cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allison 2500 downshift issue

distal703
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Itasca Meridian 34B with a 2500 Allison 6-speed trans. Lately when I am in cruise control it does not downshift as needed. Especially from 6 to 5. When in 5th it downshifts when needed part of the time. Some times when I first start out in the morning it shifts fine, but when I stop for a break it stops downshifting properly. It works fine in non-cruise control mode. I'm thinking it's a sensor, but which one and is it a DIY item?
3 REPLIES 3

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Does the 2500 have a mode button? On the 3000, if that is pressed it delays the downshift (kind of like Eco mode) to prevent constant downshifting on gentle hills. The display should say Mode On or something like that. It's possible that the ECM has been programmed to turn that on with the cruise control.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Not familiar with the 2500.

But, on all their larger transmissions you can check for DIAGNOSTIC CODES from this shift pad.

See if this feature is available for your 2500.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Basically nothing on an Allison is DIY except fluid and filter changes and even that requires specific fluid and filters. Take it to an Allison repair facility and let them diagnose the exact issue and repair it accordingly. Allison.s are very touchy about fluid change intervals too. Are you doing that?
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB