Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Propane tank recertification
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Propane tank recertification

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the rule is in place ... just in case. It’s not really that big of an issue. If you have standard sized tanks, do a tank exchange. Otherwise, it’s 12 years for the tanks manufacture date to need recertification and every 5 years, thereafter.

Also, it means you don’t have to find out on the road that all of your propane leaked out or worse catch fire/blow up. Now, most of our TCs have propane detectors, so for the most part, you have it go off if you have a leak to the inside of the TC.

As far as side businesses are concerned, they may or may not check. I had a local place fill without and within a week, had a Love’s truck stop point it out. I actually didn’t know they had expired. Turns out my tank manufacture date was before the TC manufacture date. If they do notice and refuse to refill and you are on the road, it would be an extreme hassle.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Ski Pro 3

bye

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

1 more observation.
When you take your cylinders to gas station who also sells propane as side business - they never take a look at certifications.
Done it 4 times in last year.

Never. Except when they do. My tanks have been checked every place I've ever taken them including gas stations selling propane. Expired date, they ask me to move along as they do not cert. Which is how I discovered my local RV parts/repair shop sells propane cheaper than anyone else and certs for $5.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ski Pro 3 wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

1 more observation.
When you take your cylinders to gas station who also sells propane as side business - they never take a look at certifications.
Done it 4 times in last year.

Never. Except when they do. My tanks have been checked every place I've ever taken them including gas stations selling propane. Expired date, they ask me to move along as they do not cert. Which is how I discovered my local RV parts/repair shop sells propane cheaper than anyone else and certs for $5.

X2
They are getting more diligent, mine are checked almost every time.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Internal inspection is not necessary, as there is no oxygen or water, hence no corrosion.
I have 100 # bottles made in the 1940s, 20-30# s made in the 80s. Its the external appearance of the bottle and valve requirement that determines refill. Old bottles can be recertified every 5 years forever if they appear sound and have proper valves.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Tanks have different certifications than cylinders and cylinders don't have relief valves.
Sounds like re-certifications vary by state, or maybe by the technicians.
I spend some time on the net searching and could not find official page saying what it takes.

TANKS.....ASME jurisdiction
No recertification required
Tanks have thicker walls and unless dmaaged from accident/fire etc no requirements to replace
Surface rust needs to be properly taken care off
Recommended relief vlave sbe replaced after 10 years

Cylinders....DOT jurisdiction
Recertification required 10 years after date of MFG (stamped on collar (was 12 year....changed to 10 years)
3 levels of recertification
"External Visual"....good for 5 years
“Proof-Pressure” ....good for 10 years
“Volumetric Expansion”....good for 10 years

OPD Valves...Overfill Protection Device
Have a float that stops liquid propane filling at 80% capacity
Have a 'spring loaded' shutoff vlave that prevent any vapor flow w/o a hose connected
Have a Fixed Level Gauge (Bleeder Valve) that spits liquid porpabne at the 80% liquid level
Have a RELIEF Valve (incorpoated in the body of OPD)

DOT jurisdiction is because 'consumers' handle, transport, connect/disconnect the propane cylinders
phmsa DOT propane

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

tuna fisher

joshua tree ,ca.

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I worked for Amerigas the last 15 years I worked before retirement and here's what we did for inspection. All visual, decals , dents and pitting due to rust, that was it. Tanks just don't wear out, I've seen home tanks in the field from the early 40's.

By the way exchange tanks weather Blue Rhino or Amerigas are not filled to 80% there all shy by about 1 gallon. If you want to replace your exsisting 20lb tank that's a good way to go other than that it's a rip off.

Again tanks don't where out with maintenance!!! I'm sure some one is going to argue with me on that.

2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!">

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tuna fisher wrote:

Again tanks don't where out with maintenance!!!

What do you mean by maintenance?

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

tuna fisher wrote:

Again tanks don't where out with maintenance!!!

What do you mean by maintenance?

Appearance is almost everything when certificating..I just had my 1990 propane tanks re certified last fall..I took them out/cleaned them up and repainted them careful not to cover any decals that are on it..

I keep my tanks looking new, for me and the fella filling them..

'94 Ford DRW/460
Lance 9.6
Yamaha Rhino in tow
Elk hunt'n Idaho

tuna fisher

joshua tree ,ca.

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As above, keep them clean with fresh paint, don't set on dirt, just common sense. The only thing that can go wrong is the valve going out, easy to replace. Not much to take care of. as far as dents, you really have to work at them to dent a tank. The only things that will make your tank bad is pitting and dents other than that, just the valve as stated above.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those proclaiming for tank exchange, most (all?) exchanges only fill the tank with 16 lbs of propane. 20% less than filling your own tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Propane tank recertification
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS