Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless migration to RVs creating problems
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Homeless migration to RVs creating problems

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

SS was never intended to provide a living pension. Just a supplement to personal resources.

Going to get much worse before it improves.

Well, if that is the case, then why did the prior administration use the abrogation of the bankruptcy laws to take away 28 years of crimping, saving with no big toys and no real vacations? In short, they destroyed those personal resources and I was not alone. But as a guy that got a lot of education and worked up to a nice position, I guess I was "RICH" and due to be fleeced.

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

time2roll wrote:

SS was never intended to provide a living pension. Just a supplement to personal resources.

Free food and free living makes for lazy folks with idle time for doing things they should not be doing. Be good if they required regular community service in order to earn the right for those benefits.
Not sure how big the SS benefit is for those that never worked.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Well, if that is the case, then why did the prior administration use the abrogation of the bankruptcy laws to take away 28 years of crimping, saving with no big toys and no real vacations? In short, they destroyed those personal resources and I was not alone. But as a guy that got a lot of education and worked up to a nice position, I guess I was "RICH" and due to be fleeced.
Did you lose your pension due to your company you worked for 28 years went BK? Sorry to hear that. Been happening to a lot of people and more to come.

All the more reason to embrace the 401k, IRA etc plans that you can control and cannot be taken (yet).

Did you not pay into SS?

ryoung

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Watch the uTube video Seattle is Dying for a larger perspective of the problem which includes RVs.

Thanks for posting this link to the YouTube video.

I viewed it and was enlightened about the causes and a solution to the growing problem.

ryoung

2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In order to have a chance of solving the problem we need to borrow a trillion dollars, except we can NOT put the usual agencies in charge. We know THAT doesn't work. I have the brains to handle it, except I'm too old. Besides, I don't trust anyone. And, I believe someone said I was deplorable. So, who shall we trust, with our debt?

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Prices have always increased on homes in the long run. Supply and demand. A lot of homes in small towns with lack of jobs can be bought dirt cheap. For a retired person who does not depend on employment this can be a good deal. There are several list of states and towns that are the best places to retire along with the most expensive places to retire. Illegal immigrants compound the housing issue but certain people choose not to address the issue. Until these people are voted out I don't see things changing.

I don't know where you live, but we have been buying this house from the bank for 28 years. We bought when the market was pretty stable, but then came the depression that the prior administration built a fire under. (Anybody that has looked at the county's history would know that the same things that were done by FDR that extended that depression for an additional three (maybe more) years is what was done again.)
Today, I could sell out home and not get back what we paid for it in cash value (not even thinking about the interest over near 30 years). Everybody wants a piece of the rich old people that only worked hard for years to live so "easily" now.
If you perchance think I may be a little bitter, that just means that you are observant.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Prices have always increased on homes in the long run. Supply and demand. A lot of homes in small towns with lack of jobs can be bought dirt cheap. For a retired person who does not depend on employment this can be a good deal. There are several list of states and towns that are the best places to retire along with the most expensive places to retire. Illegal immigrants compound the housing issue but certain people choose not to address the issue. Until these people are voted out I don't see things changing.

Yes, a retired person can sell their house, buy one dirt cheap in a small town in say Kansas. But what is the cost, that can not be expressed in dollars, to move away from the friends, church, entertainment? Then there is the fact older people need accesses to medical care, and small town hospitals are closing. As we age, driving becomes a issue. If it is a 10 mile round trip to get groceries, even if you need to change buses a couple of times. But what if the trip is 100 miles, and there are no buses?
I agree the politicians will not solve the immigration, but if the ones in power wanted to it would take no change in laws, just a change in how/which laws are enforced. It could be done before the next election.
When my Dad passed away I bought a small house in my town for her. By this time most of her friends had passed away. Our town has quality medical care. They also have a senior bus that is subsidized to take seniors to and from appointments at very little cost. They also have a senior center where they can enjoy a quality meal Monday thru Friday. The senior center also provides camaraderie of people in the same age bracket to visit with. The senior center utilize the same bus to pick up people for lunch and back home. They also have trips to Walmart and Kroger along with field trips to surrounding small towns. Even without a car Mom had quality of life until she passed. Forgot she attended a church less then a block away from her house and they picked her up and dropped her off.

Forgot to add one of Mom's favorite things to do was sit out on the front deck and have coffee with friends she met in the new neighborhood (Same age group). The house originally had a tiny porch. Some friends drove up from DFW metroplex and we built a deck on the front of the house.

* This post was edited 11/18/19 10:08am by colliehauler *

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The public should not judge someones RV by the age. I does not matter if it was the first one invented it does not matter as long as it has been maintained. As for homeless persons: some prefer to be homeless and others are homeless due to loss of job, home or other economic reasons. It is not us to judge. Those that live in an RV FULL TIME are actually "homeless". We have incomes or can work and that is what we choose and are not a burden on society. Those that are homeless that don't want or can't work are those that society must address. How I don't know. But there are shelters. Although, some don't want to take advantage of shelters either. What I am saying is those of us who choose to RV in any manner should be smart enough not to park on a street. Enough said.

The Moderator will not cut this thread as long as it is kept friendly and sensible without attacking members. Opinions and discussions is what is beneficial to all.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you lose your pension due to your company you worked for 28 years went BK? Sorry to hear that. Been happening to a lot of people and more to come.

All the more reason to embrace the 401k, IRA etc plans that you can control and cannot be taken (yet).

Did you not pay into SS?
Yes, I paid dearly into SS. The current value of that account the day I retired (using confirmed models) was 1.3E6$us. Because I had no choice but to start collection sooner than planned, I only have to live to be about 118 to break even.

A large portion of those savings were put into a private plan that was largely auto-company corporate bonds. Corporate bonds used to be no more than an inflation hedge. Even in bankruptcies, those bonds were treated as real property - like I owned a building or a huge stamping press or something - and in the event of bankruptcy, there would be value after liquidation. Well, they couldn't just wipe them out like common stock, they decided that they could "buy" them from us at about 5¢/$. But, the filing fee to get that 5¢ was 3¢ and I would still have to pay the plan administrator to collect that. That was how they rewarded the union for their support.

I did collect some small pensions, but the laws about that were different than they are now for most of my working time. Vesting took decades and companies kept track and if you got too close to vesting, you would get "RIF"fed. (That means canned through no fault of your own and that is supposed to make you feel batter.) Then, you are a 60+ white technical guy that nobody dare hire because you don't help their "Diversity" at all. You just happen to have years of experience that they can use. So, they bring you on as a "consultant" and you may get a lot per hour, but hours are irregular and you have to pay all the taxes that an employer would pay (look that one up).

Not all my investment were lost, but I was counting on some land that we purchased (see above) and some other things.

We will still be traveling as long as I am capable of keeping the coach in good order. So, things are not as grim for us as may be for others that I know. I do my best to not sound bitter in my outside contacts.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes my original comment was on SS. So be glad that is holding up so far. In 15 years SS could also get a 20% haircut.

Yes working in the auto industry and investing in auto industry bonds probably seemed like a slam dunk at the time. Ended up with too many eggs in one basket. Borderline fraud if you were lead into that position. Today is just water under the bridge. Far too common actually, you are not alone.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Homeless migration to RVs creating problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.