Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: building new campground
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> building new campground

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
ncrowley

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For an overnight stop at an RV park, I would avoid the 8 mile drive one way and I would avoid dirt roads. If the RV park was a special destination, then I would consider it.

Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert Ackerman wrote:

You all can debate it until the cows come home...

Heh heh...dairy farm...cows come home...I see what you did there! Clever! [emoticon] LOL

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (22-Angel, Lexi96.org), 1 girl (17), 2 boys (19 & 16).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

T18skyguy wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

When traveling and looking for an " over nighter" the FIRST thing I look for is distance from the highway.... We are NOT retired and are traveling to get to our destination for vacation... IF I were a full timer, that would give me a different outlook on that..

As far as tax's and regulations, I agree that as soon as that is no longer a WORKING FARM, you will lose that benefit, whatever it may be..

What it's called is farm deferral of taxes. Farmers get a big reduction of property taxes as long as they farm it. A problem arises when someone new buys the property, and decides not to farm it. When this happens, they have to pay all the back taxes to the beginning of farm deferral, no matter how far back it is. Nobody typically does this, but some buyers are unaware of the law when they buy, and the County hands them a really big bill. I'm in Oregon and we have that here.

If it is were I’m thinking it is they are farming some grain and hops for beer.
I’m sure that would keep that going along with some rv pads

People "fudging" on farm deferral is beginning to be a hot button issue out here. I just read a big article on about how some people are buying large tracks of pristine pieces of land and trying to claim farm deferral. It's starting to get press now, and when that happens they'll clamp down and end the party. I don't know about New York.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

William B wrote:

time2roll wrote:

For overnighters I would go with 30 amp electric only and a central hose bib. No shower house, no club house, no dump, no swimming pool. Just a place to get a quiet night of rest. Probably cut your price a bit and see where it goes. You can always add more amenities but once that money is spent and this thing never takes off it could just be a sink hole. If it does take off you can keep your overnight section and start building a full service section.

Well, I don't mind the 8 miles in the least, but this would keep me away.
OK so enjoy the free WM or truck stop near the interstate and run your generator all night. Or pay $50+ for full services that are probably not used for an overnight.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One major item slightly touched on is whether the road is dirt or paved. Most rvers will not travel 8 miles of dirt road. It clogs our air filters, covers our tows in dust and gravel, and is just not desirable. This would be a deal breaker for many. If you proceed, one item I have found desirable, from owners and users point of view is unisex washrooms. Instead of having mens and womens, install x number of washrooms that is useable for either sex. This way the cleaners can close one at a time, and not disable the entire washroom. If you have tenters, and small campers, the washrooms become very important. We were at one campground this summer where they closed the shower house and bathrooms for a hour, at 8 in the morning for cleaning. What were they thinking. Many charge 50 cents or a dollar for a 10 minute shower. I will even use them on occasion. Its nice to just have a good, high pressure, hot shower once in a while that I dont feel like Im in a closet. Rv showers tend to be on the small side. Harvest Host could be a good angle, considering you have the brewery on site. Good luck.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a comparison, at least in terms of a stopover location, here's a campground that is about 5-6 miles off the interestate

http://www.benchmarkrv.net/index.html

I've stayed there once on my way to Texas, and plan on staying there again on my Christmas Texas trip.

It's $30 per night, but with Good Sams, I think it was $25 or $28

Concrete pads... all pull through's, Full Hook Up including cable and wifi.

Now, if you have a 50 amp rig, there is a slight up charge, EVEN if you say you will use the 30 amp plug. It was only a couple bucks, no big deal really.

It's a decent place to stop over night. Fairly close to the freeway. So, I would say comparable to what OP might be thinking. Just an example of what you might want to be prepared to offer/plan for. Didn't take up a lot of room. Two rows if I remember correctly.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

William B wrote:

time2roll wrote:

For overnighters I would go with 30 amp electric only and a central hose bib. No shower house, no club house, no dump, no swimming pool. Just a place to get a quiet night of rest. Probably cut your price a bit and see where it goes. You can always add more amenities but once that money is spent and this thing never takes off it could just be a sink hole. If it does take off you can keep your overnight section and start building a full service section.

OK so enjoy the free WM or truck stop near the interstate and run your generator all night. Or pay $50+ for full services that are probably not used for an overnight.

You make a highly uninformed assumption. There are plenty of convenient on/off campgrounds along the Interstates. While I do sometimes use Wal-Mart's RVers are getting kicked out of more and more so the 1-2 mile detour campground are where most of my overnight stops occur. I have literally never had to drive 16 miles out of my way to park a place to park for a few hours while I sleep.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

William B

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

William B wrote:

time2roll wrote:

I guess I should have been more specific in my answer. I couldn't care less about electric only, no showers, no club house, no dump, no pool, I do care about only 30 amp. I'm not starting a new can of worms but we haven't ever stayed at Walmarts, truck stops, etc, although we do boondocks now and then. My coach is much happier on 50 amp particularly in the heat than 30 and that would keep us away, not the 8 miles.

Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

William B

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

As a comparison, at least in terms of a stopover location, here's a campground that is about 5-6 miles off the interestate

http://www.benchmarkrv.net/index.html

I've stayed there once on my way to Texas, and plan on staying there again on my Christmas Texas trip.

It's $30 per night, but with Good Sams, I think it was $25 or $28

Concrete pads... all pull through's, Full Hook Up including cable and wifi.

Now, if you have a 50 amp rig, there is a slight up charge, EVEN if you say you will use the 30 amp plug. It was only a couple bucks, no big deal really.
We use this park often when we are moving from west to east, no facilities, full 50 amp hookups, and we don't mind the distance off the highway.

It's a decent place to stop over night. Fairly close to the freeway. So, I would say comparable to what OP might be thinking. Just an example of what you might want to be prepared to offer/plan for. Didn't take up a lot of room. Two rows if I remember correctly.

Mike

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Developers just bought about 7000ac of farms near me that have been ag exempt in like forever----Now do you really expect me to believe that since they aren't going to farm it but develop it into housing they are going to pay back taxes for all the previous time when it was farmed? Get real, I don't think that would fly anywhere.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> building new campground
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS