cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using Winegard Satelite Dish Far From Home???

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just got back from a trip to Yellowstone from our home in Alabama. We could never get our Winegard Roof Dome Antenna and Direct Satellite Receiver functioning properly.

I admit that this is all pretty new to us, but we did get it all to work before we left home.

Our dish system is pretty simple, just turn it on and let it find the satellite. Then we have to go through set up mode on the Direct receiver. We could never get the thing working. We tried at 3 differ locations while on the trip. They all had unobstructed views of the southern sky.

I guess we should have called Winegard or Direct help line, but we never really needed it to work to actually watch something important, we were just making sure we knew how to use it. Well obviously we didn't and it was usually late in the day when we tried and we just gave up.

My question is, since we travelled a long ways west and a long ways north, is there something we should have done differently to set up the antenna or Direct receiver to tell it we needed to look at a different satellite or whatever?

Thanks for any help,
bradw
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos
15 REPLIES 15

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Certainly might be. I worked for Winegard and I have never heard of it.

Thanks again, your info has been very helpful.

bradw
Wake Up America

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Certainly might be. I worked for Winegard and I have never heard of it.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winegard P4

Me thinks that P4 may be something they cooked up just for Lance.

bardw
Wake Up America

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
BradW wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Personally, I would select 18" round at that will pull in 101 only. There's nothing available on 119 unless you use some special language programming.
The dome (an R4, not P4) also has 2 outputs. If you (or someone) ran both coax into the coach you can use the 2nd tuner of the DVR as well.
Glad to hear you have it working!

Thanks for the info. The reason we selected (18 x 20 โ€œtriple-sat-LNB) instead of (18โ€ Round LNB) was when we first called Winegard helpline several months back, that is what they sugested. I will try 18" Round LNB next time we have the receiver out there.

The display showed two 101 satellites and two 119 satellites. It showed a check mark by both 119's, but only one of the 101's. If 119's don't have anything on them I need, then I don't need them.

I'm pretty sure our model number is P4, but I will check it again.

The dome came with our 2019 Lance truck camper and was installed at the factory. It appears they only ran one coax.

Thanks for your help,
bradw

While I am not familiar with a P4, there is also not an R4, my bad. There is a T4 (watch TV while in motion), D4 Durasat (most meant for truckers) and a G3 (auto dome but works while parked only).
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Personally, I would select 18" round at that will pull in 101 only. There's nothing available on 119 unless you use some special language programming.
The dome (an R4, not P4) also has 2 outputs. If you (or someone) ran both coax into the coach you can use the 2nd tuner of the DVR as well.

Thanks for the info. The reason we selected (18 x 20 โ€œtriple-sat-LNB) instead of (18โ€ Round LNB) was when we first called Winegard helpline several months back, that is what they sugested. I will try 18" Round LNB next time we have the receiver out there.

The display showed two 101 satellites and two 119 satellites. It showed a check mark by both 119's, but only one of the 101's. If 119's don't have anything on them I need, then I don't need them.

I'm pretty sure our model number is P4, but I will check it again.

The dome came with our 2019 Lance truck camper and was installed at the factory. It appears they only ran one coax.

Thanks for your help,
bradw
Wake Up America

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, thanks again for all the advice and help. Based on the info provided, I updated my own instructions as shown below. We went out and tried it and it worked.

Based on the info y'all provided, I only have to reset the Direct receiver when I move it between the house and camper. Once in the camper, I won't have to reset it when we move to a new location.

And I also learned there is nothing special I need to do when we travel from the southeast to out west....like select another satellite.

Thanks again for the help,
bradw

Set-Up Camper DirectTV - 11/01/19
-Should only have to reset Direct Receiver when it is moved between house to camper
-Direct Receiver Model: HR24
-Winegard Roof-Mounted Dome Antenna Mod: Road Trip P4
-Connect DVR (Sat Input 1) to satellite antenna COAX
-Turn on TV using power button on Jensen TV control
-Dish receiver on 480P, then push RES button to select
-Connect white, red, and yellow cables between TV and DVR
-Press โ€œSourceโ€ button on Jensen TV remote and select โ€œAVโ€
-Select 480P on DVR with RES Button
-DirecTV remote โ€“ hold โ€œexitโ€ to confirm 480P
-DirectTV DVD Remote
-press โ€œmenuโ€
-โ€œrepeat satellite setupโ€
-press Dash ( - )
-Dish type: 18 x 20 โ€œtriple-sat-LNB (other option not selected was 18โ€ Round LNB)
-RB/INTL: none selected
-switch type: multi switch
-tuners: single
-continue
-Turn antenna on and let dish find satellite
-Retest
-Screen will show 101 and 119 with check marks (3 of 4)
-continue
-continue
-set up remote later
-screen message will read โ€œreceiving satellite infoโ€
-continue
-DVR Receiver will reboot itself (takes about 10 minutes)
-watch DirectTV
Wake Up America

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Don't confuse the Sat set up in the receiver with the normal boot-up sequence. Chuck

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
You would need to go through the receiver setup once and only once unless you move the receiver between home and RV. If that's the case, you must go through the receiver setup before you try to have the antenna search for the satellite as it will not be able to do so with any of the home setup settings. In the RV you want to have the receiver set to 18" round and Multi-switch to allow the antenna to locate the 101 satellite.
He's got the Trav'ler that gets all three sats with the push of a button.

The OP (BradW) has a dome and not a Trav'ler. That's who I was responding to. Not sure who you are referring to.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
What model Winegard Antenna are you using and what is the model of your receiver? To get a good answer, you need to provide as much background information as possible. Also, how is the antenna mounted and wired to the antenna? You said something about it working at home? What were the conditions then? What I'm asking is did it ever work correctly for you in the RV?
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
You would need to go through the receiver setup once and only once unless you move the receiver between home and RV. If that's the case, you must go through the receiver setup before you try to have the antenna search for the satellite as it will not be able to do so with any of the home setup settings. In the RV you want to have the receiver set to 18" round and Multi-switch to allow the antenna to locate the 101 satellite.
He's got the Trav'ler that gets all three sats with the push of a button.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all for the good info. Like I said, this is all new to us and we are struggling with it.

We will go out there tomorrow and try again.

Thanks,
Bradw
Wake Up America

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:
Then we have to go through set up mode on the Direct receiver.
Not sure what this means. All you should have to do is turn it on.

As the other poster stated, location doesn't matter.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman