cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stink Bugs

scotty46
Explorer
Explorer
Was invaded by "stink bugs" last week end. Found 2- dozen everywhere including inside air conditioner. Any for good deterrent. Hesitant to use killer sprays as we have two small dogs
16 REPLIES 16

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
I was just in Lancaster PA and usually have tons there... did not see a one..... Instead, they were over come with those Spotted Lantern Fly,,,

I'm just across the river and they are fewer in number this year. I think that there are now some predators feeding on them.

I was just in Lancaster PA and usually have tons there... did not see a one..... Instead, they were over come with those Spotted Lantern Fly,,,
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
They actually can bite, or pinch, whatever. I once took out a pair of socks and put them on. Shortly, I experienced an uncomfortable feeling on the top of my foot. Thought I had laced my shoes too tight, so adjusted. It happened again. I finally took my sock off and there was a live stink bug who had found a warm place to hide in my sock! There were actually two in there and I had a mark where he had been pinching me. Didn't break the skin, but it hurt a bit anyway.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't have any in my area...yet.

For Chinese Lady Beatles I found a product called Tempo. You mix it with water and use a garden sprayer to spray it on the outside of you house, TT, or whatever. You go around the doors, windows, slides, or any other place they are likely to enter. It leaves a residue when it drys and as the bugs crawl though it the get it on themselves and they die rather quickly.

The product would be about as safe as anything for pets or people because we are not crawling through the cracks like bugs are. It may work on stinkbugs too.

Check it out on-line and see what the labels says.

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
Their only natural enemy is a wasp found only in Asia. We live in the woods and have been dealing with them for the last five years or so. The best solution is to keep your house as tight as possible so that they can't get in. Once they are in, the Bugzooka is the best solution because you can catch them without touching or crushing. They seem to be immune to normal bug killers at least when used in approved quantities.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Stink bugs are annoying, but they do not bite, or get into food,

But one did get into my wine glass while sitting around campfire.....most disgusting flavor I've ever experienced.
Wife thought I was having a heart attack.

:E

Nasty!
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Stink bugs are annoying, but they do not bite, or get into food,

But one did get into my wine glass while sitting around campfire.....most disgusting flavor I've ever experienced.
Wife thought I was having a heart attack.

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Stink bugs are annoying, but they do not bite, or get into food, or breed in your RV, or do much of anything else, other than stink if you crush them. If left alone they'll die in short order anyway. Just vacuum them up, either dead or alive.

I would certainly not be setting off multiple bug bombs in an RV.

If your in an area polluted with them, you can keep setting off all the bombs you care to. Every time you have a day that warms up and then drops into the low 50's / 40's at night they're going to come looking for the heat when that happens. It wont stop until the temps are consistently lower than 40-50. It's an Autumn issue,at least in Northern states, which is why you see few inside if any the rest of the year.

Hope for a colder than normal winter, that tends to knock the whole population back for a few years in an area.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Stink bugs are annoying, but they do not bite, or get into food, or breed in your RV, or do much of anything else, other than stink if you crush them. If left alone they'll die in short order anyway. Just vacuum them up, either dead or alive.

I would certainly not be setting off multiple bug bombs in an RV.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

chindog
Explorer
Explorer
A squirt of soapy water will disable them. Or, catch them in some tissue and flush down the toilet.
2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, no ladybugs but lot of stink bugs. Both are better than ants.

I wonder whose turn it is next year. ๐Ÿ™‚
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've posted twice recently about Stink Bugs and was going to post another follow up this morning, so thanks for starting this thread.

So far, my strategy is working. Last Fall we set off 3 bug bombs in the 5er (41 feet long), and it immediately took down the hoard. We were sweeping dead stink bugs out of the camper for the next 2 weeks. After 2 weeks we set off 3 more, because we started noticing live ones again. We did this a total of 3 times, ever 2 weeks apart and finally, no more stink bugs.

Fast forward. All Summer this year, we've not seen a single Stink Bug again, until just about 3 or 4 weeks ago. So we repeated the pattern. We set off 3 bug bombs again when the camper was closed up and we were heading out for a week-end. When we reached our campsite, the spray and dissipated and there was no more smell, and dead stink bugs on the floor and everywhere again. Sweep, sweep, sweep for the next few days.

We waited 2 weeks and did the same thing again when leaving home for the next camp-out. Less bugs, but ever since we find several dead ones every morning now. The only "live ones" we find are on the outside of the camper.

I think the bug bombs sprayed it's poison into all the cracks and crevasses and anywhere bugs found a place t enter. When the bugs do crawl through, they are now rubbing against the dried bug bomb spray and it kills them before they have a chance to populate inside the camper, or worse, reproduce.

The only thing we do after igniting the bombs is to wipe down the counter tops, the stove top, the kitchen table, and wash the bed linens. These are items we do all the time anyway. In addition, the floor gets swept clean and mopped at the end of every week-end, if not sooner. We have no carpet, but do have throw rugs, and they get washed occasionally too.

We make sure all the dog bowls and all food is stowed away before setting the bombs off. They's why we do it right before we travel, everything is stowed away.

Bug bombs do work against Stink Bugs because they will penetrate every crack those bad boys can enter and the residue left behind will continue to work for almost another 6 or 7 months.

If you do this, you will find them dead on the floor, in your window tracks, on top of the refrigerator, on counter tops, in shoes, under floor mats and rugs, under furniture, pretty much everywhere. BUT!!! they are dead!

FYI, we get the cheap-o 4 pack of bug bombs from Dollar General. They work pretty good. And oh ... we have no spiders or ants either.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Unfortunately, they are not native and have no known predators. We use a Bugzooka which sucks them into a chamber and then I let them die in there and put the carcasses outside when we leave a camp.

We have been dealing with them for probably 10+ years, but we don't have that many anymore. I've been getting a half dozen every week now.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
You can blame them on us. We volunteered in New Jersey in 2014 up in the NW area of the state. We didn't know anything about stink bugs then but we did have a few. Our volunteer position was over after Labor Day so we packed up and pulled in our slides and that was when we were overrun with stink bugs. Hundreds and hundreds of them. Little stinkers were everywhere on the slides. All I can say is we were chasing stinkbugs out of the 5er for the next 10 months from NJ through Chicago suburbs down to Missouri and Kansas into Texas after a winter in Texas we headed north to Alaska chasing out stinkbugs all along the way. Sorry.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu