Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Pumping out of a water jug
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Pumping out of a water jug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed a 3-port valve on the inlet side of the RV's onboard pump that lets me draw liquids from an external container using a short hose in one position and draw from the onboard water tank in the other. Depending on how the fill/use valve is set, the pump can either pressure the plumbing or fill the water tank from the external container. If I needed to winterize, it could also be used to pump anti-freeze through the system.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

I installed a 3-port valve on the inlet side of the RV's onboard pump that lets me draw liquids from an external container using a short hose in one position and draw from the onboard water tank in the other. Depending on how the fill/use valve is set, the pump can either pressure the plumbing or fill the water tank from the external container. If I needed to winterize, it could also be used to pump anti-freeze through the system.

I was wondering about doing that, thanks for the confirmation that it works.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 12:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too have used the winterizing hose connection to draw water from a five gallon bucket or a 7 gallon aqua tainer.

The aquatainer spigot screws into the bottom of the aquatainer cap for storage and screws into the top of the cap to use for dispensing water. The thread is 3/4 inch npt as is most plastic spigots that screw into the Caps of similar jugs.

I have a spare aquatainer cap that I screwed a plastic three-quarter inch male npt x hose barb fitting into to replace the spigot. I can slip the winterizing hose over the barb and turn the jug on its side and draw water through the pump from the jug when the fresh water tank goes empty.

In an emergency I can use an aqua tainer or any other jug or bucket as an emergency water supply. I also use the cap with the hose barb when I sanitize. I can fill an aqua tainer with two gallons of water along with the proper amount of bleach, attach a piece of tubing to the Barb, fish it down the freshwater tank water fill port pouring the contents in and then top off the tank.

The tank is under the trailer and supported by the frame along with an additional piece of angle supporting the middle of the tank. There is insulation and a piece of coroplast covering the bottom of the tank. It does well for the temperatures here in Virginia but every 10 years or so we do get single-digit temperatures overnight and teens in the day.

We had a few days of such temperatures and the water fresh water tank began icing up enough to block the tank suction tube. I had to use the 7 gallon aqua tainers for a couple of days until the temperatures warmed up enough to allow water to flow from the freshwater tank again.

* This post was edited 02/05/20 12:23am by mobeewan *

mchero

Henniker, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dump the water bottle C**P and purchase a water bladder. I used one while on BLM land, worked like a charm. The best feature..... Roll or fold it up. Took next to nothing in space.
It was rather comical watching people pull up with a wagon load of water bottles at the water station.

Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my solution that has worked very well

1) buy the 6 gallon square blue water jugs that have a vent hole and a big threaded spout
2) get some 1/4" SS tubing long enough to go to the bottom of the jug. Cut one end at a 30 degree angle or so and put flexible hose on the other end.
3) ream out the vent hole to just large enough to let you push the SS tube through it.
4) Then I added a RV water pump in my pass through near the water inlet and connected it to power with a switch.
5) I connected the other end of the tubing to the water pump inlet
6) I spliced in some tubing from the output of the water pump into the water inlet big flexible tubing.

Now to fill from the external jugs, I put them on the ground, stuff the SS tube into the jug vent hole take off turn on the water pump and let it pump away.

If it isn't easy to plumb directly into the water inlet, just run a hose from the pump outlet that is long enough to fit into the water inlet to the RV fresh water tank, insert it before you start pumping.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"insert it before you start pumping. "

Is that one of those in-house lawyer requirements that you have to put out in writing? [emoticon]

I hope it isn't one of those IQ test things that I often fail.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have tought of the bladder for the reasons of storing it empty. Is it 100% not going to leak? that is my fear…

I do not have a water heater on this small rig, so for hot water, a stove, big pot and pour the hot water into the portable container, mix with cold water so desired temp is correct.
For showers.

I lke the 3-way. Is that in PEX too? I have seen them in plastic, but that is old technology of yesteryear that i dont want to get stuck with. Pex preferred.

mchero

Henniker, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased a bladder that fit in the back of the 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Pulled up to water spigot, hooked up and filled the bladder. Back at the rig we used a Sureflow pump to pump the water into the Discovery. Worked like a champ! My wife has the name of the place we purchased the bladder from. She's not here this evening. I will get the name and post later.
When we where finished we caped it and folded it up. Never leaked. Just had to watch it closely while filling, did not want to get distracted, that sucker would have made a mess if it overfilled and popped!

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've heard of someone using an air or water matress (if you can find one) and using that as a bladder. They treated it with beach solution overnight, then baking soda. Have no idea how this worked out but is supposedly cheaper than an official bladder. I also heard that someone put a bladder on the roof of the RV and used gravity feed. I would not assume that the roof was designed for that weight and also how the heck do you get a filled bladder up on the roof?? Just to save a couple of bucks for a 12V pump. Or maybe they didn't know about the pumps.

windinmyface2

california

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harbor Freight sells a pump $10.00). 2 D batteries, works great.

lets go!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Pumping out of a water jug
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.