cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fleetwood Motorhome Owners ... Help!!!

jaycocamper6230
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 37U Fleetwood Bounder with the cat diesel. I have the F73-1042 REV M Battery Control Center. While on shorepower only house batteries charge and while engine is running only auxillary batteries charge. Aux start switch on dash does nothing. It has the 200amp Big Boy Battery Isolator. My question is what controls the Big Boy on this year Fleetwoods? Some mention a "BIRD" box (Bi-directional Isolator relay delay) which I have no idea where to find this or is it controlled by the circuit board in the BCC? I put a new Big Boy on and still the same problems. TIA for any guidance
12 REPLIES 12

avidude
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Bounder diesel 38S. Same chassis as yours. I had the same problem a few years ago. Problem with the isolator solenoid/relay. Simple and cheap to replace.

enblethen wrote:
No, the relays are not on the circuit board. My relay looks like a Ford starter relay. Many people call the relays "solenoids". Mine are silver cans about 1.5 inches diameter and two inches tall. The Big Boy relays are black and a little taller. Two large posts and two small posts for the control wires.
Big boy
Battery switch Mine has two control wire posts.
Ted

--
'07 Bounder Diesel 38S
Cat C7 300hp, Allison 3000MH
Tow: '11 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocamper62301 wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
Your system is set up from the factory to charge all batteries from all sources. You do not have a BIRD or do you need additional devices.
Most Non-Fleetwood owners do not understand your system.

Your 200 amp isolator relay is not functioning. Seeing how the relay is not functioning from the circuit board, in your BCC, or the emergency start button. I would guess the relay is bad.
Or you could have a bad connection on the control wires to the isolator relay. Look at the wiring print on the inside of the BCC (Battery Control Center) cover. It's really pretty simple.

Richard

Are the relays built into the board in the BCC because there is just a coach battery disconnect and a Chassis battery disconnect and 2 circuit breakers behind the control board?

The isolator relay on your coach will be close to the battery banks. One each large cable from each battery bank and two small control wires. It is larger that the 100 amp silver relay in a previous post.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

hotdog26
Explorer
Explorer
Before you go too crazy, I had a problem similar to yours. Went nuts throwing parts at it and all it was was the ground not making good contact. A wire brush and a new bolt to tighten it up.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
No, the relays are not on the circuit board. My relay looks like a Ford starter relay. Many people call the relays "solenoids". Mine are silver cans about 1.5 inches diameter and two inches tall. The Big Boy relays are black and a little taller. Two large posts and two small posts for the control wires.
Big boy
Battery switch Mine has two control wire posts.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

jaycocamper6230
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
Your system is set up from the factory to charge all batteries from all sources. You do not have a BIRD or do you need additional devices.

Your 200 amp isolator relay is not functioning. Seeing how the relay is not functioning from the circuit board, in your BCC, or the emergency start button. I would guess the relay is bad.
Or you could have a bad connection on the control wires to the isolator relay. Look at the wiring print on the inside of the BCC (Battery Control Center) cover. It's really pretty simple.

Richard

Are the relays built into the board in the BCC because there is just a coach battery disconnect and a Chassis battery disconnect and 2 circuit breakers behind the control board?

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There is a aux tart/ and charge relay on mine. It could be bad. My battery disconnects, ignition relay and aux/charge relay are all at same elevation in the battery cotrol center.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just so you know AUXILIARY batteries ARE the house batteries.
The Chassis battery is the "Main" at least on most RV's.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jaycocamper6230
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Check the fuse that controls the aux start/ charge relay. Mine is fuse 9 in the battery control center.

Fuses all check out ok. Problem is deeper. Are the chassis and coach battery disconnects behind the BCC board just for the battery disconnects?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Check the fuse that controls the aux start/ charge relay. Mine is fuse 9 in the battery control center.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
"engine is running only auxiliary batteries charge"

You need to diagnose and repair this. Both chassis and house banks should be charged by the alternator with the engine running.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I believe in 2006 this is how they worked. To charge the chassis batteries while plugged in you need a Trikl-Start which charges the chassis batteries off the house batteries while plugged in.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie