cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pita Bread

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
I was curious about how difficult it was to make Pita Bread so I googled it.
It seems it is very easy and bakes fast, 4-5 minutes and can be made in an oven or skillet. Dough can be kept in fridge and used over a few days.
The only difficulty if you want to call it that is it takes a couple hours to rise which is not a big deal.
I haven't tried it yet but just wanted to throw it out there.
8 REPLIES 8

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
This is the best camp bread I've ever "et". ๐Ÿ™‚

Pan de campo (camp bread), long a favorite of cowboys in South Texas, has become a trademark of outdoor chef Ruben Hinojosa,
who has garnered top prizes in several competions with this recipe.

2 cups flour
2 level tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
3/8 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup cold milk

Mix all the ingredients, but don't knead the dough too much. If it feels dry, add a few drops of milk.

Roll the dough into a circle about 1/2-inch thick. (Thinner if you want a crisper loaf.)

Place into a well-greased, preheated 14-inch Dutch oven, and poke a few holes in the dough with a fork to allow steam to escape.
Bake 10-15 minutes, turning the bread over after about 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve hot.

Some cooks prefer shortening instead of oil, others use water instead of milk. Experiment to find the version that suits your
taste. (Folks cooking in regular ovens will want to set the temperature to 400 degrees.)

3c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/3 C warm water

Mix the dry ingredients and add water kneading to form a soft dough that is soft, yet not
sticky. Stretch and pull the dough until thin. Tear off a piece of dough and poke a hole
in the center with your finger or thumb. Drop each piece into a skillet of hot cooking oil
and brown on both sides.

Serve it while hot topped with honey or powdered sugar for a sweet treat (Yum-Yum).
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Pita bread is readily available where we live so I have not attempted to make it. Our favorite is to make a beerock type filling (fried onion,cabbage and ground beef or shredded beef and spices) cut the pita in half and fill.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Naan bread is fun too.

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
and you bake it where?

As posted, in an oven or even a skillet on the stove.
Dutch oven would be iffy because they bake so quick.
They bake very fast and puff up then go flat when cool.
There are videos showing them baking.
They say they taste better than store bought.
You can also add any flavors that you like, maybe garlic, onion, or??

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
A dutch oven will work great for baking pita or biscuits either on a stove top, an oven, or a wood fire.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
and you bake it where?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
one of our fav things to do with pita bread, besides for gyros, is to make small individual pizzas. yum. just sayin'.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A mere double cocktail hour for raising.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad