cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nothing Stays secure!

chuckFF5
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2018 Raptor 355TS. We haul a golf cart or our RZRXP 1000. I cant keep either toy tight in the garage for the life of me. Ive upgraded to big heavy duty ratchet straps and use 4 wheel chocks with the toys ratcheted down hard onto the chocks. Every time i stop for fuel or we get where we are going, they have come loose and have shifted or the wheel is turned all the way one direction or the other. Its so frustrating. Whats the secret?
2003 Ford F250 crew cab 6.0 PSD
2006 Escape (DW'S)
2006 Palomino Puma 282 rkss
1 Hot Wife
2 Black Labs
19 REPLIES 19

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my toyhauler and hauled the polaris ranger,I never tied the suspension down. I tied the axles. The body was free to bounce,but never had a strap loosen.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

SMarquez
Explorer
Explorer
I just tied down an EZ Go cart this weekend using Husky 1" ratcheting straps in a small trailer. This cart had a couple oblong holes in a frame cross member below the floorboard. One strap went forward from the hole to a stake pocket up front and another to the back stake pocket. This was done on both sides. The tires bump up against the frame of the trailer so it get snugged down against something solid. This is the way this cart gets tied all the time and goes from SoCal to Scottsdale, Paso Robles and Tulsa, OK every year. There is no problem with this method at all. I don't own the cart but I would use a little beefier tied downs if I did.

Braveheart
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I wouldn't collapse the suspension completely - you're just asking for damage.

Is it as simple as not putting enough wraps of strap on your ratchet?

I've installed etrack and over-wheel tie downs for DW's trike. It was very difficult to access the hook points for straps. Over-wheel takes 30 seconds.

This is a common problem many people make. Have slack in you straps and rathet them until snug. You should have at least 3 wraps of the strap on the ratchet before it is snug.
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ
2005 Fleetwood Gearbox 300FS
2012 RZR 4 800
Fight On!

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
My RZR would also come loose. Turns out I was using poor quality ratchet straps.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Wheel nets by Macs Custom Tiedowns
Bob

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Just strap down the wheels you'll be fine.

https://www.harborfreight.com/over-the-wheel-tie-down-bonnet-62807.html
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

dedmiston
I love our Vulcan straps. They lasso around the wheels and nothing ever moves.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
We have one strap running from front to back and one back to front and never had an issue with it coming loose.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've tried strapping vehicles "every which way but loose". The only thing that kept the vehicles from moving and loose straps was E-tracks with tire bonnets.
The E-tracks kept all vehicles from moving and can be positioned anywhere in the trailer with full length E-tracks.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
When we float equipment, we use four tie downs. Two at the front crossed in an x, and two at the back, crossed in an x. Nothing moves tied this way.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I always try to strap the tires and the axles and not compress the suspension of whatever I am tying down. I mention the axles only because I used to rely only on wheel bonnets and on a trip back from Glamis I had two tires go flat basically rendering the bonnets useless.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I wouldn't collapse the suspension completely - you're just asking for damage.

I've installed etrack and over-wheel tie downs for DW's trike. It was very difficult to access the hook points for straps. Over-wheel takes 30 seconds.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try using tie downs with carabiners instead of hooks. Maybe try strapping them down solidly using spacers, perhaps wood blocks, between the axles/frames and the floor. Thus you don't give the tires a chance to move any.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jhlady
Explorer
Explorer
I stop an hour or so down the road and re-tension my tie down straps as necessary. Once re-tensioned I don't have to do this again until I re-load. Works for me, hope it helps you.