Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
krobbe

West Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had Kumho Radial 857 in 205/R14C load range D for several years now. Speed rating R(106mph), 65psi. Tire wear has been really good and they run cool. Bought thru Belle Tire special order (not cheap at $150). These are for commercial light truck, transporter, van and trailer per the manufacturer. Probably the only LT tire for 14's. I might buy again when needed if still available but will probably spend less with the GY Endurance. I have about 15,000 miles with no issues.
My other choice(which are installed on my single axle cargo trailer) is the GoodYear Endurance ST205/75/R14 load range D, speed rating N (87mph), 65psi. I have about 4000 miles on these and so far so good. A little more reasonable at $115.

* This post was edited 08/24/19 02:35pm by krobbe *

Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

72cougarxr7

Northern NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/19 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would upgrade to a load range d for extra safety margin. I dont know the weight of that trailer, but that size trailer is usually pushing the weight capacity of a load range c.
I put carlisle radial trail hd on my trailer last year and like them, looks like they m a ke one in your size in a load d and the price is nice!
Carlisle radial trail hd

gmw photos

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/19 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

krobbe wrote:

I've had Kumho Radial 857 in 205/R14C load range D for several years now. Speed rating R(106mph), 65psi. Tire wear has been really good and they run cool. Bought thru Belle Tire special order (not cheap at $150). These are for commercial light truck, transporter, van and trailer per the manufacturer. Probably the only LT tire for 14's. I might buy again when needed if still available but will probably spend less with the GY Endurance. I have about 15,000 miles with no issues.
My other choice(which are installed on my single axle cargo trailer) is the GoodYear Endurance ST205/75/R14 load range D, speed rating N (87mph), 65psi. I have about 4000 miles on these and so far so good. A little more reasonable at $115.

I too have a set of the Kumho 857's on my travel trailer. Been on there six years, and about 50K miles, still have good tread.

Another 14" LT that is similar to the Kumho is the Hankook RA18

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 04:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

amxpress wrote:

You can't go wrong installing a set of Maxxis M8008 ST tires. They are available in 8 ply rating.
Be sure to have them balanced.

X2 though I cannot imagine buying any tire and not having it balanced. [emoticon]

[emoticon]

Many, Many and the VAST MAJORITY of trailer manufacturers do not balance the tires on trailers since there is no real reason except to make one feel good to do so.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

amxpress

Clayton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/19 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Many, Many and the VAST MAJORITY of trailer manufacturers do not balance the tires on trailers since there is no real reason except to make one feel good to do so.

Sorry Larry,
I’ve yet to see any trailer manufacturer who balances their tires. Totally a cost factor. There is a reason to balance the tires, and not just to make you feel good. No need for me to expound as it would not make you feel good, and we wouldn’t want that...

2007 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab w/6.7 Cummins
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
Reese 15K Pro Series manual slide
Prodigy
Firestone Air Bags
Champion 3500 genny
M.I.L is out of state, out of touch, and out of her mind

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/19 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Larry

True this ...especially using the usual static tire balance machine that is used to balance our tow vehicle tires.

Which can actually make a tire/wheel and hub ass'y more out of balance depending on where those lead weights are placed on the trailers wheel.

Trailer leaf spring suspensions are very stiff and short 26" length leafs which act as a huge damper for any out of balance conditions on a new tire. Some folks point to a tire on a empty flatbed trailer jumping up and down at highways speeds. This is a faulty tire condition and no amount of lead weights will ever make it stop bouncing. BTDT when I was on the road. In my business we had no reloads back to the yard....so we pulled empty trailers back.

There are several reasons the industry over all doesn't balance a tire on trailer axles.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.