cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trans Labrador Highway

mish1100
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on driving the Trans Labrador highway with our Class C motorhome this coming summer. Our route will start in Ontario, go past Quebec City and then head north towards Labrador where we will take the Translabrador highway to the ferry to Newfoundland. We will travel through Newfoundland and take the ferry back to Nova Scotia to start making our way back to Ontario.

Has anyone on here drove the Trans Labrador highway before? How was it?
7 REPLIES 7

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
I have not driven it personally, but when we were in NFLD this summer, we took the ferry over to Labrador to spend a few days and check out the whaling village at Red Bay. When we exited the ferry, this lady comes running up to us saying, "don't do it, don't do it". We asked her what the hell she was talking about. I guess she thought we were going to take my friends 40 ft DP around the 1200 km loop back to Quebec. We talked to several others who had came around the loop. They all said the same thing. Don't do it. Like I say, I have not "did it". Just passing on what we were told. We did drive up as far as Red Bay, and there wasn't much to see there. We were told the rest of it was the same. We did see lots of blackflies.

mish1100
Explorer
Explorer
sorry if i posted in the wrong forum. New to this RV chat thing. Was looking at info on the route so was hoping to get some feedback from here. I'll try again in the Canada section. Thanks

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are 1 or 2 Lab/NL threads per year on the Canada section. Next to none on 'routes'.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Is it about roads and routes? Then it belongs right here.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Moderator: This post should be moved to the โ€œCanadaโ€ section.

It is not possible to reach a Moderator with such a request via the โ€œNotify Moderatorโ€ link inside each post anymore. Your IT dept. needs to look into this as this has been a problem for quite some time.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
We just drove the Trans Lab this summer ( 2019). We were in the truck and truck camper. The part in Labrador was fine. By the end of this construction year I think there will be less than 200 km of gravel left. All the rest will have been paved.
We were in Quebec when we heard that the Trans Lab had a wash out south of Happy Valley Goose Bay. We started to rethink our options,but our youngest son called to wish his mother a Happy Birthday, and we told him of the problem. He was in Peru on a holiday, but he contacted a friend who works for NL government to find out how long the repair would be.Answer was less than a week, which he relayed back to us. PQ to Peru to St. Johns to Peru To PQ in less than 10 minutes... gotta love technology.
By the time we got to the wash out, about a week later, the road was re-opened, and just needed pavement to be totally repaired.
The Quebec section of the road is not quite as good. From Baie Comeau to Manic 5 is paved, but just past Manic 5 it is gravel and rough in spots. It continues as gravel right to within 50 km of the Quebec / Labrador border.
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
An adventure! Enjoy!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad