cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shower stall caulking.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my Cambria I see there is caulking where the side walls and floor pan meet.
The walls fit over the pan. The caulking is discolored and coming off, is it necessary for it to be there.
Not the original owner, second owner.
6 REPLIES 6

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
The shower pan should have a 2" lip behind the walls, and I agree with previous comments -- this gap shouldn't be caulked. When I installed a similar style shower at our home, the instructions were pretty clear about leaving that gap between the pan and the wall panels open. Depending on outside temps, you might wind up with condensation which will run down the back of the wall panels, and that needs a way to escape. Caulking would trap it.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
More than likely Winnebago used a Silicone caulk for this. You will never get new stuff to stick without removing all of the old stuff. And I mean ever trace. Probably more work than it is worth.

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
I have read, some years ago, that this joint, between the shower pan and the walls, should not be caulked, because caulking this junction will close off the space behind the shower enclosure so it cannot breathe, and moisture will then allow mold.
Considering how loosely my rig is put together, this seems unlikely.
Mine came from the factory caulked.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
"An ounce of caulk is worth a pound of cure"....well, in my book anyway. Probably not necessary but I re-caulk this seam about every 2-3 years just to be safe. Cheaper than having to remove shower for moisture/mold issue. I use Duralink 50 which stays 50% flexible for life (useful for RV that's constant vibrating/moving). I use this stuff for windows/vents/shower/exterior lights etc. and have had very good results.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
As long as the walls overlap the pan on the interior side of the pan, it's probably not necessary, except in the even of an overflow in the shower pan itself, but that would be another issue entirely. That caulking would then be the least of your worries.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
While water should not get over the pan lip, the caulk keeps water from sitting between the inside of the wall panel and the lip of the pan. That would not be accessible to clean and mold could form.