Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Would I ever be happy towing with a half ton truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Would I ever be happy towing with a half ton truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let the kid pay for his/her own college education. Didn’t you? I did.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigger truck is obviously better.

I was really surprised at how much of a difference "E" tires made on my F150.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Find yourself a used 3/4 or 1 tone diesel srw and you'll never regret it.
I've owned various sized trucks since 1976. I can swear by the 5.9 and 7.3's.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gald65 wrote:

Should I stop being a tight a$$ and get a 3/4 ton truck?
TIA

Assuming similarly outfitted...3/4ton isn't much more than a 1/2 ton.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

It still amazes me that people think a 5-6k lb half ton towing 10-11k lbs is absurd, but a 8-9k one ton towing 30+k lbs is perfectly acceptable. This is one reason why I think we need to get rid of terms like half tons and one tons because people place there expectations on what a half ton should tow in their mind rather than looking at the actual capabilities of the truck. To them it is perfectly fine that HD/SD trucks have increased tow ratings to absurd amounts over the years, but the half ton will always be good for towing less than 7k no matter how much they have been upgraded over the years.

Who is suggesting your average 1 ton is going to be happy with 30k lb?

The vast majority would say that's in MDT territory.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 11:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

It still amazes me that people think a 5-6k lb half ton towing 10-11k lbs is absurd, but a 8-9k one ton towing 30+k lbs is perfectly acceptable. This is one reason why I think we need to get rid of terms like half tons and one tons because people place there expectations on what a half ton should tow in their mind rather than looking at the actual capabilities of the truck. To them it is perfectly fine that HD/SD trucks have increased tow ratings to absurd amounts over the years, but the half ton will always be good for towing less than 7k no matter how much they have been upgraded over the years.

I agree that 30k is medium duty territory, but most people here tout their favorite brands latest chest beating marketing hype of being able to tow over 30K with a 9k lb truck configuration they will likely never own. There are also those that thing that a 3/4 ton can't safely and reliable handle more payload due to the 10k max GVWR of the government regulated class that all pre-2019 3/4 ton are in and ignorantly recommend a 1 ton because of it. If they actually looked at specs of a Ram 2500, it only has a rear GVWR of 500 lbs less than the 3500 but is limited in GVWR due to the class 2b max GVWR limits, not the actual capability of the truck.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 01:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

I agree that 30k is medium duty territory, but most people here tout their favorite brands latest chest beating marketing hype of being able to tow over 30K with a 9k lb truck configuration they will likely never own. There are also those that thing that a 3/4 ton can't safely and reliable handle more payload due to the 10k max GVWR of the government regulated class that all pre-2019 3/4 ton are in and ignorantly recommend a 1 ton because of it. If they actually looked at specs of a Ram 2500, it only has a rear GVWR of 500 lbs less than the 3500 but is limited in GVWR due to the class 2b max GVWR limits, not the actual capability of the truck.

You are talking outliers who suggest you will be happy with 30k on a 1 ton. That is not the common response by a long shot.

On the other hand 7-9k on a 1/2 ton, is pretty commonly suggested as OK...if you spec it correctly.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gald65 wrote:

Is anyone out there towing that type of weight with one of the newer F150’s with the 13000lb configuration? Are you happy with the handling? Should I stop being a tight a$$ and get a 3/4 ton truck?
TIA

A newer F150 with a 13,000 lbs GVWR is going to be on the more expensive side. If money is the issue, you can get a 3/4 ton for low to mid 30's.

What is the matter with your Denali that you aren't "happy" with it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Denali on the more expensive side of GM trucks?

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Gald65 wrote:

Should I stop being a tight a$$ and get a 3/4 ton truck?
TIA

Assuming similarly outfitted...3/4ton isn't much more than a 1/2 ton.
But you can't get the 3.5 ecoboost & 10 speed transmission in a 3/4 ton; a superior combination when the truck is also a daily driver.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Captain_Happy wrote:

Quick answer: YES

The OP had several questions. Which question does your answer apply to?

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Would I ever be happy towing with a half ton truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.