Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Clean Trucks? Electric Truck?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Clean Trucks? Electric Truck?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

In the interest of "buy it there then maybe export it to the USA", does anyone have any links to good online motorhome/camper listings in Europe?

I'm not seeing any.

Any thoughts as to motorhome/caravans that are climate controlled with generator for AC? And not ridiculously tiny?

We do have some European members, so maybe they will come with links to the listings?
Coming to generator and AC, not sure you want them in 240V version.
In Europe you don't have areas with triple Fahrenheit weather day around, while the engine AC does good job for cooling smaller RV.
The Mercedes 6-cylinder engine sips less fuel than Onan generator on propane anyway.

SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I liken diesel power with exhaust brake to electric power and regen to keep the speed down. I am firmly in the give me a capable electric truck and I will switch from my F450 in a heartbeat. I don't think it's that far in the future.

2019 Ford F450 KR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Look, you’re probably one of the posters I most respect here and you always know exactly what you're talking about. You have great ideas and solutions to problems. But isn't this just a little aggressive?

Hauling my truck camper "just fine" is a pretty subjective matter"

You're right, the last part was totally tongue in cheek though, should made a smiley with it!

Please don't take offense at a little sarcasm, I apologize. Subjective, yes, but just fine is what I meant. Everything is a bit of a tradeoff and while exhaust brakes are up there with beer in a can for great inventions, they are not in the least mandatory for simply hauling a truck camper down a grade. Even moreso with todays trucks with 6-8-10 gears, great lockup converter programming and other features that basically let the truck do everything for you except steer. What I should have said was, while I'd prefer a diesel, I'd have no issue doing the same TC hauling with a newer gasser except for the gas mileage and the fact that I might actually need to use the brakes going downhill.

Either way, employ the KISS principle. When in Rome.....It's probably better to have a Roman RV!
Cheers!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One more thought - if you have money to buy new RV, buying in Europe and shipping to US can save you a bundle on taxes.
There is a timeframe, so not sure if that would work for you, but Mercedes has "European delivery program" for generations, where you can order new car in US, then they will pay for you airfare to Frankfurt, where you can see your car leaving assembly lane, see the MB museum and enjoy few days of driving your car in Europe, before dropping it off at several possible points and then flying back to US. Your new car will arrive to US few weeks later and whole adventure cost several thousad$$ less, than buying new car in US.
The taxes you save by bringing "used car" to US pays for your vacations and still leave something.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

One more thought - if you have money to buy new RV, buying in Europe and shipping to US can save you a bundle on taxes.
There is a timeframe, so not sure if that would work for you, but Mercedes has "European delivery program" for generations, where you can order new car in US, then they will pay for you airfare to Frankfurt, where you can see your car leaving assembly lane, see the MB museum and enjoy few days of driving your car in Europe, before dropping it off at several possible points and then flying back to US. Your new car will arrive to US few weeks later and whole adventure cost several thousad$$ less, than buying new car in US.
The taxes you save by bringing "used car" to US pays for your vacations and still leave something.

I think you should open a university or something. How do you know all of this?? Another fantastic idea.

Tricky part is, I don't think Mercedes makes any RVs. They go off to conversion, right?

I did see it allows a full year to tour Europe before the Mercedes needs to be brought to the States.

crosscheck

Coldstream, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just like to add a few observations about RVing in Europe after 12 trips spanning 3 weeks to 12 months starting in 1967.

1) TC's are almost unheard of. The few you see are Tacoma sized trucks with small TC's. Your unit would be pretty high, with A/C unit, compared to even the largest class "A" units which are much smaller than their American cousins. This and the width including jacks could be problematic in the narrow streets of eropean towns and cities for driving and parking.

2) Since my first time in 1967 until our last time in 2017, there has been quite a change from tenting to hard side RV's including trailers, vans, class "A" and "C"'s with lots more campsites that supply AC power, dumpsites etc. Hardside RV's are everywhere so buying one that suits you would not be a problem.

3) A/C and generators are almost unheard of. 220V and 12 V fans are used exstensively when the weather is hot.

4) Because of the restriction of space in many areas and the price of fuel, European RV designers are pretty good at packing a lot of conveniences into small spaces and keeping the weight down, their units are fairly fuel efficient.

