Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Maximum length rig considerations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Maximum length rig considerations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In traveling coast to coast twice and in over 40 states I have not been in a park where I could not park my 40' coach and Jeep. Yes some had a few sites that would not accommodate but they did have some that would do so.

My only problem was in a KOA in northern CA that had to cut limbs ahead of me to give me height clearance which they did very quickly. Height clearance is a concern for some RV. I have had to go under some 13'6" clearances to reach a few parks. I have had to replace a few stationary antennas (not TV) due to beating them on low clearances. 13'6" gives very little extra room.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If wanting to do more off road camping, something to be said of a reg cab SW 35 series truck, with a 9-10' camper in bed. Granted, not as luxurious as a pusher, high end 5w, but you can get into, or up and down bad terrain with a 4WD rig.
Or have a type B van from MB in the 4wd made up. I know of two really keel customizing shops here in WA state. About as far from you as can be in US. Buttwi other options if you want to see some real off the beaten track sites.

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess this would be too big then ?
[emoticon]
https://youtu.be/PbaaTlpL4mM

davelinde

Lake Nona, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/20 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I keep collecting info on this I'm finding that rigs designated <30', eg a "29M" are longer, eg 31' bumper to bumper on a motorhome. Keeping ourselves under 30' eliminates the possibility of any diesel pushers for consideration an also limits the number of gas motorhome floorplans. I was convinced that access to some parks might be worth adhering to a 30 hard limit in our search for the next RV... but if the limit is really a hard limit that does cut out a lot of options and I'm rethinking it.

So no... we have no interesting in going off road. We'd just hate to get somewhere and find that the lower cost and/or attractive parks could not accommodate us.

Dave Lindemulder
Tammy, Mark & Kirsten
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 SLT QC/SB HO-CTD/48RE
01 Volvo VNL660 singled VED12
09 Heartland Cyclone 3210

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/20 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

prichardson wrote:

For National Parks 30' is pretty much the limit especially in the dry camping areas. A few have some larger sites with hookups that accept longer. Quite often it is the road accessibility as much as the site size that creates the length limit.

Not true at all.

[image]

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TechWriter wrote:

prichardson wrote:

For National Parks 30' is pretty much the limit especially in the dry camping areas. A few have some larger sites with hookups that accept longer. Quite often it is the road accessibility as much as the site size that creates the length limit.

Not true at all.

Doesn't really mean much. Define 40'+. Is that the parking pad length? How much is plus worth?

I go to lots of ACOE parks in the mid atlantic, that have sites our 40' 5r will fit in, but I can not get to them because of the narrow (usually one lane one way) roads lined with trees, or can not get backed into them for the same reasons. And thats not counting the 22' of truck pulling it.

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/20 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"In traveling coast to coast twice and in over 40 states I have not been in a park where I could not park my 40' coach and Jeep."

I must be visiting the little places you missed!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/20 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those are some interesting statistics TechWriter but they don't help much when you roll into a CG with your 40'plus triple axle bunkhouse, 2 bath rolling townhouse & all of the few sites that can accommodate it are occupied by somebody in a pickup with a doghouse in the bed or people in conversion vans.

It is the way it is. No matter what they drive people will take the biggest site available. Nothing like seeing somebody with a popup trailer in a 75' pull through as you struggle, with your 38' FW, to back into a spot far more suitable for that popup.

This is why size matters. The bigger you are the tougher it is to get a site suitable for your size in CGs where people are allowed to pick whatever they want with no consideration for size requirements big or small.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

davelinde

Lake Nona, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/20 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To clarify my issue here. The 30' number is out there and DW is attached to it. We are not looking to get another triple axle rig - we had one. However if we make a hard limit at 30' it takes DP MH off the table, which is fine. But I'm struggling to find a short gas rig with the ability to carry much and that's not fine.

If expanding our criteria to 35' won't lock us out of a lot of places I'll make the case to DW...

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/20 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consider what you want in the interior, cause that also affects length. I have to have a couch, cause I hate sitting at the dinette. I found many more had a couch at a 32 foot length. I'm sure there are shorter ones that have it. Over the years, when this subject comes up, a good many members say 32 foot.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Maximum length rig considerations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.