cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LP tank control shutting down

vicmitch
Explorer
Explorer
Last camping trip last summer ended prematurely with the LP shutting off and no fresh tank available, problem tank was still nearly full, but valve refused to reset by turning off, even over night, so we just headed for home the next day. At home, took the problem tank for a refill, which didnโ€™t accept much LP, hooked up a different fresh tank to the camper and system worked fine. The day the tank valve shut off was over some very rough I system roads, thru Illinois, could the bumpy roads cause the LP tank valve to shut down? Out Lance โ€˜19 1885 came with 3 LP tanks, wonโ€™t leave the 3rd one home after this.
The problem tank also worked after the refill attempt.
3 REPLIES 3

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
It sounds like the excess flow valve tripped and shut off the tank. You did well to turn the tank off, but you also have to disconnect the pigtail and turn on the stove to bleed out the excess propane.

After the pressure is gone you can hook up the tank again and very slowly open the valve. Once it gets to about 1/4 turn open you can just open it the rest of the way.

This is basically what happened when you removed it to to be filled. On the positive side your tank is now full.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Did you try turning the tank upside down? Sometimes that can move the internal float valve.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
How large is the tank? A 5 gal (20 Lb) tank OPD valve made by some manufacturers contains a flow limiter as a result of the OPD design. Other tanks may contain a similar valve. I got this info from Manchester Tank engineers when I had trouble with excess flow limiter setting on some tanks I was using. I'd suggest taking the tank to a large, full service LP dealer/yard where they can diagnose your problem and even replace the tank valve. In my area, my local Southern States farm supply dealer can do this.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus