cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter Storage

gmatti
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2017 Winnebago Forza 36G with a Magnum Energy MS2000 3 Stage Inverter. We store this coach in an attached garage without heat. We would like to keep it plugged in this winter and plan to turn off both the chassis and coach battery switches. Should we also turn off the inverter? Thank you.
9 REPLIES 9

Argosy24
Explorer
Explorer
Magnum is a really good inverter/charger, and this from Crown battery says keep them charged to prevent sulfation. I can see a cheap charger causing a problem, but most battery manufacturers recommend trickle chargers on batteries during long periods of storage.

https://www.crownbattery.com/news/sulfation-and-battery-maintenance

GBeach
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
Excellant advise do not turn the battery switches off if it is plugged in

RR, I also have a 36M. You might be interested to know that my Winnebago manual says not to leave it plugged in all the time in storage. They mention battery sulfation as the issue. They recommend storing unplugged with both battery disconnect switches activated, then plugging in and charging once a month.
Greg
2013 Winnebago 36M
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
2015 Honda PCX 150 Scooter

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
With power electrical available cycle the inverter side of the Magnum MS2000 OFF and leave the battery switches ON. With the coach asleep for the winter you won't need the inverter in a ready/standby state to come online if case of a power failure.

Keeping the battery switches ON will allow the converter/charger side of the Magnum to keep the batteries fully charged. Check the battery water level from time to time the same as you would during the summer.

If you did not have AC power available then the battery switches should be switched to OFF.

Excellant advise do not turn the battery switches off if it is plugged in
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
With power electrical available cycle the inverter side of the Magnum MS2000 OFF and leave the battery switches ON. With the coach asleep for the winter you won't need the inverter in a ready/standby state to come online if case of a power failure.

Keeping the battery switches ON will allow the converter/charger side of the Magnum to keep the batteries fully charged. Check the battery water level from time to time the same as you would during the summer.

If you did not have AC power available then the battery switches should be switched to OFF.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
2) You should have a separate switch that turns just the invertor off. It is most likely on the invertor display panel. There is no need for it to be on because you are on shore power.

3) I believe (could be wrong) but they are referring to things like the ant. power boost, frig, water heater, TV, etc. things that draw power. There will always be some 12v draw and 110 draw but you have taken down most it.

Remember to check your battery water levels monthly
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

gmatti
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replys. I guess I should have stated what my Operators Manual has to say about "Storage".

When placing the RV into storage, it is recommended that you perform the following:
1. Connect AC power
2. Verify the inverter is switched OFF
3. Switch OFF all unnecessary AC & DC
loads.

Not knowing much of anything about electric I am looking for advise as it pertains to what the book is telling me.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Fully charged batteries wonโ€™t freeze. Is that your question?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Our rig is plugged in 24/7 365. Both chassis and house batterie switches on, main cutoff switch on to power the "converter" to charge the batteries. Inverter doesn't need to be on.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a separate converter/battery charger.