cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brakes and Steering on a 1984 Itasca P30 and convertor

tandtb
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank everyone who responded to my last post. I am new to all this and recently purchased the above Rv. I find alot of play in the steering wheel and when using the brakes when I first stop it is pretty strong the second time it goes down a great deal and although it will stop it is pretty scary. Is there any place that sells parts for this year Itasca? We live in the Nashville area and I have called over 30 people who claim they work on RV's and no one would touch this because of the age. Any suggestions regarding the brakes and steering would be greatly appreciated. In addition the convertor that is in it will not reset the breaker...and when I plug in the RV chord and downsize it and plug in to a 30 amp it does not come on..the list goes on but these are the most important items. Thanks for your help everyone
12 REPLIES 12

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I am surprised to hear that! I have a 2001 workhorse chassis and have had 2 different Chevy dealerships do service on it just this summer. One in Iowa and the other in Montana. I spent about $1450 with them and they seemed happy to get my money.

Good luck, I hope you get it fixed!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

tandtb
Explorer
Explorer
yes I did and they will not touch it

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried a Chevrolet dealer that services trucks? They are pricey but I have had them fix P 30 chassis for me.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Any shop that can handle 1 ton pickup should be able to work on a P-30. It uses many of the components of a pickup and P-30 are the same. There is some that are special but not many.
You could go to "napaonline.com " and get list of shops. Go to bottom of home page, in right corner click on "find an autocare center"

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

tandtb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ken....I have called numerous truck repair shops etc in this area and due to the age of the unit no one will work on it...i keep looking

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
For any of the chassis components (brakes, steering, engine, tires, suspension etc), get recommendations for a good truck repair shop. None of those components are supplied or built by the RV manufacturer. They just build the coach on top of the chassis they purchase from Workhorse, Ford etc.
As for your electrical issues, Ouch. Others will chime in and hopefully give electrical sketches on how things work in an RV.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Plugging into a 220 volt system is bad but should not have anything to do with loose steering or bad brakes. I think you need to take it to a good shop for evaluation and service. The P 30 has power brakes that are powered by the power steering pump. It could be possible that the steering and brake problems are related.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If the dryer is a three prong receptacle it does not have a neutral.
The RV has an isolated ground in the round pin. You have just pushed 240 volts into a 120 volt system.
It is difficult right now to determine how much damage has been done.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
That don't sound good

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
tandtb wrote:
Thanks for the info I plug it into the socket for my dryer which is 30 amp

oh ****. how did you plug it in? Did you make an adapter yourself? Maybe (hopefully) I'm remembering this wrong, but I know my old house had a 30a dryer, but it was 220v.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

tandtb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info I plug it into the socket for my dryer which is 30 amp

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Many parts for Chev P-30 can be purchased at O'Reilly's.
Your electrical issue needs clarification.
Rig has a fifty amp cord which you use a 50 to 30 adpater and then plug into what? Make sure what you are plugging into is a receptacle that has a neutral if using a large receptacle. An example is a welding receptacle they have a ground but no neutral.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow