cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sealant, Weatherproof Tape, & Coating; Or Sealant & Coating?

BreakAes
Explorer
Explorer
Someone in one of my threads said he used 3 types of products when sealing his RV: Sealant, Eternabond Tape, and an RV Coating.

I watched a couple videos where people are using Eternabond Tape, and like it:

https://youtu.be/AgNaUgPiwaE
https://youtu.be/spdYGUtZVcU

But other people have warned me about using Weatherproof Tape like the Eternabond brand. And I read that if there's an issue with the tape, water can get inside it and cause problems, and sometimes screws can eventually poke through it, if you run the tape over screws.

I also saw that the 4EvaSeal brand of tape might be better than the Eternabond brand, but I've never used these tapes.

At this point I'm leaning towards just using non self-leveling sealant for the sides of my truck camper, and self-leveling sealant for the roof, and finding the best RV Coating for aluminum, as a secondary measure to seal the camper.

I haven't even gotten to use my camper at all since I bought it, due to a leak somewhere. Whatever route I take, I want it to be done right the first time, and hopefully for the lifetime of this camper, or at least for the duration that I own it!

I also need to do more research into RV Coatings for aluminum, but so far the Henry's brand seems like it might be good.

Let me know your thoughts on using Weatherproof Tape, and/or if just using Sealants and an RV Coating is a good idea.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

BreakAes
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1996 Lance Squire 8000, and I understand it has an aluminum roof.

At this point, for the roof I'm thinking about using Heng's NuFlex 311 Self-Leveling Silicone as a sealant, and Henry Tropi-Cool 887 Silicone White Roof Coating afterwards.

In one of the Amazon reviews for Heng's NuFlex 311 someone said, "Sticks well to other silicones (including CSL)."

Does anybody know if the Henry Tropi-Cool 887 Coating will stick to the Lance aluminum roof without using a primer?

I called Henry, and the rep told me the Tropi-Cool 887 Coating won't stick to Eternabond tape, although I did see that Eternabond makes tapes out of stuff like aluminum. Regardless, I'm thinking about just using a Sealant, and then an RV Roof Coating.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts on this plan, etc.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
I use all three on my rubber roof. Eternabond works, I'm not familiar with the tape you are considering.
If you apply Eternabond properly, it will be a one time repair.

I've used Eternabond tape for 20 years around vents and seams on a couple of motorhomes and applied properly, I can say that I've never had a leak anywhere after applying it.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
For maintaining seals I use Dicor on the roof and Lexel on the sides. If there is a tear on the roof I have used Eternabone Tape (The best one..self sealing) and then I use Dicor on the edges. Never had a problem.

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
BreakAes wrote:

But other people have warned me about using Weatherproof Tape like the Eternabond brand. And I read that if there's an issue with the tape, water can get inside it and cause problems, and sometimes screws can eventually poke through it, if you run the tape over screws.

Whoever those "PEOPLE" you referred to IMO are giving you bum advice and I would never listen to them in the future. Also, whatever you are reading I would throw that source out too since unless you trapped moisture under the tape, if it's applied properly water WILL NOT get inside it. FInlly I would put Eternabond at the top of resisting any screw heads penetrating the tape since the microsealant will give a lot so the screw has to really back out a lot to even possibly cause an issue and other "TAPES" IMO will fail light years behind of Eternabond tape.

IMO using any other "TAPE" other than Eternabond is going second rate and I would not recommend it.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I have trapped water with Eternabond in the past. It was my fault, and even though it had been there for years there was no damage. If you're laying the tape down on flat surface and not trying to be creative, it work just fine. The main thing about it is that it lasts for years and years. The caulks you mentioned are good, but they will crack over time. A combination of the three isn't a bad thing. I laid Eternabond over some self leveling sealant, then added sealant to the wrinkled edges of the tape just to be sure. It's worked great for years that way. Later, I covered the entire shebang with Heng's roof coating. Now it's nice and uniform and so far still looks good though it's only been about 18 months.

One awesome thing about the roof coating was how much cooler it stayed inside. The old rubber roof was getting pretty black.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"and hopefully for the lifetime of this camper, or at least for the duration that I own it!"

No one fix will work for the "lifetime of this camper." What is lifetime is regular inspection and maintenance...at least every six months.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I use all three on my rubber roof. Eternabond works, I'm not familiar with the tape you are considering.
If you apply Eternabond properly, it will be a one time repair.