5) If you are planning to be in Europe for an extended period, during the cooler times of the year, southern Spain, Portugal, Italy, France, Morocco, Greece ,Turkey are all fairly warm in the day and cool at night, no A/C required. Plus there are many year round campgrounds in these areas. During the summer, northern Europe has very pleasant temperatures so as long as you have the time and are mobile, you can pick what ever weather you desire.

6) In 1991, when on a world tour, we bought a small, used class C near London, toured around Europe for 4 months and came back to London, sold it in 4 days. Got almost what we paid for it. Only small glitch is that I had to get used to the steering wheel on the right when on the continent. There are lots of places to buy RV's on the continent, Germany, Netherlands etc. They all speak English. Just google them.

7) Our last 7 tours to Europe have been cycling with all of our gear. Stayed in campsites most of the time but the odd time, primitive camped. In Many places this is frowned on. Might be easier in the off season to stealth camp than during to busy times(July/August), when all of Europe and half of the world is visiting.

Good luck no matter what you decide and have a good trip.

Dave

* This post was edited 08/23/19 11:36am by crosscheck *

2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

I think you should open a university or something. How do you know all of this?? Another fantastic idea.

Tricky part is, I don't think Mercedes makes any RVs. They go off to conversion, right?

I did see it allows a full year to tour Europe before the Mercedes needs to be brought to the States.

I was born in Europe (Poland) and am fascinated by European vacations for years. Did it the "hard way" in 2001, with rental car, covering 9 countries, but at the time cheap hotels run for $150 and finding one with attached bathroom was a challenge.
Too bad the only new Mercedes we ever bought was made in ... Alabama.
The Sprinters are made by Mercedes (again as they used to be made by Fiat few years ago), but it is not Mercedes who does conversion.
Stil tax rules apply to each imported vehicle and if you think you will go for new one, check how private import works.
Taxes in Europe can be as high as 30-40% and even we don't see them on stickers, they are not much lower on new vehicles in USA.
Lot of money can be saved if you figure out the system.
Talking about European weather again - the "hot" areas are along Mediterranean Sea, which have always some breeze.
I spend 2 summers in Greece, with tents and cooling was never an issue. Those were the years when a bottle of Metaxa cost $1, so long time ago [emoticon]
Suppose lately Europe has global warming, so that should be taken under consideration.

* This post was edited 08/23/19 01:48pm by Kayteg1 *

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the input and first hand experience.

I have a severe breathing problem. I can't be outside in times when the air quality goes "yellow" for particulates. Ozone isn't as bad for me. I actually can't breathe in these instances and my lungs fill with fluid.

So, I need to (ironically) run an air conditioner these conditions.

This only happens when it's humid and hot downwind of cities.

To avoid a medical emergency, I'd need air conditioning in the rig. Are at least some of the RVs doing AC these days?

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the most important part of this discussion is being left out. Do you have a pot of gold to work with or are you on a shoe string budget?

If money isn't a problem and you don't want to worry about a hassle, either buy something there that fits your needs or find a reputable RV rental company in Europe and rent from them. That way you get something that you know will work in that country.

American vehicles are HUGE compared to European vehicles. The last thing you would want to do is bring in a Huge American Truck and Camper and stick out like a sore thumb and have trouble navigating the narrow streets over there. Bringing your own vehicle I don't see as any sort of practical solution to this problem.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

I think the most important part of this discussion is being left out. Do you have a pot of gold to work with or are you on a shoe string budget?

If money isn't a problem and you don't want to worry about a hassle, either buy something there that fits your needs or find a reputable RV rental company in Europe and rent from them. That way you get something that you know will work in that country.

American vehicles are HUGE compared to European vehicles. The last thing you would want to do is bring in a Huge American Truck and Camper and stick out like a sore thumb and have trouble navigating the narrow streets over there. Bringing your own vehicle I don't see as any sort of practical solution to this problem.

Nothing extreme here. Not broke but no pot of gold either. Renting long term is just awful financially from what I've looked at. Just like here in the States. Cheaper to just get Airbnb apartments and low cost hotels than to rent RVs.

So, I'm looking to make a long term stay more reasonable, which is what I use my RV for in North America.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Clean Trucks? Electric Truck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.