cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portable Satellite Antenna

mxdad777
Explorer
Explorer
I know there are many topics on this, but after reading through them, I still don’t know what’s my best route. I’m looking at purchasing a Winegard Carryout G3 and getting a receiver for my RV. My question is, what receiver do I need to buy that will work with my G3 and do I just contact Direct TV and get another card for the new receiver? My extra TVs at home cost me an additional $7 month so I’m assuming it will cost me $7 more to have this in my RV. Am I on the right track, or am I missing something? Thanks for any input.
PS my extra TVs at home are Genie Mini connected through a bridge to my base unit a Genie Gen 2 Hr44-200.

2021 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

22 REPLIES 22

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thank-you.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
SWM stands for Single Wire Multiswitch. It is a new technology that DTV uses to send multiple channels down a single wire (coax). The H25 and higher model DTV receivers REQUIRE this technology to work while the older ones can utilize it but do not require it. No single LNB antenna (18" round, dome, whatever) offers the SWM technology but the addition of the SWM8 switch and a PI29 (not PI25) power inserter will make an 18" round or many domes work with the H25 and higher receivers.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill,
Could you explain a bit about SWM, not sure I understand that. I assume it is not needed with the 18" round antenna in my trailer.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, the H24 will be a great solution in the RV whenever the changeover actually takes place.
The H25 (and higher) receivers all require SWM technology which is not built into the LNB's inside a dome. However, you can add the SMW8 hardware between the dome and the receiver and the H25 or Genie will work just fine.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The question about receivers is not really in question at all. You just have to have an HD receiver to receive DTV programming in the near future (some are now reporting 2021). I suggest the H24 model or HR24 if you want a DVR. This will work today receiving only SD programming (true with any dome model antenna) and will work when the change happens someday. If/when this change happens your dome will start receiving programming in HD which will be a great improvement. What remains in question is which channels will be available since only the programming being broadcast from the 101 satellite can be picked up by a dome.

Bill,
I have Direct at home and have been using an SD receiver (D12-300)in our trailer as it has an 18" round roof mount antenna. I do have an HR24-500 receiver for our family room TV right now. From what you have stated above, it seems like my HR24-500 will work in the trailer with the 18" round antenna.

If so that will be great as Direct is providing a new receiver for our new 4k TV in the family room and I can keep the HR24 for the trailer.

Another question- I have an H25 receiver in our bedroom, why doesn't it work in the trailer?

mxdad777
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies. I’m leaning towards switching my house over to Dish as well as getting the Playmaker with Wally for the RV. I’m paying $165/month right now with no RV service from DirectTV. It looks like I can get a similar plan from Dish including RV for $107. I’ll spend another day researching and listening to any input before I pull the trigger, but Dish is looking pretty solid right now.

2021 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
I’m using an H24 receiver with my g3. I will see what happens when SD goes away.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
It’s never happened to us ever. A Pathway can run two sat boxes.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's good info regarding watching channels on different Satellites. I'm happy to hear that most programming on Dish comes from one SAT( As you said conflicts can occur but not often).
Thanks
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
I would not consider DirecTV at this time. Only DISH and with the portable "Dome" type antennas you need one dome for each receiver.. Or alt if you want "Same show on all TV's you can so some electronic magic and either convert HDMI to Coax or run a 2nd HDMI cable to the 2nd TV.

Dome antennas only get KU band. Dish uses 3 sats on the KU band so if you have multiple receivers odds are you will want a show on one bird and your wife another.. So you need one antenna per receiver or a triple dish (Standard Dish 1000)

Direc uses two bands KU and KA and the HD programming at this time is all KA. they are discontinuing SD and we do not know what will happen to the bird at 101W (The SD bird) when that happens. AT&T is trying to push their cable/fiber streams over sat delivery.. From this point on my feelings venture into the political arena so I'll stop here.

I would guess that almost no one uses 2 domes if they have 2 receivers. Most of the HD programming comes from only 1 satellite so the chances of agreeing on channels you both like is highly probable. Can you run into conflicts, of course. Is that conflict worth the extra cost? I doubt it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not consider DirecTV at this time. Only DISH and with the portable "Dome" type antennas you need one dome for each receiver.. Or alt if you want "Same show on all TV's you can so some electronic magic and either convert HDMI to Coax or run a 2nd HDMI cable to the 2nd TV.

Dome antennas only get KU band. Dish uses 3 sats on the KU band so if you have multiple receivers odds are you will want a show on one bird and your wife another.. So you need one antenna per receiver or a triple dish (Standard Dish 1000)

Direc uses two bands KU and KA and the HD programming at this time is all KA. they are discontinuing SD and we do not know what will happen to the bird at 101W (The SD bird) when that happens. AT&T is trying to push their cable/fiber streams over sat delivery.. From this point on my feelings venture into the political arena so I'll stop here.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not to derail this topic but while we are at it...I have an older King Dome 9762LP which seems compatible with Dish Network satellites BUT I'm wondering if its compatible with a Wally receiver? I'm getting ready to pull this Dome antenna and an older Datron dish off my roof but if the in motion still works with Dish Network, I'll keep it up there.

Disregard....called King Dome and got the answer. 🙂
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I’ve had both and I like DISH better. They are more RV friendly. You can change locals daily if you want. You can reauthorize your sat box from your phone.

I use a Pathway X2. Works great. You can’t use a Hopper and Joey tho.

I use a 211z. You can also use a Wally.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with what "Mr. Satellite" has said....the HR24 or H24 receiver will work with the single LNA/LNB round Dish(Domed Sat) now and when the change over takes place BUT try to get Direct to supply you with those particular receivers! I did, talking with roughly 10 different Reps and about 5-6 supervisors. Yes, you can buy these receivers BUT then play Hell getting a bought receiver activated. And even after you do all this, you will be at the mercy of Direct TV as to what they decide to put on the HD 101 Satellite. I Got tired of all the BS, fighting to keep what will amount to a less than prefect system.

After well over 20 years with Direct, they have lost me as a customer....I know, I know, don't let the door hit me on the way out, but that's OK...they can do without me as well as I can do with them.
96 Vogue Prima Vista