Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TR: The Road to winning a National Championship

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
The Long Journey to the Championships

This is a voyage that started in 2005 when Ruth first started training in dressage Thousands of hours of traing two different horses and sacrifice on both her part and mine traveling up and down California for competitions, and many regional championships finally culminated in a trip to the National Dressage Finals at the Horse Park in Kentucky.

Many things had to come together, First Ruth and her horse Wyleigh had to score high enough in the local competitions to qualify to compete at the Regional Championship. At Regionals they had to be in the top 3 placings to get an invite to compete at the National Finals for a Championship.

Ruth Competes riding the at the internatinal test level (high end). She competed at Prix St Georges, Intermediate one, and Intermediate one Freestyle. She qualified to ride at the Finals with 0ne first place and two second place finishes at regionals so she was able to enter at all 3 levels.

Now came the hard part. We had less than 4 weeks to get the truck, trailer, horse and ourselves ready to go on a 5000 mile round trip. I took time off work, so did Ruth. I had the truck and trailer completely serviced. In addition there is a problem with the Bosch CP4 fuel pump and lack of lubricity in US Diesel. It tends to Grenade at over 120,000 miles, we were at 113,000. I had it replaced as well as all engine and drivetrain fluids and filters. 6 new tires on the truck. Ruth met with her trainers for some final tune ups and we hooked up with some friends that were also going to make the drive with horses from Northern Californa

The trip was going to involve 3 stop overs. Salt Lake City area, Ogalalla Nebraska, and St Peters MO. Then 3 days in Lexington at a facility near the Kentucky Horse Park (they had another show going on) to let the horses recover from the drive. 7 days at the horse park competing then another 4 days drive home. This was all going on in the first two weeks of November. We would be driving 11 hours and close to 600 miles each day

Finally after weeks of stress departure day loomed. We decided to head over the 90 miles to Kevin and Erikas barn by Sacramento the night before so that we could all leave together. Kevin and one of the trainers Chelsea would tag team driving their rig with 4 horses (all Clients horses) and Ruth and I would drive ours with our one horse. Erika would fly out 4 days later. One of the things that made this trip so much easier is that Kevin had done it before and had all the logistics and contacts for the layover barns already lined up. I owe him a debt of gratitude

We loaded up at our home barn in Dublin CA and headed out

We fueled up in Ranch Murietta near Sacrament and Picked up a couple of Calzones for dinner then headed over to unload the horse for the night

We were up at 4:45 the next morning to feed and walk the dogs, load the horses then the two rigs pulled out at 6 am sharp for a dawn drive up and over the Sierra Nevadas on 80 then across Nevada into Utah and stopping just south of Salt Lake City 11 hours later

coming into Utah I misjudged the fuel stop and almost ran the tank dry

It was dark and 15* when we pulled into our first Layover barn. An absolutely beautiful place 15 miles south of Salt Lake City. Our hosts served us a wonderful meal. They also had a 30 amp RV plug for us to use on the side of the barn

Day 2 started out very cold, I was glad that we had relectix covering all the windows and doors in the camper, and yes we do like to sleep with the camper cool and nice down comforters on the bed.

dressed to go load the horse and coil up the power cord to the camper

The further east we went the whiter it got. The area around Laramie WY was the worst cold with wind gust of up to 60 mph blowing spindrift across I80

after Cheyene the winds quit and we took a lunch break

Pulling into our second overnight barn in Ogalalla Neb. Google sent me down a gravel “short cut”

We were beat. It was unload the horses, feed and water them, clean out the trailer, feed the dogs and ourselves and pass out.

Day 3 was another long but uneventful haul across the midwest. 685 miles Butt Numbing. Ruth was working remotely on her laptop the whole trip so I was the long distance wheel jockey the entire trip

St Peters, The stop over is a clean but isolated barn with no one around. It had water and power but it was fenced in so we since we had the place to ourselves we let the dogs play

we have a camera in the trailer that lets us keep and eye on Wyleigh . Start of the last leg into Kentucky only a 400 mile drive

Spy Coast Farms Kentucky, next door to the Kentucky Horse Park our 3 day layup before moving over to the show grounds. Nice main Barn, we didn't get to stay there. We were in one of the back quarantine barns

we stayed here

The road crew, still smiling after 2400 miles in 4 days Left To Right Me, Kevin, Chelsea, Ruth

