cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Still confused about inverter n gen

Rockinfigs
Explorer
Explorer
So I have a 2020 attitude 3218mm..i have a xantrax 1800 pro inverter, 2 solar panels n solar charger. When I bought my rig I took it in to eclipse for some warranty work.. They advised me to turn inverter off before i turn on gen(Onan 5500) n vice versa.. Turn gen off before turning on inverter. Now when this is done it interrupts my outlets which interrupts my TVs while watching. But I've been told I should have a automatic transfer switch built into the inverter n I should be able to leave inverter on while running the gen.

Can anyone with newer attitudes confirm this pls thks
2019 Ford f350 cclb 6.7 diesel black sports package
2020 eclipse attitude 3218mm
2014 rzr 4 800
18 REPLIES 18

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
When a RVer connects a non switching inverter to the battery then they have a uninterruptible source - AC charges the house battery and the house battery powers the inverter which is now independent of the battery charging source.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
A UPS doesn't switch. Its battery is being charged or not but the output is always driving the loads.
There are different types of UPS. Only the ones that convert AC to DC and then DC to AC don't interrupt the power - ie used in more critical applications so think more $.

The specs on the 900W Cyber Power unit for example indicate a 4 ms transfer time which is rather short and hence the switching may not effect most connected electronics. One AC 60 HZ cycle is 16 ms.

What is the definition on uninterruptible?

Bob

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
yes, a UPS is the only way to truly have uninterrupted power.
I guess an inverter that's always on would qualify.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
yes, an UPS is the only way to truly have uninterrupted power. I have a 2,000 inverter and 50 amp auto transfer switch from Bestconverter (Boondocker). Don't remember which way but going from/to generator there's a delay, the other way not but either will drop power long enough to my satellite receiver that it must reboot.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

dedmiston
joebedford wrote:
A UPS doesn't switch. Its battery is being charged or not but the output is always driving the loads.

Yep, or else the "U" wouldn't stand for "uninterruptible".

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Rockinfigs wrote:
When it converted over to gen the TV shut off.
How long of a shutoff are we talking about?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Thatโ€™s odd- maybe newer televisions are more sensitive, but why can a $80 ups switch fast enough for all electronics to stay powered up, but a thousand dollar inverter will not?
Regardless, Iโ€™d have the electronics on a ups, set to not beep on power interruption ( we have 5 with all of our electronics on them at home).
-- Chris Bryant

Rockinfigs
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
Rockinfigs wrote:
ependydad wrote:
Either my transfer switches aren't fast enough or my TVs are too sensitive and the all restart when switching power sources.

Not much of a problem until my kid was in the middle of a gaming session. :B

Exactly so yours does the same..what brand inverter do u have?

The transfer switches are the Xantrex 15amp Auto Transfer Relays:
http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/default/inline-transfer-relay.aspx

I'm not bothered by it, honestly.

Yeah by the end of the day I guess I could prob deal with it.. But I've just been told different information from different people so was just wondering.
2014 rzr 4 800

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Rockinfigs wrote:
ependydad wrote:
Either my transfer switches aren't fast enough or my TVs are too sensitive and the all restart when switching power sources.

The transfer switches are the Xantrex 15amp Auto Transfer Relays:
http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/default/inline-transfer-relay.aspx

I'm not bothered by it, honestly.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is common as the power switching involves relays and they MUST break the connection before making a new connection. This takes 16mS or more plus creates electrical transients so appliances may shut down.

A dedicated inverter that never switches the AC output is a solution. This will limit the battery charging amps by the amount of the inverter draw.

Bob

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rockinfigs wrote:
So I did a Lil test I had the inverter on n turned tv on.. Then I turned on the gen n waited for the gen to convert over.. When it converted over to gen the TV shut off..then I did the opposite.. Had the gen on n inverter turned off.. Had tv on.. Then I turned inverter on n shut down the gen.. Same results
This is an issue of the transfer switch having power off for a few milliseconds before connecting to the other source of power.

Not sure what all is connected to what but you could reconfigure things so that you run the tv-satellite-dvd etc full time on inverter power regardless of the generator or utility power status. Basically you need to change the priority so the inverter power always goes direct and is not switched when other sources are presented.

Rockinfigs
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:

2014 rzr 4 800

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page