Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: senior pass
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> senior pass

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/19 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The price went up in 2017. That was the first increase since 1994. I think that it is still a good deal. As for restricting discounts on weekends, I agree with it. My wife and I donate to the parks that we stay at to bring our camping cost up to what a young family would pay. We can afford it more now than when our kids were young.
Just because you are a senior citizen does not mean that you are not taking up a camping spot. After all, the parks cost just as much to operate when full of half price customers.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a veteran. I never took anything from our government. Didn't use the GI Bill or a VA loan. I couldn't get into the VA. So now I get a discount on camping and free entrance into National Parks. How about our government stop spending billions on illegals. How about congress cut their own pay and benefits? How about cutting back on welfare? Those of us who worked our butts off,stayed out of troubleand served our country deserve a break.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Seems like most are in favor of this kind of thing as long as it doesn't affect themselves.

Just curious Scott, how do you know whom it affects, and doesn't??

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RGar974417 wrote:

I'm a veteran. I never took anything from our government. Didn't use the GI Bill or a VA loan. I couldn't get into the VA. So now I get a discount on camping and free entrance into National Parks. How about our government stop spending billions on illegals. How about congress cut their own pay and benefits? How about cutting back on welfare? Those of us who worked our butts off,stayed out of troubleand served our country deserve a break.
What do you propose to do about those illegal aliens and welfare recipients you somehow feel are taking from you? Don't you want to shoot them? Imprison them? Just deny them benefits and if they or their children go hungry or homeless so be it? But hey, you will still get your senior discount you earned because you didn't take government benefits (though driving on roads, having national parks, having that national defense that keeps this country free sure appear to be benefits to me).

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/19 05:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Western. I can answer your questions. but not here Look me up on facebook if you want to know about illegal aliens and social security... YOu may be surprised by the facts.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

jdb7566

minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/19 05:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mockturtle wrote:

I would be OK with using my pass only on weekdays in very high-use parks. In fact, I usually avoid public campgrounds on weekends anyway.

I'm retired and I play golf. I play during the week. Prior to retirement, my golf was limited to week-ends, and it drove me crazy to get behind a foursome of retired duffers holding up play who could have easily played during the week. I'm also a "senior citizen" and I get embarrassed when I'm in a group and someone demands a discount they think they "paid for".

jdb7566

minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/19 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RGar974417 wrote:

Thank You for your service. I too am a Veteran. IMO, the only Vets who "deserve a break" are the draftees, the rest of us "volunteered".

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/19 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdb7566 wrote:

Thank You for your service. I too am a Veteran. IMO, the only Vets who "deserve a break" are the draftees, the rest of us "volunteered".

Interesting logic. So people who would not have joined the service unless they were forced to are superior to those who voluntarily entered out of patriotism or a desire to serve their country?

* This post was edited 12/10/19 09:05am by an administrator/moderator *

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/19 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdb7566 wrote:

RGar974417 wrote:

You are sure touching the third rail here, and I agree. Joining the military today is a voluntary choice, no matter what the motivation. Yes, many join because of a sense of duty, honor etc., but others join for a job. Remember the old recruitment campaigns of "see the world" and "learn a Skill"? Not much appeal to honor and duty in that.
I can make a case for "duty and honor" in almost all professions. Heck, the guy who drives the trash truck fulfills a duty of keeping our cities and towns free of garbage. When I am unclogging a sewer line in the park I am honoring a solemn commitment to provide my guests with the best vacation accommodations I can. I respect the job everyone does, not just the job of those in the military.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/19 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

CFerguson wrote:

Typical of gov to sell you something then reneg once they have your cash.

As compared to a corporation that bought you life and health for decades, them just when you think you can enjoy life, "We can't afford to pay the retirement benefits you where promised.

Dude! You believed an insurance company?!?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> senior pass
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.