Our Campsite for 10 days at the Kentucky Horse Park. One of the few times I have ever taken the camper of the truck on a trip

On the day before the competition started we went over to Buffalo Trace Distillery did the tour, tasting and picked uo a couple of Bottles of Blantons single barrel Bourbon...WIN

All right Let the Games begin. We moved into Barn 23 at the Horse Park, one of the few heated barns on the grounds. A good Omen. It never got above the 40s as a matter of fact on the first day of Competiton Ruth rode outside in a non covered arena. Pouring rain and 36* Day two was 24 and clear with frozen arena surfaces. Such fun

Ruth was hoping to get top 5s in each of her Classes. On Friday she took Third at FEI Intermediate 1

Saturday was the Freestyle in the indoor Arena. Its her best event Intermediate 1 movements choreographed to music. Ruth and Wyleigh were on fire. I was watching and just losing it After all these years I can tell when I am seeing a special ride and when she and her horse are totally in sync. There were over 1000 spectators and manyTV Cams as they were live broadcasting the rides around the world. The audience went nuts when she finished. I was clapping and yelling. I was with her when they posted the score of 73.9% which put her in first with 5 riders to go. You could cut the air in the barn around our group as score after score got posted and Ruth was still in first. Fianally the last score came up and we all started yelling and High Fiving. Ruth had won the USDF Intermediate 1 Freestyle Championship!

A pit crew worthy resaddling, and leg wrap of the horse, getting ruth back into her gear for the honor round and awards. Then it was off to the media center for interviews. So Incredible.

Ruths Interview. https://www.usdf.org/usdressagefinals/media/pr/release.asp?news=938

her ride as it was streamed with commentary second row down far right Ruth Shirkey

https://www.usef.org/network/coverage/2019usdressage/?cl=t

The last day of Competition was Prix St Georges. Ruth has a slight bobble and it cost her a second championsship Reserve Champion in the US is not bad though.

Impressive showing at the National Finals Championships

After and exhausting week it was time to pack up to go home. We loaded everything but the horse into the trailer on Sunday night, I had put the camper back in the bed on Saturday. The weather looked bad for Monday so we needed to be on the road by 6 am.

Everything was fine until we hit Lousiville and it started to rain which turned to sleet near St Louis then the temps really dropped and we had snow on top of ice. I shifted into 4x4. It was starting to got to hell on the roads as we made the exit to the layover barn. The surface streets were nastys and the slight slope down to the barn was slick but we made it OK. As we were unloading the horses in the snow all you could hear were crashes and then fire engines going 20 with red lights and sirens on the nearby freeway. We got the horses inside. Filled all the water buckets before the waterlines froze and put the heavy blankets onto the horses. Neither Kevin or Chelsea had ice spikes for their shoues and I knew that the hotel parking lot where they were going would be solid ice so I gave them our spare pair. The next morning Kevin said that they would have been on their butts if they has not had them.

The next morning it took us one hour to go 20 miles. It was so cold ( Zero) that I kept the Camper furnace turned on to keep water lines from freezing and we had the horse trailer vents almost completely close and the horse blanketed to keep her warm. Coming out of the barn I hit a bump and the windshield cracked all the way across, good thing it was below my eye level.

The roads were icy there were over 50 wrecked cars on the shoulder and in the center median and thousands of semis parked on the shoulders, rest areas and weigh stations. Gradually as we drove west the roads cleared and all was well until Nebraska where once on 80 we got hit by a wind storm. My refridgerator vent cover got torn off by a gust. I made a patch out of Duct Tape

Dawn of Day 3 was beautiful, the drive to Salt Lake City was a grind.

Our SLC hosts out did themselves. The had a celbration for Ruth and a fantastic dinner for all of us

The drive back to the bay area was a long one over 700 miles but the views near the Bonnieville Salt Flats were awesome, From Reno west it was traffic hell due to lane closures and too **** many cars I was so glad to pull into the home barn. Drop the hores and trailer and go home for a long hot shower

The next day I brought the trailer home and we power washed the road grime off from under and over the truck and trailer then I took the camper off and scrubbed it down. All told 600 gallons of Diesel 5600 miles

But best of all is helping my wife achieve that incredible goal of becoming a National Champion. Both of us are still in a bit of shock.

