Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: TV engine oil
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> TV engine oil

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the fine work I use a clock oiler.

[image]

Mine also has a 12" extension if needed.

Dad used to tip them up and get every drop but that was 30 weight.
Today's 5w20 and thinner I give it a 10 count and I am done.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 11:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Time, have those too, but they get bent in my backpack-toolbox when out taking care of apartments or buddies where don't need hard sided toolbox for sockets/etc

Those clock oilers can't reach 'up' to oil unless it is full. As my squeeze bottle level goes down, just push the tube in until it reaches oil

Of course can refill and have had to do so when the squeeze bottle goes too low

Here is how I mix powdered Molybdenum Disufide powder (<1.5 micron particle size so it will not be filtered out). Same thing for shop & tool box/bag oilers

Only add moly every once in a while, as it naturally plates. So if it goes dry, not metal on metal, but on coatings of moly. Maybe every 3rd oil change or when remember to do so...after checking the log

Goodwill blender, $5 bucks
[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

[image]

[image]

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 01:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

I just leave each one upside down in the oil filler for a minute. Not much left after that. But it does show how much is wasted if you just dump he oil in and toss the bottle.

That's what I used to do but traveling full time, it's just easier to go to an oil change place.

Of course, with modern trucks, you only change the oil around once a year, so saving a 1/8th of a quart isn't saving the world or a dollar.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

ib516

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do the same, for the environment and to get all the oil I paid for.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, you guys made me think of my dear old dad again!
Love ya dad!
Guess I live in a different time and place, but for all the oil changes I do at home.
Bet I go through idk, 20 gal of fluids a year based on own many times I recycle 5-7 gal.
So that would save me like $4 in oil for the year?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just let each container drain for at least 2 minutes while I do another part of the vehicles maintenance. Example: first bottle dripping in while I check tire pressure, second bottle dripping in while I top off washer fluid and check brake and power steering fluid, third bottle dripping in while I note today’s service in my log book, fourth bottle dripping in while I wipe down tools and put away.

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a plastic device I bought years ago that held 5 plastic containers and drained into another container. Unfortunately, it only worked with narrow mouth "bottles". So, I'm limited to one wide mouth at a time now.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I commend theGreat Depression era conservation methods brought back to life in this thread, I honestly have to ask, how many $ a year do y’all think this saves you?
The point of diminished returns kicks in here.

I’m sure we all do silly things like i swish some water around a spaghettios can to get all the sauce and noodle Os out, but not cause I’m trying to save a buck or the planet, I like the sauce!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/19 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never heard of making this moly soup. I think I will stick with following the manufacturer's recommendation.

Do you use moly on all engines new and old, big and small?

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Philosophy of savings differ and not pushing anyone to change...just my opinions

As for Molybdenum Disulfide 'soup', been doing that since in college working part-time as a draftsman/designer, circa late 1960's. Many have PM'ed asking what the heck after I've mentioned it over the years here and other forums. Finally remembered to take pictures

Noticed that all the government (military, NASA, DARPA, etc) specifications required Molybdenum Disulfide in anything requiring lube

Only one authorized supplier and needed a government contract number AND special number in order for the supplier to accept our PO's. At one time, that supplier was on the secret sauce list

Talked to our in house ME/Physicist and my Materials Prof. They knew of it, but not enough for me, so called the producer down in S Calif

After reading up and those discussions, wanted to try. So asked our purchasing guy to order an extra gallon for me.

Had a MGB which worked and built the 4 cyclinder ICE (reground cam, higher rate springs, milled the head, ported and matched to both intake and OEM exhaust manifold, dual twin barrel-side draft Webbers, etc). Most all British sports cars used truck and tractor engines back then

Tested Moly on it and only changed the oil & filter. Nothing else. Within 10 minutes, the dash temp gauge dropped about 7*F and dropped some more as more moly was plated

Buddy in Canada sent several bottles of Tungsten Disulfide powder (<2 micron) and have tested that. No difference

Serious shooters either heard of or know Molybdenum Disulfide for both barrels and bullets. Same situation as an ICE...except in firearms it is a dry application

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> TV engine oil
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.