Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auxillary Fuel Tank ?

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Chevy 2500 - 6.0

My Chevy 2500 has only a 26 gallon gas tank and the range is not too far when towing a trailer.

Curious...is there an auxiliary tank available for gasoline?

Ideas?
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
45 REPLIES 45

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
My truck now has a 36 gallon tank for diesel and at 10 miles to the gallon I need to stop before 360 miles and often more.
I would get very nervous at anything over 270 miles.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
The digressions on bio tanks are amusing. I'm sure we all wish for a more convenient solution.

Don't we all drag our own private facilities along with us?
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
hornet28 wrote:
The way I did it years ago when I had to flip a switch to change tanks was to run the auxiliary tank first. But then I put a gauge on that tank and no longer needed to do it that way

This was my practice also. When I got the truck with store-bought twin tanks I put a magnet on the dash. When the other tank was MT I put it next to switch.

Grit dog wrote:

Scooby dooby, you're cornfused again.

Just exactly what am I "cornfused" about? I know if I open the gas cap at idle, the engine will die. At highway RPM I bet it will. I know on many vehicles, a loose cap will light the check engine light. I know that with any of many transfer pumps I have used, there is air bubbles in the diesel fuel when I get to the bottom of tank. I always shut of the pump when I saw the bubbles, but if I was pumping gas when driving I would not see them. Do you think the pollution control would treat air coming thru a new line different than air coming in from a removed tank?
Or am I confused to think I do not need the extra capacity? Confused to think I can get in and out of any gas station? You might need extra fuel, be willing to risk the extra problems, but I am not. If I did want to carry extra gas, I would mount a tank on the other side, under the bed, with a crossover line low on the tanks and a air tight, large diameter, line to the stock neck. When the original got full, it would overflow to the other tank before it backed up in the neck to shut off the nozzle. Flow thru the crossover would keep levels equal.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
JR, if a person was to plumb the aux into the filler neck like I did there is not an issue, has not been for 7 years on my F250. Stick a normally closed fuel valve between the aux pump and the inlet to the filler neck. Wire the valve so that it is open when fuel is pumping.

I thought about that. But then I thought about "What happens when pump the last of the gas out of the added tank?" Bet my engine would die. Would it restart? Likely, but would it start just shutting off pump? Or would I need to go to neutral, hit the key, and back to drive? Then there is the chance of the valve leaking air. Not a good chance, but I don't like to open doors for Mr. Murphy.
My little engine, and my little camper, I get to quarter tank after over 300 miles. And I have no issue getting in and out of gas stations. Works for me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. YMMV

Scooby dooby, you're cornfused again.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
The way I did it years ago when I had to flip a switch to change tanks was to run the auxiliary tank first. But then I put a gauge on that tank and no longer needed to do it that way

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:
JR, if a person was to plumb the aux into the filler neck like I did there is not an issue, has not been for 7 years on my F250. Stick a normally closed fuel valve between the aux pump and the inlet to the filler neck. Wire the valve so that it is open when fuel is pumping.

I thought about that. But then I thought about "What happens when pump the last of the gas out of the added tank?" Bet my engine would die. Would it restart? Likely, but would it start just shutting off pump? Or would I need to go to neutral, hit the key, and back to drive? Then there is the chance of the valve leaking air. Not a good chance, but I don't like to open doors for Mr. Murphy.
My little engine, and my little camper, I get to quarter tank after over 300 miles. And I have no issue getting in and out of gas stations. Works for me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. YMMV

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the past I have had a few trucks with auxiliary tanks. (First F-750 carried 150 gallons between back of cab and winches) All had a manual valve to switch from tank to tank. But back when those trucks where built one line went from tank to pump. Vent was another line, or hole in cap, that just went to outside. My '85 Fords with 2 tanks had a electrically controlled valve, with a hole bunch of lines. My old Dodge half ton, I have thought about a tank in the bed. But don't want that many lines thru the floor, to much chance of issues. Thought about just pumping fuel into the neck of stock tank, but if I open the fuel cap the engine will die. (On a lot of gas vehicles a loose cap will turn on "check engine") Then I decided to just pump gas while I was stopped, take break not at gas station. But finally got the idea between my ears; I'm retired, no longer need to stay between the doors every minute I can. Stop when I want, and pull into a station about every 300 miles.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's one: Tank and Barrel

Here's one: Leonard Accessories

Will these work?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
This is the only manufacturer of gas transfer tanks that I have been able to find.

http://atitank.com/products/auxiliary-fuel-tanks/
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
To everyone who is recommending Titan tanks, perhaps I'm missing something. I looked at their XL replacement tanks and I could find nothing for a 2017 1/2 ton Ford, Ram, or GM. If I moved up to 2500/3500 series they showed options for diesel engines only, not gas. Either they've quit making them for gas or their web site isn't showing them...
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Gulfcoast wrote:
2006 Chevy 2500 - 6.0

My Chevy 2500 has only a 26 gallon gas tank and the range is not too far when towing a trailer.

I had the same truck in a 2002 model. She was a gas hog towing my Desert Fox 21SW.

Titan Tanks is my recommendation.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
kw/00 wrote:
Just a thought, when GM offered the long bed, it also came with a 36 gallon tank. This will be a perfect replacement for your current fuel tank. They offered the long bed trucks during that model that you have and still do. Some junk yards have those trucks and or fuel tanks, Iโ€™m sure that you could get it cheaper there. It would be factory and basic plug and play to install. Thatโ€™s what I would do.

But if the tank would fit under a short bed would GM go to the expense of making 2 tanks? Not at least offer the big as a extra cost option?

I wish they would have offered it as an option to short bed trucks. My cousin had an 01 with the long wheel base for construction. He also had the 4 door so it was a very long truck... lol anyway his came with the larger tank. I canโ€™t recall but the standard for sure was 26 gallons and long bed models came with I think a 36 gallon tank. It might have been a 32.... but I will have to ask him. Oh it that tank does fit the standard bed... so easy swap for those wanting the extra gallons..
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
We have had even a 26 gallon diesel tank on an older truck. The bottom line for us is we have to pee no matter how big the tank LOL
Well, nobody forces you to stay in the truck until you get low on gas, but it's nice to stop at someplace nicer to use the facilities instead of a stinky, noisy, crowded gas station. And it's nice that you get to pick the place to stop, not the truck.

I have never looked at peeing as a destination point! Also being a diabetic I pee often anyhow.
Also I am not going to haul around any extra weight that is not needed. My truck now has a 36 gallon tank for diesel and at 10 miles to the gallon I need to stop before 360 miles and often more.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.