One other item of note. The California contingent was 12 horses strong and we came back with 4 championships and many second and third place finishes from both the Professional and Amateur ranks.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags
26 REPLIES 26

twichers
Explorer
Explorer
Great read.

My wife is a purely recreational dressage rider so that added a bit more interest.

Congratulations and good luck on the next event!

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Couple of things that made the trip way easier. Full service on everything. the suspension upgrades: Torklift Upper and Lower Stableloads and Loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags by Airlift. Iwas able to hadle the crosswinds and trailer load with ease. Can't say enough about the superhitch, 48" super truss and weight distribution hitch for towing that large trailer. Modifications that I'm going to do or did. I got the new vent cover. I'm adding some screws to hold it in place in the winds. Entry door to the TC. It was letting cold air in around the edges. I yanked off all the foam weather stripping and replaced it with rubber seals, I also discovered two gaps in the rubber weather stripping on the bottom of the door, replaced that weather strip too. On the truck the shop did a great job installing the new windshield the day after we got back. And lastly Kudos to the Valvolene oil change guys in Frankfort Ky due to the severity of the towing conditions the computer indicated that I needed to do a change in KY rather than when I got back. They got me in and out in 20 minutes. I sat in the truck and watched them work under the truck and in the engine area via video cam. When they pulled my air filter and it was totally black I had them change that too. Campground at the Kentucky Horse Park was quiet and spotlessly clean. The showers in the bathrooms had nice hot water and they were also spotlessly clean. Great place to stay if you are going to do the Bourbon Trail..hint hint.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations to Ruth! Thanks for the great trip report! Very enjoyable!
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XL’s.

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
bka0721 wrote:
What an adventure! Hard work by everyone involved. Thank you so much for sharing this TR. congrats to Ruth and Wyleigh!

What is next?

b

snow shoe trip to either the sierras or cascades

Ruth has her next goal of riding in the Festival of Champions in Chicago next summer. Top 15 Intermediate 1 horses in the Country get the invite. She wants to be the only Amateur to make it (its usually only Professionals)

Well, I’m not that far from Cheyenne in summer months. You know where to find me. You guys are always welcome at my camp.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
bka0721 wrote:
What an adventure! Hard work by everyone involved. Thank you so much for sharing this TR. congrats to Ruth and Wyleigh!

What is next?

b

snow shoe trip to either the sierras or cascades

Ruth has her next goal of riding in the Festival of Champions in Chicago next summer. Top 15 Intermediate 1 horses in the Country get the invite. She wants to be the only Amateur to make it (its usually only Professionals)

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer

What is next?

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mote wrote:
That's awesome. Way to go Ruth. You're quite a husband helping her out with her dream.
Bet you're glad you had the dually for that trip and not the old '03 single rear wheel.

The dually has a way more comfortable interior and is so much more stable in heavy winds. It really minimized the fatigue factor. Bonus was the 6.7L diesels capability over the 6.0 engine at altitude.

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
That's awesome. Way to go Ruth. You're quite a husband helping her out with her dream.
Bet you're glad you had the dually for that trip and not the old '03 single rear wheel.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Wow! What an adventure between logistics, distance, and weather. Quite an accomplishment of determination, congratulations...
I guess for some reason you had to replace your factory fridge vent cover with a Red Green certified replacement...

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Congratulations and thanks so much for dragging me along!

Bill
1978 27' Southwind MH - Gone
1982 19' Terry Taurus TT - Gone
1990 24' Prowler TT - Gone
TC - Still in the Hunt

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
What an awesome accomplishment! Too bad the weather turned bad on the way home but at least you had the exhilaration of the wins to keep your spirits up.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

RickW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congratulations to Ruth and team for a championship performance.

And, congratulations to you for getting everyone there and home safe and sound in terrible weather.

Most of us would have given up before we started in those conditions.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Quite the adventure . Congratulations on the win and for making that trip unscathed .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Fabulous Eric! Mega kudos to Ruth and Wyleigh. They certainly earned them. Awesome cross-cntry and return trip, especially at this time of year. Some nasty traveling (as you found out). Glad you made it safely, my friend.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172