cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps don't stay out/shade won't go all the way down

Fastfreddy14
Explorer
Explorer
My friend has a recurring issue on his Fleetwood Storm motorhome that I need help with. When he parks the RV he puts the e-brake on, takes out the slides and puts down the auto leveling jacks witohut any issues. However if he goes to bring the power shades down in the front they only go halfway down and the steps also don't stay extended even with the switch in the OFF position. Also the chassis battery slowly drains and dies completely if he leaves everything overnight.

I figure the "brain" thinks the engine is still on maybe due to a power short somewhere or something. Any help in finding this short or issue would be great. I think there's also some kind of solenoid that disconnects the house from chassis battery when the engine is shut off. This could also be the culprit maybe... still need help finding and diagnosing the issue.
10 REPLIES 10

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
The "tell" that the Ignition side of the Key switch is NOT OFF is the Power Shades. Some Power Shades have an Ignition override that keeps the shades from going to far down when the Ignition is ON. This prevents a malfunction while driving that would lower the shades all the way and completely block the drivers field of vision. The 2nd "tell" is the fact that the steps will not stay extended. That means the Ignition 12 volt signal is at the step control to tell the steps tp retract. The last "tell" the chassis battery going dead in 24 hours. A GOOD fully charged battery will not go dead in 24 hours with a nominal draw caused by a failed circuit. So, I will bet he has a problem with the Ignition side of the Motorhome staying energized when the Key is OFF. Doug

Good catch. I didn't pick up on that. that is definitely something to check.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Fastfreddy14
Explorer
Explorer
I agree Doug. It’s definitely all related to the same problem. I just need to isolate that problem.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The "tell" that the Ignition side of the Key switch is NOT OFF is the Power Shades. Some Power Shades have an Ignition override that keeps the shades from going to far down when the Ignition is ON. This prevents a malfunction while driving that would lower the shades all the way and completely block the drivers field of vision. The 2nd "tell" is the fact that the steps will not stay extended. That means the Ignition 12 volt signal is at the step control to tell the steps tp retract. The last "tell" the chassis battery going dead in 24 hours. A GOOD fully charged battery will not go dead in 24 hours with a nominal draw caused by a failed circuit. So, I will bet he has a problem with the Ignition side of the Motorhome staying energized when the Key is OFF. Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
On a modern motor home the steps should not stay out with the switch in teh OFF position (On older ones. yes. that's how they work) Kwikee has two differnt step controllsers one is more retangular/squarish and on that one OFF is OFF (Save they will come in with ignition running and door closed)

The new one is a trapizoid. appears almost triangular.. The switch is called OVERRIDE and needs to be ON to lock 'em out

There is a 5 amp fuse that feeds this switch and nothing else.

Can't help with the other issues.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Fastfreddy14
Explorer
Explorer
I’ll check the isolation switch and report back.

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Following! We have the same issue with our steps. Currently, we crawl on the ground and unplug the wiring harness under the camper to keep the steps out when camping.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I would check all of the batteries (chassis and coach) and test whether the battery isolator is functioning correctly. In many rigs the steps are powered by the chassis battery - in my rig I switched that over to the coach batteries to lessen/mitigate chance of being stranded with dead engine.
Kevin

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. Test battery.
As far as the shades, they may have to be relearned. Both key on and key off settings.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
X's 2 on the low battery.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
my steps act strange when my battery is low. might do a battery test.