture down a road you haven’t traveled before. After pulling my 35’ travel trailer on my bumper all of these years, I’m sure this new 5th wheel configuration is going to feel like a dream. At least, that’s what I’ve been told. 🙂

You'll be fine. There really aren't any bad hitch choices. Market forces and tort weeded those out long ago. That's why the hitch wars are so dumb. Learn to use your hitch, then learn to trust your hitch. I think that last part so many here have trouble with, trust issues, and that leads to these heated wars.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

Jennifer_Koper
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 1 1/4 " trailer hitch in 2012 for my bike and had it mounted on my Forester. I am in procedure of buying a 2019 Forester and wondered if I could use the same hitch on the new car.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
Coming soon to the History Channel ... Hitch Wars!

{yawn}

Wait, its not quite hunting season, and August fly fishing it always seems to slow a bit :B

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Coming soon to the History Channel ... Hitch Wars!

{yawn}
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn’t read all of the other posts, but man, don’t be depressed! You are getting, arguably, the best non air ride, rail mounted, fifth wheel hitch on the market!

Never mind it’s pretty affordable and looks great!

Thanks and please enjoy!

Gotta watch these forums, after you leave them you will be considering a MDT OR HDT just to go camping.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
bobbyg123 wrote:
Well, considering my dealer is installing a B&W Patriot onto my truck tomorrow, this thread has thoroughly depressed me. 😞

If you're not 100% satisfied with your decision I think you should cancel your appointment. Or maybe you can get the rails installed today and give yourself a few days to decide whether to buy a Patriot or a TrailerSavor to set on those rails?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
bobbyg123 wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
bobbyg123 wrote:
Well, considering my dealer is installing a B&W Patriot onto my truck tomorrow, this thread has thoroughly depressed me. 😞

The Andersen would have helped with that depression :B

Yea, probably. Fortunately, there are a lot of good reviews about the B&W Patriot on other sites. It's just not as popular here for some reason.

I think you are taking this wrong, you chose a great hitch. Whether it be the Andersen or whatever , if chucking is going to happen it will happen with just about any fixed hitch.

We have the ONE guy on here that is convinced the CURT hitch creates chucking, and it kind of burst his bubble to hear about a B&W with the same problem. Its just a certain combination that creates chucking.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Andersen, known for denting bed with the "Ultimate" with fore and aft movement. B&W old style 18k Companion same thing, I owned one. B&W chose to address this Andersen has not.

Rail mount Andersen does not have this issue.

No need to hear from the peanut gallery as above statement is fact.

FACT is the problem is rare on the Ultimate compared to the B&W , FACT because of the difference in the base. When is the last time you heard about bed deflection from the Andersen . FACT its very seldom, and FACT its easily fixed with shims ,the same as the B&W regardless of who has addressed the issue. Its out there as a solution if in FACT that even happens.

The other peanut gallery no need to reply, FACTS are all out there now.