Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Flattest, warmest route to Las Vegas in January from NC
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Flattest, warmest route to Las Vegas in January from NC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Captain_Happy

Pahrump, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took I-40 last year at the end of December, stay overnight in Moriarty, NM. Woke up at a snow storm that had closed I-40 form Santa Rosa to Gallop. NM. I wasn't towing or driving an RV either. 15 MPH the entire way. So what I'm saying is, if you decide on I-40 that time of year, good luck.

Now as for I-10 goes, it's the southern route that most people who travel this part of country in winter take. When was the last time you drove thru Phoenix, AZ? It's a total nightmare. So here's my route to keep you out of the nightmare, take I-8 over thru Gila Bend (the Phoenix by-pass route). Go west toward Vicksbury, take hwy 72 and head north to Parker, AZ. From Parker, take hwy 62 to Vidal junction, then hwy 95 to Needles, CA, back on I-40 west for about 10 to 15 miles, and get on California 95 north all the way to Las Vegas.

Now if you want some real fun, from Buckeye, AZ take I-40 all the way over to Quartzite, Az. THis time of the year there's a really big get-to-gather. It's where all the RV nuts go in January. I've never been there because I just kind of stay away from 100,000 or more people out in the Desert.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I-40 will definitely have more hills. While being the shortest it will also be more likely to have winter weather issues in January.

Consider dropping down to I-20 and follow it to I-10 in west Texas. That route will be flatter than I-40, and shorter than an all I-10 route. Then keeping an eye on weather forecast. If winter storms are forecast for any where along I-20 then there are many places to drop on down to I-10.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to stay clear of hills and winter chances, a slighter risk is I 85 to I 20.. then figure out AZ from those out that way..

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I-10 is the flattest --- and the most boring.

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB..TX wrote:

Consider dropping down to I-20 and follow it to I-10 in west Texas. That route will be flatter than I-40, and shorter than an all I-10 route. Then keeping an eye on weather forecast. If winter storms are forecast for any where along I-20 then there are many places to drop on down to I-10.

Exactly what I was thinking.

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I-40 can be a smooth sail with some cold days or it can suddenly become a 2 day parking lot in the freezing snow.

Taking I-10 is longer but will avoid most weather concerns so long as you can stay awake along certain parts of that route.

You know your comfort level.

I do agree with Captain Happy to use I-8 at Casa Grande to avoid Phoenix as the South Mt. By-Pass in Phoenix won't be completed so you'll have to transverse the heart of metro Phoenix. You'll be dealing with all the business tourist at their conventions and golf courses flinging around in their rental cars like lost puppies plus every single snowbird who should have had their drivers license revoked years ago will be on those same roads clogging things up. I-8 gives you a couple of alternatives to the potential mess going through the metro area.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember folks - LuluL, the OP posed the question what is the flattest and WARMEST route to Las Vegas in January. There is nothing warm about taking the I-40 route.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I-10 is the flattest through Phoenix which sets at about 1000ft. The peaks surrounding Las Vegas reach elevations of over 10,000 feet, and act as barriers to the strong flow of moisture from the surrounding area. (snow & ice) I have been in Lake Tahoe (6200ft) in Oct on a bike and got stranded in Las Vegas due to snow going back, December & January are the coldest months.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

doxiemom11

Yoakum Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flattest and warmest would be an airplane. Even on I-10 you will run into cold weather when you have to go between 4 and 5,000 elevation until you drop down into the valley in AZ. I would also say use I-8 instead of going thru Phoenix. Phoenix is a mess with traffic and more traffic and yet some more.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 10:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

Remember folks - LuluL, the OP posed the question what is the flattest and WARMEST route to Las Vegas in January. There is nothing warm about taking the I-40 route.

I-10 is probably the best option...but it can still get cold. We got stuck in Deming NM for a week one year...saw a high of -5F a couple of days. The park was rationing propane sales, limiting it to only those staying in the park.

Obviously, an odd cold snap but below freezing weather in January will not be unusual.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Flattest, warmest route to Las Vegas in January from NC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.