Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fresh Tank Filling on City Water
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Fresh Tank Filling on City Water

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

avarusbrightfyre wrote:

Ok, so I was poking around in my water intake area trying to figure out getting the valve out, and now I'm noticing that my water pump is kicking on every few seconds for like a 1 second burst, which I assume means it's losing pressure somewhere?

Yes, it's leaking backwards into the tank. Do as I posted earlier or I guess just learn to live with it.

Don't think so. When there's an O-ring problem, the lines don't get up to pressure to shut the pump off - it just keeps pumping water back into the tank.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

ScottG wrote:

avarusbrightfyre wrote:

Ok, so I was poking around in my water intake area trying to figure out getting the valve out, and now I'm noticing that my water pump is kicking on every few seconds for like a 1 second burst, which I assume means it's losing pressure somewhere?

Yes, it's leaking backwards into the tank. Do as I posted earlier or I guess just learn to live with it.

Don't think so. When there's an O-ring problem, the lines don't get up to pressure to shut the pump off - it just keeps pumping water back into the tank.

Rob

Not sure what O-rings your talking about but the issue the OP is experiencing is related to the diaphram area. I have fixed three different pumps that failed in this way just by cleaning.

OP, Since cleaning it didn't help and one of the screws is stripped and keeping that diaphragm from sealing internally, the pump needs to be replaced. Or you can install a manual valve before the pump but you risk the pump developing an external leak in the future.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My last travel trailer did that and it was the check valve in the pump. The dealer ended up installing a turn-off valve so the city water would not run into the fresh water tank. Fine, except when you wanted to fill the fresh water tank, you had to turn that newly installed valve on. But, it did fix the problem.. for the time being.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FILL Valve....leaking thru

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

FILL Valve....leaking thru

This... again...

Rob

avarusbrightfyre

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So as a temporary fix, I decided to adjust the plumbing to bypass the tank select valve completely so that way whatever is causing the problem is also bypassed and the city water won't leak into the tank. Turned out to be way harder than I thought. The factory setup had permanently affixed connections to most of the fittings in that area, which makes absolutely no sense to me, but whatever. I'm going to order parts to make all the connections in that area screw on connectors so I can easily pull out parts for cleaning, o-ring replacement, and whatever else might be needed. If the pump still has issues after that, which I'm sure it will because of that one screw, I'll replace it as well and see if that rectifies the issue. At the end of the day, though, I just don't want water leaking out of my trailer.

2019 34' Minnie Plus Travel Trailer
San Diego, CA

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/20 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Bucky, and if upon arrival no water is available? I never leave home or a campground without a full fresh water tank if available. If a TV and/or TT can’t handle the weight, someone bought the wrong TV and/or TT. Lots of beautiful DRY campgrounds in the West.

Good point. I usually only travel with enough for potty stops if needed.

* This post was edited 01/06/20 05:18am by bucky *

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

GenoB

Parker Strip, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/20 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a comment regarding fresh water tanks :

I've been RVing since the early 90's with several different RV's types. In general here is how I use the internal water tanks when traveling (not when parked on city water)

a) I never use the fresh water tank for cooking or drinking or brushing teeth
b) I DO use the fresh water tank for washing dishes, showers, general wash basin uses, toilet, etc
c) I keep the tank about 1/4 or less filled when stationary in RV park, more if needed when traveling.
d) I put about a cap full of bleach when adding water to the tank to keep water from going rancid
e) I do all my cooking and drinking with bottled water

Just me personally, has worked well for me over the years. I don't like leaving a tank dry / empty, things dry up and crack, etc. Never had any problems with the tanks using these methods...

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/20 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And we do the opposite. Use only tank water-- refilling and dumping gray and black when out of potable water.

This way tank water is always fresh. And, this gives us the option of not filling with CG water if it is poor quality.

Yes, sanitize tank at the beginning of each trip/if water over 2 weeks old in summer or 3 weeks old in winter.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

And we do the opposite. Use only tank water-- refilling and dumping gray and black when out of potable water.

This way tank water is always fresh. And, this gives us the option of not filling with CG water if it is poor quality.

Yes, sanitize tank at the beginning of each trip/if water over 2 weeks old in summer or 3 weeks old in winter.

I do the same. I always supply the coach from the fresh water tank using the water pumps. I fill the tank when it's empty and dump both holding tanks at the same time. I keep both of those closed until it's time to dump to ensure enough water volume for a good clean dump. The fresh water tank is always clean and safe to drink due to the fresh supply of chlorine in the city water supply.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Fresh Tank Filling on City Water
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.