Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What do you want in a campground?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What do you want in a campground?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One good thing about snowbirding is that most of us are too old to want a loud, alcoholic party; except for spring break. Actually, mostly being in state and federal campgrounds we rarely encounter excessive noise. When it does happen shouldn't be tolerated.

Jayco-noslide

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not the booze, noise nor music per se but it's when they keep going past quiet time.

We can even be considerate as when a fellow camper asked us to shut off our generator because his baby is sleeping. It's good the inside of the RV is still tolerable, otherwise, I would have read him my rights, lol, and had he protested, an addendum that if his baby is too sensitive to the noise, they should just have stayed home.

That's why I like national, state, country and city parks, they impose the rules. In Yosemite, my kids almost got booted out for laughing too loud while catching up in their reunion for not seeing each other for a quite a long while.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp673 wrote:

Still enjoying this thread and making me realize that I actually like variation. My first response was based around a standard camping trip in which I prefer the state park "Tent camping" type experience but with hookups. While this is true when we are doing a typical family camping trip, a lot of the posts following mine complaining about noise and music got me thinking that it really all depends. We used to be seasonal and loved partying at the campground. Myself and a few others had guitars going, big fires, it was a blast. Some folks reading this I'm sure are rolling their eyes, but while we are not seasonal now I still love a campground party when it's the right atmosphere at a campground. Also love music festivals, specifically Bluegrass where we jam and play music until 3am where the rules are flipped on their head. You want to sleep, go somewhere else. Ha! Then we head to a state park and want to enjoy some quiet. So in general I have enjoyed this thread, and while I attempted an answer a few pages ago, I quickly realized that I / we like many different types of campground all based around the expectation and why we are there. Sometimes we like it quiet, sometimes loud, sometimes lots of music, sometimes none, sometimes its just a place to sleep, and sometimes it a place we dont leave... It's the beauty of camping / RV'ing to me...

^^^^Well Said^^^

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many people seem to be able to put up with a lot of inconvenience as long as they have power, water and a bath house.

I just want it to be beautiful .

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 02:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say my needs varies, some times a quick overnight other times a destination campground and some times close proximity to where I need to be.

I use Passport America for quick overnights, there usually in quite remote areas. If visiting family proximity is important in a campground.

As for the campground good drainage, decent roads, no low tree's, adequate space, friendly staff, good water, good voltage, doesn't look like a grapes of wrath campground.

* This post was edited 10/06/19 08:21am by colliehauler *

siamese

anywhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't really camp. Our 26 travel trailer is sort of our mobile house, so scenery and amenities aren't very important to us. We just like to be near historical sites, museums, or other things we like to do. A big parking lot with hookups and in the middle of the city would be just fine with us.

- Easy in and out
- quiet
- concrete or at least dry pad
- reasonably level
- full hookups
- some separation from others, but mostly value quiet
- good, reasonably priced laundry
- Some shade in summer, but we mostly camp down south in winter
- a place to walk is nice
- Did I mention quiet?

We often stay at Walmart for a single night on our way somewhere. Frequently find a spot that's quiet, and we couldn't be happier. Watching TV late at night and get a hankering for a key lime yogurt....just stroll in and get it.

Stuff we don't care about or want:

- pool
- clubhouse
- activities
- scenery / view

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

peace and quiet

* This post was last edited 10/06/19 08:35pm by winnietrey *   View edit history

frisbeekev

Burtonsville, md

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I look for A level or somewhat level site. Sites that aren't right on top of each other. Also amenities for my kids, cause let's face it when they are entertained then my camping trip is more relaxing.

w4phj

Vero Beach

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quiet with a scenic view, simple....

2005 Bounder 37U Cat C7 Engine
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

I was a host at Meramec for a month. Will never return. I have spent time in most of Mo state parks, and that was the worse managed I have been in.

Poorly managed state parks seems to be a running theme, I have the same opinion of Kansas state parks.

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 20

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What do you want in a campground?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.