cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about moving fifth wheel

importman
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone, I have a rather unusual question. My 06 Montana 336rlt has been parked on a permanent site for about six months. But now due to repeated problems with leaks around some of the slides Iโ€™ve decided to put one of those metal carport style sheds over it. My problem is I need to move it about 3 feet in the curbside direction. Thereโ€™s not enough room on the backside for the frame of the shed because of the location of the service pole and the pole canโ€™t be moved due to a hill right behind it. Two things that are problems in moving it are that I donโ€™t have a truck with a fifth wheel hitch and I donโ€™t want to pull the slides in if I can help it. (I have new carpet with thicker padding that the slides snag on). So what Iโ€™m considering and I need opinions on is this. If I take it off the blocks and pump the tires up tight, how hard would it be to slide it about 3 feet. I would pull one end at a time using a winch or a come-along and some luckily well placed trees. I should add that the surface itโ€™s on is dirt and some gravel and itโ€™s hard enough that the tires havenโ€™t sunk in. So what do you guys think? Will this work and if so how difficult will it be. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
20 REPLIES 20

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for letting us know that you got it moved, with no known issues! It is always nice to hear back from OP. I am a bit over cautious, concerning slides, moving RV, lifting/lowering, with them extended.

Jerry

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No way I would do that.
OTOH there is really no need to move it. I have seen them built over existing structures and even had one built on my own lot. While I did move my trailer out during the construction of my roof, it would not have been in the way if I had left it.
If the company doing the work is OK with it, just leave it in place.

EDIT, sorry - didn't see your update. Glad it worked out.

importman
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd give a final update on this. The man came and moved it for me with no damage or major issues. One small problem we had though was that the streetside rear slide didn't want to pass by the service pole. Originally I told you all that I didn't want to pull in the slides because of the carpet but before the man came to move it I had sealed around the leaking slide with a high grade duck tape to try to stop the leaking until my carport/shed arrives, so I really, really didn't want to pull them in. I also didn't know if there was a way to bring in just the one slide that was in the way. Anyway,after about 20 attempts pulling forward and backing up, (there was very little room to back up), we were getting closer but it was obvious that we either would never clear it or it would take all day. So we actually hooked a chain to the top of the service pole and I pulled it back about 6-8 inches with my truck and we were able to just barely get by it. After that the rest was easy. I got it setup again on blocks and it's all straight now. I actually took more time on my setup this time and made absolutely sure it was level in every direction and double blocked it so it's nice and stable. I really just wanted to thank everyone who replied. I can't tell you how much it means to have people so willing to offer advice when you really need it.

ghooos
Explorer
Explorer
JMO, but that is not something I would do, especially with the slides extended. You can always find someone with a FW hitch to move it, even if you have to pay someone.

importman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the advice. Iโ€™ve spoken to a man whoโ€™s going to move it for me the conventional way. Better safe than sorry.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds to me that OP just needs to get someone to hitch up and move it. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
opnspaces wrote:
4X4ord is suggesting leaving the slides out because of the thick carpet. If it was my trailer and the ground was really level I would try it. As long as you ease the trailer gently into motion I would think it will work without damage. Maybe a 4x4 in low range and let it idle back then put it in neutral and let it coast to a stop.

Thx - I miss-read.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
4X4ord is suggesting leaving the slides out because of the thick carpet. If it was my trailer and the ground was really level I would try it. As long as you ease the trailer gently into motion I would think it will work without damage. Maybe a 4x4 in low range and let it idle back then put it in neutral and let it coast to a stop.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
4x4ord wrote:
If you get someone with a truck to move it for you is there a reason the slides would need to be pulled in? Why not leave them out?

The OP explained in his first post that the new carpet is too thick.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
KSBOWMAN has your cheapest and a very good way to do it, with the right tools it,ll move with ease.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you get someone with a truck to move it for you is there a reason the slides would need to be pulled in? Why not leave them out?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any company that sells double wide mobile homes will have a set of beams and dollies that are made to move the halves sideways into places they can't back the halves into. They are competent and insured incase there is a problem. May cost a few bucks but, in the end you are insured and it is people who do it everyday. It will only take a few hours for two men.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
The tires can be set on something slippery and soap or whatever used to reduce friction to winch it sideways. See โ€œfreezing rainโ€ videos for tires with no traction ๐Ÿ™‚

Supporting the front will need some figuring out.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Ed9824v wrote:
I guess if you put some skates under the wheels you can move. Those cheap ones from Harbor Freight. Need help with blocking so doesnโ€™t get away.

My thought as well, put a sheet of plywood under each sides wheels with a pair of auto dollies under the tires. You may have to add a pair in the front if you cant find someone with a hitch to support the pin and its weight.
dollies