Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Goodyear Marathon tires class action?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Goodyear Marathon tires class action?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/20 06:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"If you have had problems with Goodyear Marathon tires on your fifth-wheel trailer, attorneys working with ClassAction.org are investigating whether a class action lawsuit can be filed in light of complaints that the tires are susceptible to tread separations and blowouts as early as the first several thousand miles. It’s believed the company is aware of the tire failures as dozens of drivers have reportedly brought their tires to Goodyear dealers to have them fixed or replaced. In addition, at least 100 complaints have been registered with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regarding the tires. If you have had such a problem, fill out a report on this page."
RV Travel

There are some other interesting points in this weeks issue, it's well worth subscribing.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm the clicky is one and a half years old but its gonna be interesting where this type of lawsuit will go as Goodyear stopped their Marathon production about 2 years back. There replacements were Goodyear Endurance with their introduction date January 30 2017 according to Goodyear news release.
Most likely thousand of the old Marathons are still on rv trailers/utility trailer/lawn service trailers and in warehouses back room shelves.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a legal team trying to drum up business. No different than all the personal injury (ambulance chasing) law firms advertising on tv.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/20 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Usually the judgement ends up being millions to attorneys and something like a $10 certificate towards new same-brand tires for the plainifs.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

CALandLIN

SC

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the years the Goodyear Marathon RV trailer tires, both USA & China manufactured have taken a beating in the user market.

Our 5th wheel trailer was one that suffered numerous failures before increasing tire load capacity solved our problems. Our (new) 2003 Keystone Everest 363K had 6000# vehicle certified GAWR axles. The factory installed original equipment (OE) tires were USA made ST235/80R16 LRD GY Marathons. Their maximum load capacity was 3000# at, 65 PSI which is what the placard recommended. Within 9 months we had used all five that came on the trailer because of various failure problems, all had lost their treads and a few blew out when the treads departed. A few trips to some scales showed that we had a single tire position overloaded but the axle was not overloaded. We were constantly traveling very close to maximum axle weights. The tires were provided nearly zero load capacity reserves and in some configurations, tires that were always overloaded. Top that off by traveling right at the 65 MPH maximum tire speed range you can see that the incident of early catastrophic failures was very predictable. By the middle of the second year of traveling we ditched all LRD tires and replaced them with LRE. Our failure rate almost completely disappeared. So, in my opinion, laying 100% of the blame on the GY tires was a misjudgment.

It was common practice by nearly all RV trailer manufacturers to provide OE tires with minimum legal load capacities. I just happened to have a Keystone product.

The rule has not changed, just the manufacturers application of it. Here is official minimum allowed tire load capacity per axle. (The sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall not be less than the GAWR of the axle system as specified on the vehicle's certification label).

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Usually the judgement ends up being millions to attorneys and something like a $10 certificate towards new same-brand tires for the plainifs.

That's the truth except the $10 figure is too high.

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had two sets of 235/16 Marathons on a previous fifth wheel, one set of US made LRD replaced with a Chinese made set of LRE's. I didn't have any problems with either of them. I now have a set of five year old 235/16 LRE Carlisle RH's (another tire maligned by some) on our present rig and have had no problems with them either.

I always keep them at sidewall pressure and below 65 MPH.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, have had a fair share of Marathins doin damage to my trailer fenders....like 10 years ago. Wonder if I can collect enough to retire??

Class action suit for a bunch of old crappy tires? Lol

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

ScottG wrote:

And just when you thought it could get no sillier.....From the wonderful website referenced in your post.

"Park Ranger Wage Lawsuits

If you work or have worked as a park ranger and weren't paid for time spent donning and doffing your uniform, attorneys working with ClassAction.org would like to speak to you about your rights."

Maybe I can sue all the employers I have worked for in my career for the time I spent donning and doffing my shorts every day for the last 25 years.

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

ScottG wrote:

Ambulance chasers get rich, you get a certificate for a free Dairy Queen.

B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Goodyear Marathon tires class action?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.