Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Which Stand-alone GPS system to purchase?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Which Stand-alone GPS system to purchase?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

D.E.Bishop wrote:

Could you explain how it's going to kill him.
Looking for a Walmart, Garmin will direct him around 8 blocks of right turns instead of a single left that's been there for 8 years, and enroute he'll get angry and run a red light, whereupon he'll be T-boned by a semi.
Well, one does have to mix in a little common sense. If you see the Walmart on the left, you should be able to figure out where to turn, rather than blindly following your GPS.

But also you should have known about it before hand when you double-checked the route. Blindly following a GPS, be it phone or stand alone, is just not a super smart thing to do.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

D.E.Bishop wrote:

Looking for a Walmart, Garmin will direct him around 8 blocks of right turns instead of a single left that's been there for 8 years, and enroute he'll get angry and run a red light, whereupon he'll be T-boned by a semi.

Oh, so you were just speaking "tongue in cheek"?[emoticon]

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

lance1

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

D.E.Bishop wrote:

Too funny. But I get you. Have had similar experience with my phone and google maps. Not a real issue in areas you are somewhat familiar with .... but in the areas you are not familiar with .. and hence the gps ... it can be a problem.

lance1

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THANK YOU ... Yosemite Sam1, Busdriver, p220sigman, D.E.Bishop, 4aSong and DutchmenSport.

Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

lance1

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

p220sigman wrote:

Used Garmin for years and never had any issues. Seems easy to use to me. Tried a Tom Tom years ago (someone gave it to my mother) and didn't like it at all. Out first van had an aftermarket DVD/Navigation head unit that was Garmin-based and it worked well also. Our second van had an aftermarket DVD/Navigation unit that was Magellan based and it was not user friendly at all. Ended up using my Garmin or phone instead.

I would imagine most of them are pretty similar now days. I'd go somewhere like a Best Buy that has a selection and just play with them and see which you feel most comfortable with. I would still verify, but I think lifetime map updates is pretty standard now.

I also borrowed a Tom Tom about 7-8 years ago and found it difficult to use .. but that was a long time ago and my guess is that it's much improved today and maybe just a learning curve like another user posted.

Regardless, I've been a "Sig Man" for about 20 years now ... so if you like "Sigs", I know what your opinion is worth. Seems like the general consensus is Garmin, but that all are pretty decent these days.

Thanks again for sharing your input.

2oldman

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

Oh, so you were just speaking "tongue in cheek"?[emoticon]
As were you.

2oldman

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lance1 wrote:

Have had similar experience with my phone and google maps.
I've had errors with google, yes, but significantly fewer of them than with my Garmin.

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still say go where you can play with a number of them and pick the one that seems most comfortable to you. You will find that all of the navigation sources (stand alone GPS or cell-based) will steer you wrong at times. Where I do prefer my phone over stand-alone is when I'm in an unfamiliar area and looking for a place to eat or similar. I've found the phone is more likely to be updated as to new places and places that may have closed recently.

Been a Sigman since 1994...

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

lance1 wrote:

Have had similar experience with my phone and google maps.
I've had errors with google, yes, but significantly fewer of them than with my Garmin.

But if you want hilarity when GPS pronounces names of cities and streets, get a Tom Tom and it's Dutch accent.

Mine was 10 years ago and equally good as Garmin. I just don't know lately.

lance1

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

p220sigman wrote:

I still say go where you can play with a number of them and pick the one that seems most comfortable to you. You will find that all of the navigation sources (stand alone GPS or cell-based) will steer you wrong at times. Where I do prefer my phone over stand-alone is when I'm in an unfamiliar area and looking for a place to eat or similar. I've found the phone is more likely to be updated as to new places and places that may have closed recently.

Been a Sigman since 1994...

Your thoughts are noted and I plan on going to Best Buy and checking out the units in stock.

However, the last time I checked GPS Units out at Best Buy about 4 years ago, they had some type of a demo video running in the units playing an advertisement and I couldn't actually play with the various settings ...... Don't recall which brand(s), but I know it wasn't worthwhile as it didn't let you do anything and all the same info was on the Internet. I will go there again just the same to see what I can play with these days.

Thank you.

Off topic, but if I can find a GPS unit that's half as accurate and reliable as my Sigs I'll be happy.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Which Stand-alone GPS system to purchase?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.