cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dissecting a Lippert Ground Control 3.0 landing leg

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
I have the electric Lippert GC 3.0 front landing leg that failed on me in Arizona this spring. I have boxed up the motor for a spare as I believe it is OK. I will test it later.

I'd like to do an autopsy on the leg to see what failed and also to see if there's any salvageable parts inside. The only possible disassembly point I see is on the top. There's a cotter key retaining a pin that can be driven out on the motor coupling socket. After that I haven't a clue. I've looked for an exploded drawing of the leg to visualize what's inside but no luck with that.

Has any of the esteemed members here taken one apart?
7 REPLIES 7

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
I e got a schematic for the leg, but I won't be able to get to it for a couple of weeks. Just be aware, Lippert does not sell parts for the Ground Control 3.0 legs. I bent my drop legs and had to have the Venture style drop legs machined to get them to fit.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Hoppy220 wrote:
There is no way to get to it to lube it without complete disassembly. I run landing gear all the way out and spray gear lube through an opening in the outer housing hoping to get enough on the rod to help it out. It's just a bad design on liperts part.

Unfortunately, it's not only LCI that has this issue. Most landing legs don't seem to have any way to lube them. Personally, if I were to do so, I'd use a "dry" lube, one that won't attract, or keep, dirt.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Hoppy220
Explorer
Explorer
There is no way to get to it to lube it without complete disassembly. I run landing gear all the way out and spray gear lube through an opening in the outer housing hoping to get enough on the rod to help it out. It's just a bad design on liperts part.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Hoppy220 wrote:
There is a nut in the top of the leg that usually strips out due to lack of lubrication.

Is this something I'm supposed to be lubricating? If so, how?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
This might help GC 3.0 manual:

https://support.lci1.com/ground-control-3.0-support-ground-control-3.0-onecontrol-touch-panel
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

harley_hitchike
Explorer
Explorer
there are some pictures posted on jayco owners forum under 5th wheels and heading 3.0 ready to fail . saw it today

Hoppy220
Explorer
Explorer
There is a nut in the top of the leg that usually strips out due to lack of lubrication. Once you remove the cotter pin you can remove the inner sleeve and unthread the acme screw from said nut. They are really simple to disassemble once you remove them from the unit. They should have installed a grease fitting on these because the grease gets wiped off the threaded rod with use and then its left to run dry.