cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-70 Colorado in April

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
SO we're planning a trip to Moab, UT the end of April coming from the east. I'm hearing that it's not unusual to get snow at that time of year and I-70 may be closed then. Any comments?
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......
17 REPLIES 17

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:

Traffic on I-70 can be terrible, but end of April is mud season - most of the ski areas are closed but still more than enough snow to keep a lot of people out of the mountains.

That said, if schedule permits, avoid going west Friday afternoon or evening and Saturday until about mid day.

Going East, avoid traveling Sunday.

Mud season - funny. Our usual 4-season stomping grounds are the NY Adirondacks and there's mud season there too.
We have reservations in Moab. Current plans are to hit Escalante for a few days then Kanab.
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
mbopp wrote:
SO we're planning a trip to Moab, UT the end of April coming from the east. I'm hearing that it's not unusual to get snow at that time of year and I-70 may be closed then. Any comments?

Everyone is likely relating their experiences to you - so While I do not live in Colorado I've got Four Granddaughters there - so we are there often to say the least - Having also spent two Winters in Golden I have traveled often in both the RV and the Car to and From Vail/Breck/Steamboat/Moab - so I can relate to your concern. I'll be flying out tomorrow for a week so I'll check first hand.

Watch the Weather - Period!

It can and will often change more than once a day, Look at CDOT - https://www.cotrip.org/map.htm#/default?StreamingCameraId=10269 - click on any camera to see the Currant conditions - as they are all Different.

Big Deal is Eisenhower Tunnel and Vail Pass - then usually good to Glenwood Springs - and try to Remember to Exit on Utah Exit 214 off I-70 to Moab - Following the Colorado River Just Beautiful and a great Welcome to Moab Drive:)

4runnerguy's Link here - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29448394.cfm - will help with Moab, April is busy so might be smart to check for Reservations.

Link to West Side Truck Ramp post #13

Pictures don't lie - Thousands of Skiers flock to those Hills when it snows - so Check CDOT info and just be prepared to wait a day if needed, Love it in those Rocks in April.

Weekends are not a good time as Traffic can Be Horrendous - Lot's of Skiers! - IMHO Traffic is as big a concern as Weather.

Hope this helps,

Traffic on I-70 can be terrible, but end of April is mud season - most of the ski areas are closed but still more than enough snow to keep a lot of people out of the mountains.

That said, if schedule permits, avoid going west Friday afternoon or evening and Saturday until about mid day.

Going East, avoid traveling Sunday.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I first moved to Colorado I planned a Memorial Day trip to Grand Lake which is not that high. My heart sank when I got the first view of the Lake and it was still frozen. Be ready for winter all the time.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would carry chains for the rear drive axle and maybe some flimsy cables for one trailer axle. Test fit at home and keep fingers crossed that you never put them on.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:

Everyone is likely relating their experiences to you - so While I do not live in Colorado I've got Four Granddaughters there - so we are there often to say the least - Having also spent two Winters in Golden I have traveled often in both the RV and the Car to and From Vail/Breck/Steamboat/Moab - so I can relate to your concern. I'll be flying out tomorrow for a week so I'll check first hand.

Watch the Weather - Period!

It can and will often change more than once a day, Look at CDOT - https://www.cotrip.org/map.htm#/default?StreamingCameraId=10269 - click on any camera to see the Currant conditions - as they are all Different.

Big Deal is Eisenhower Tunnel and Vail Pass - then usually good to Glenwood Springs - and try to Remember to Exit on Utah Exit 214 off I-70 to Moab - Following the Colorado River Just Beautiful and a great Welcome to Moab Drive:)

4runnerguy's Link here - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29448394.cfm - will help with Moab, April is busy so might be smart to check for Reservations.

Link to West Side Truck Ramp post #13

Pictures don't lie - Thousands of Skiers flock to those Hills when it snows - so Check CDOT info and just be prepared to wait a day if needed, Love it in those Rocks in April.

Weekends are not a good time as Traffic can Be Horrendous - Lot's of Skiers! - IMHO Traffic is as big a concern as Weather.

Hope this helps,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
Thanks for the input. Coming from NY I'm used to driving in snow but not with a trailer. If I have to I'll wait a day on the weather.

Not that I intend to travel if the weather is really bad, but if you have a 4X4 do you still need chains? New truck so the tires are good.

4x4 with new tires are fine.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. Coming from NY I'm used to driving in snow but not with a trailer. If I have to I'll wait a day on the weather.

Not that I intend to travel if the weather is really bad, but if you have a 4X4 do you still need chains? New truck so the tires are good.
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Weather reports are fairly accurate these days. Keep an eye on it.
I would not hesitate to go over I70 any month of the year but still there is no reason to head right into a big storm.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
The closer to the end of April you get, the less chance that snow will be an issue. Can it happen, sure, but we've had to use 4x4 to get out of a campsite with 6"+ of snow on July 4th up on the Flat Tops, so no month is totally without risk.

Yes there are alternatives. Just because we get a dump here in CO doesn't mean that I-80 through Wyoming won't be good. Just depends on the storm track. Fifty miles north or south can mean the difference between 8" and a dusting. Been happening a lot this winter.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Mbiviano wrote:
Yeah I wouldnโ€™t change your plans. There are other ways around I70 to Moab if snow comes.
Ha Hah -- the alternates are snowy too!
Just wait it out if the weather is bad.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
All of the above. March/April are the big snow months in Colorado, but last year there was goodly snow in May as well, in some places 500-800% above normal. Trail Ridge Rd did not open for Memorial Day weekend on time. The good thing about I-70 is that, it being a major east/west route across country, CDOT does a good job keeping it as open as they can. As mentioned previously, the 2 challenges in a storm are the Eisenhower/Johnson tunnels and Vail Pass. Once you get down to Vail, it less daunting, although Glenwood Canyon can be tricky if it's snowing. S-L-O-W is the word of the day for traveling in the mountains in the snow.

There are limited alternatives that don't involve I-70. In the north, there's CO 14 from Fort Collins through Poudre Canyon to Walden and on to picking up US 40 outside of Steamboat Springs. Getting down from US 40 to Moab could be tricky though. In the south, there's US 50 that goes through the Arkansas Valley, up and over Monarch Pass and then down through Gunnison and on to Montrose and Grand Junction. There's also US 160 that goes over Wolf Creek Pass and drops down to Pagosa Springs and on to Durango and Cortez, and on to Moab.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Also be aware that Colorado has a Traction Law for vehicles traveling through our mountains from October thru May. Basically, if the roads are snow covered and the law is in effect you will need snow tires with adequate tread or chains. If not you cannot proceed or if you get stuck and delay traffic the fines are large.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
April is one of Colorado's snowiest months. But it is also warming up, so pretty unusual to have snow last a long time (even in the mountains).

I wouldn't change plans based on weather worries crossing I70. Worst case, wait a day, and then head across.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldnโ€™t cancel my trip. Be flexible! Carry chains or cables, a shovel etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad