cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a Geo Pro 19bh

jordan2110
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know if I'd be ok towing a Geo Pro 19bh with a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 with 3.6L engine.

Trailer spec..
Hitch Weight 360 lbs
Gross Weight 3860 lbs
Dry Weight 3088 lbs
Cargo Weight 772 lbs

jeep towing capacity 6200lbs. I feel I will be ok and I'll add a WDH. Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

lss177
Explorer
Explorer
bravelion wrote:
I currently towed an Innsbruck 199dd to Colorado from TX with my 2016 grand Cherokee 4x4 High Altitude. 3.6. Door placard says 6,500 tow capacity for my particular jeep.

I weighed all of our stuff loading up the jeep before driving to pick up the rental trailer. 250 lbs of stuff. The Innsbruck is a super light no frills trailer. I had the water filled before leaving, so that added some weight, but was still under 4,500 lbs I estimate. Just two of us riding in the keep, me 220 lbs, her 130.

Pulling power was no problem. Even from Durango to Ouray. But I had a minor white knuckle wind experience on I40 coming into Clovis NM from TX. Strong winds out of the south blew me around pretty good. I had just a ball hitch receiver, no special hitch or sway bars.

Without wind it tows just fine. But what I've read about the short wheelbase on the GC is true. I was fighting the sway pretty hard. Never felt like it was dangerous enough to pull over, but it was work.

In our RV park in Ouray there was a Geo Pro 19 with a grand Cherokee. I noticed it had a special hitch. I meant to chat them up as I'd like to keep my jeep and I've looked at the Geo Pro, but they left already so I wasn't able to get their feedback.

I tow with a 2018 Trailhawk JGC V8, get this and you'll be fine:

https://www.amazon.com/Fastway-2-point-sway-control-hitch/dp/B0071L3H2E?th=1

eend
Explorer
Explorer
I used to tow our 20' shadow cruiser with a our GC mind you the vehicle was a diesel so it had plenty of power. I neve had any issues and I used a Reese dual cam sway control hitch, they are a bit more money than your regular hitches with the bars but it worked great in windy conditions.
2019 VW Tiguan
2015 F150 ecoboost
2013 Arctic Fox 22G
1971 Boler 1300

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The CAT scales tell the weight story but only you can determine a "white knuckle" ride.

I have been pushed around by cross winds in OK and TX, that were annoying enough to move from the interstate to local roads where I could drive at 30 mph. Wind is one of the many issues that are part of towing. Along with rain, snow, truck blasts etc. that are just part of towing.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
bravelion wrote:
I currently towed an Innsbruck 199dd to Colorado from TX with my 2016 grand Cherokee 4x4 High Altitude. 3.6. Door placard says 6,500 tow capacity for my particular jeep.

I weighed all of our stuff loading up the jeep before driving to pick up the rental trailer. 250 lbs of stuff. The Innsbruck is a super light no frills trailer. I had the water filled before leaving, so that added some weight, but was still under 4,500 lbs I estimate. Just two of us riding in the keep, me 220 lbs, her 130.

Pulling power was no problem. Even from Durango to Ouray. But I had a minor white knuckle wind experience on I40 coming into Clovis NM from TX. Strong winds out of the south blew me around pretty good. I had just a ball hitch receiver, no special hitch or sway bars.

Without wind it tows just fine. But what I've read about the short wheelbase on the GC is true. I was fighting the sway pretty hard. Never felt like it was dangerous enough to pull over, but it was work.

In our RV park in Ouray there was a Geo Pro 19 with a grand Cherokee. I noticed it had a special hitch. I meant to chat them up as I'd like to keep my jeep and I've looked at the Geo Pro, but they left already so I wasn't able to get their feedback.

Your estimate is just a guess. It might be close, but it could be hundreds of pounds off. You wonโ€™t know until youโ€™ve weighed your rig at a CAT or other certified scale. Tongue weight is very important.
I would be very leery of towing a 20โ€™ trailer without a WD and some sort of sway control, especially if you tow in a windy area.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

bravelion
Explorer
Explorer

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
The yellow tire placard on the door of your Jeep should give you the cargo capacity.
Sounds as if the Jeep will be fine for what you want to do.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
should be ok. don't forget the weight of the hitch though (around 100 lbs)
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, sounds good. Even plenty of room for kids to get bigger ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
OP MIA cuzz he didnโ€™t hear what he wanted to hear?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jordan2110
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
You will have about 500 pounds on the tongue and maybe more. Subtract that from the payload of the Jeep and see what youโ€™ve got left for passengers and cargo in it.

So the Jeep has
Curb 4,965 Lbs.
Gross weight 6,500 Lbs.

So I calculate 1535 Lbs payload available.

4 Passengers = 420lbs
Tongue= 500lbs
Luggage/camping gear/kids **** = max 150lbs

So that equals 1070 lbs.

So it seems ok. Did I do my calculations correct.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
You will have about 500 pounds on the tongue and maybe more. Subtract that from the payload of the Jeep and see what youโ€™ve got left for passengers and cargo in it.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the GC isn't full of people you'll probably be ok, but you certainly won't win any races up steep grades but it should get you there.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldnโ€™t advise a single axel TT but others are ok with them. 772 pounds for trailer cargo of which 305 will be taken by fresh water. Better pack light...no bikes, firewood etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Could be. Whatโ€™s the Jeepโ€™s payload and max trailer weight? Who and what will be in the Jeep? PS...a WDH is a good idea but it doesnโ€™t increase max trailer weight and it uses about 75 pounds of payload. Your hitch weight is a dry weight. Loaded/wet itโ€™ll be more....500 pounds or so and that comes off your payload.