cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar panels

tbax46
Explorer
Explorer
What size of solar panels are needed to keep battery charged for a few days of boondocking.
Reflection 337
Silverado 3509HD
USN & 'Nam Vet
17 REPLIES 17

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
tbax46 wrote:
I thank everyone for the info. I probably will just be using 12v for 2-3 days for the lighting and igniters. Got some Forest Service campgrounds that are nice for a couple of days.

Something like this 200 watt portable would work good for you if you don't want a permanent setup.

tbax46
Explorer
Explorer
I thank everyone for the info. I probably will just be using 12v for 2-3 days for the lighting and igniters. Got some Forest Service campgrounds that are nice for a couple of days.
Reflection 337
Silverado 3509HD
USN & 'Nam Vet

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I'm running 4 GC2s with 200 watts of solar on the roof and another 130 watts in a portable panel. I can go until the tanks fill up (about 5 days, but we're not anal about water usage). I do need to run the generator for a hair dryer ;), so I top off the batteries then.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Do an energy use survey...actual or what youโ€™d like to use. Your choice. That determines the battery amp hours needed, which determines the solar watts you need to recharge and the controller size. If you guess, you will be either undercharged or overpaying.

โ€œbattery charged for a few days of boondockingโ€ is absolutely wrong. A properly sized solar system recharges fully almost every day. Limping along...for a few days? Solar isnโ€™t a new toy or experimental.

Good advice.

I have a Kill-A-Watt meter that has been invaluable for getting real world power consumption of my 120v loads. I also have a Trimetric TM-2030 for measuring consumption of my 12 volt and 24 volt loads. The Trimetric will be my onboard battery monitor.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
This may help:

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
When you boon dock all winter in Arizona you need lots of solar if you want to live like you do at home, Just my thought's.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Trackrig wrote:
It depends on so many variables:
Solar is like horsepower, you never have too much and solar is cheaper than horsepower.

I'll have to remember that last line !

Boon Docker wrote:
I have 200 watts of solar with an MPPT controller feeding a 225 AH battery bank (two GC-2 6v batteries).
I boondock for weeks at a time and the batteries are fully charged by early afternoon as long as it is not cloudy.

I would consider this setup and absolute MINIMUM !

Yeah, a person needs at least 600-800 watts of solar and at least a 500 AH battery bank to boondock for a few days. :B

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
8 T105's and 600 watts of Kyocera panel's, use batteries for everything in the coach and the same for the fw which 2 batteries and 120 watt of solar.Also carry a Honda 3000i for the air.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

tbax46
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
tbax46 wrote:
What size of solar panels are needed to keep battery charged for a few days of boondocking.

How can anybody have been a member since 2004 and ask a question like that????? Got to be a troll. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I canโ€™t believe you would make an assumption like this. I donโ€™t frequent the forums very often. I havenโ€™t lived off the grid before and was simply seeking information. Luckily for me most of the replies were from helpful individuals.
Reflection 337
Silverado 3509HD
USN & 'Nam Vet

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
How long is a rope?

Otherwise most people with two batteries get on pretty good with 200 to 400 watts. More is always OK. If you are a real miser 100 watts might work.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
deleted--got that wrong.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
Solar is like horsepower, you never have too much and solar is cheaper than horsepower.

I'll have to remember that last line !

Boon Docker wrote:
I have 200 watts of solar with an MPPT controller feeding a 225 AH battery bank (two GC-2 6v batteries).
I boondock for weeks at a time and the batteries are fully charged by early afternoon as long as it is not cloudy.

I would consider this setup and absolute MINIMUM !

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where you camp - cloudy winter northwest to sunny Arizona
What time of year - is the sun up high or way down on the horizon
How much TV do you watch, how much music time
Are you going to use the microwave to heat a cup of coffee on batteries
Do you like lots of lights on at night
Do you run the ceiling fans
Is it cool out and the furnace blower is working, two furnaces?
Lots and lots of variables.

An extra couple of panels costs very little overall. The big part of solar is figuring how you're going to install it, where to put the monitors and run the wiring. A little bit larger controller for three or four panels is almost nothing. If your going to go through the exercise, take an extra couple of hours and install three our four panels. (Solar is like horsepower, you never have too much and solar is cheaper than horsepower.)

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Do an energy use survey...actual or what youโ€™d like to use. Your choice. That determines the battery amp hours needed, which determines the solar watts you need to recharge and the controller size. If you guess, you will be either undercharged or overpaying.

โ€œbattery charged for a few days of boondockingโ€ is absolutely wrong. A properly sized solar system recharges fully almost every day. Limping along...for a few days? Solar isnโ€™t a new toy or experimental.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad