Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can I tow this and how will it feel?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Can I tow this and how will it feel?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay here are the specs. I "think" I'm figuring this right.

2017 Chevy Express 15 passenger van. 1LT. 6.0L engine.
GCWR 16,000
GVWR 9,600
Van Weight 6,129

Passengers total weight: 920 Pounds
RV weight: 6,660 Pounds
Battery + Propane: 125 pounds

Weight Distribution Hitch: 100 pounds
1 Seat removed from van (extra space) = +80 pounds (gained)

Clothes, towels, blankets, pillows, fluff: 100 pounds
Food: 30 pounds
Extension cords, some hand tools, fix a flat, parts: 100 pounds
A few pots, pans, dishes, etc.: 50 pounds
Outdoors stuff like camp chairs, bug candles, etc: 50 pounds
Bathroom stuff, tooth brushes, etc.: 15 pounds
Misc whatever: 200 pounds

If fill 30 gals of freshwater 30 X 8 = 240 pounds

So I did the Math Subtracting everything (and adding one thing) from my GCWR.

I'd be left with:

+1361 pounds until I hit (what I understand??) to be my limit, or +1601 without a tank full of fresh water.

I also don't plan to travel much with full gray or black tanks.

So question time.

Am I missing something here?
If truly I still have 1361 Pounds left, should that be a "breeze" for my van to tow this trailer + all passengers & stuff?

What about grades? Will it struggle/white knuckle time (or will it handle it well) **note in mountains I will ABSOLUTELY not carry fresh water or gray/black water on mountains so +1601 until GCWR of 16000.

All opinions, suggestions, etc. appreciated. I just would like to know what I'm in for. Thanks!!

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Lwiddis

Death Valley NP

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/20 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“without a tank full of fresh water.“

You’ll be unable to stay at bunches of beautiful dry campgrounds if you don’t have any fresh water. Why cut it so close? Barely within weight maximums? That’s not fun.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agwill

enosburg falls, vt

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 2015 one ton 15 passenger van also and no problem with 9,000 pound trailer.

al

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agwill wrote:

I have 2015 one ton 15 passenger van also and no problem with 9,000 pound trailer.

Any trouble on steep hills/mountains by chance?

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crasster wrote:

Okay here are the specs. I "think" I'm figuring this right.

2017 Chevy Express 15 passenger van. 1LT. 6.0L engine.
GCWR 16,000
GVWR 9,600
Van Weight 6,129

Passengers total weight: 920 Pounds
RV weight: 6,660 Pounds
Battery + Propane: 125 pounds

…. Thanks!!

Are you planning to tow this with the RV in your signature??

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The crucial spec you didn't mention is- what does the Van's owners manual say Re: towing capacity.

Jayco-noslide

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/20 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think your numbers are correct IF you want to stay below your GCWR of 16,000. But, that is not the first number you should focus on.
Your stated GVWR is 9600 while your van only weighs 6129. Subracting these leaves you with 3471 which is a very healthy payload capacity. Payload capacity is where most of us get into trouble. Large trailers connected to half ton trucks usually violate the payload numbers before they violate the GCWR.

Ok, with 3471 to play with start subracting things that will go in the van, not things that go in the trailer. 920 for the family, 100 lbs for the hitch itself and you are down to 2451 which is still a large number. You can add back the 80 pounds for taking out the seat and now you have 2531. What you failed to account for is the hitch weight of the trailer. Think about that. Drop the hitch on the ball and you are adding weight to the van. Even if you had a HW of 1200 lbs you would still be good to go. So, as someone earlier posted, you should not have any trouble with your set up.

One last thing. With today's TVs, engines have improved vastly. Some think that as long as you can go fast and make it over the hills you are good to go. When and if you go over your payload capacities, you are pushing the GVRW numbers. These are there based on the ability of the axles to carry the weight safely and the ability of the TV to stop safely. Stay within the ratings and you will minimize the wear and tear of the components on your TV.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aftermath wrote:

I think your numbers are correct IF you want to stay below your GCWR of 16,000. But, that is not the first number you should focus on.
Your stated GVWR is 9600 while your van only weighs 6129. Subracting these leaves you with 3471 which is a very healthy payload capacity. Payload capacity is where most of us get into trouble. Large trailers connected to half ton trucks usually violate the payload numbers before they violate the GCWR.

Ok, with 3471 to play with start subracting things that will go in the van, not things that go in the trailer. 920 for the family, 100 lbs for the hitch itself and you are down to 2451 which is still a large number. You can add back the 80 pounds for taking out the seat and now you have 2531. What you failed to account for is the hitch weight of the trailer. Think about that. Drop the hitch on the ball and you are adding weight to the van. Even if you had a HW of 1200 lbs you would still be good to go. So, as someone earlier posted, you should not have any trouble with your set up.

One last thing. With today's TVs, engines have improved vastly. Some think that as long as you can go fast and make it over the hills you are good to go. When and if you go over your payload capacities, you are pushing the GVRW numbers. These are there based on the ability of the axles to carry the weight safely and the ability of the TV to stop safely. Stay within the ratings and you will minimize the wear and tear of the components on your TV.

Thanks a bunch for this informative answer!! [emoticon]

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

100 pounds of fluff seems low for 920 lbs worth of people.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/20 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next question, would I be pushing it if I bought a 7200 pound trailer rather than the 6660 pound one as I mentioned earlier?

So this would be 821 pounds left for GCWR Max.

I think I have plenty of payload for Tongue weight.

What my main concern is will I be struggling greatly up grades/down grades? I don't mind if I feel it for sure, I just mind if I'm gonna have doubts if I can make it over a 6% grade.

I do have the M5 / M4 option on my van to keep it out of high gear.

Plus I have a tow button which does.... umm... what it does. [emoticon]

If it would struggle on mountain grades, how would it do on flats and "basic" hills?

Thanks!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Can I tow this and how will it feel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.