Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chevy express Towing U-haul flatbed w/ 4650LB trailblazer

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy express Towing U-haul flatbed w/ 4650LB trailblazer

The 04 chevy express 2500 has 6500LB tow capacity weird that it’s the same as the 1500 express of same era. Or maybe I misread these specs. on the net.

Also weird conversion vans don’t lower this rating even w/ the increased payload of extra seats compared to the cargos.

Anyway I’m planning a few road trips to look one trip is a major city where I could easily get around w/out my own ride.

This current #1prospretect of a new express van is 5 hours away in the country, so I’d probably have to drive to look in the trailblazer.

Then expect to use the express w/ Uhaul flatbed to transport the AWD trailblazor.
Not sure what a UH flatbed weights?like you have to tell UH what youre towing right?

I’ve been informed in previous threads the express is to wide (even w/ GM dounut spare tires) to fit on a UH tow dolly.

Another option is to purchase either vehicle w/ stipulation of assistance in transporting then I take the person home after dropping off the van at my home.

What do you Guys think. and thanks for advice.
30 REPLIES 30

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
I've already passed on the musicians van to many miles and very worn on inside.like I say I should've hung up the phone when the he said he bought from an old white guy.

now I'm considering the next prospect a 04 explorer.w/168K miles but appears much better condition especially underneath rust which is minimal.

I'm basicelly anti truck but maybe one day I'd like a overland type f250 camperized truck I have alot to learn about payloads and towing at the same time.I rarely see a truck w/ camperized shell towing anything so this may not be a good idea.

yes I'm currently towing w/ a awd midsized suv 5.3 V8 gtm360 (303HP 330torque weight is 1K LBs litter than a tahoe tows& stops great just small on the inside) good and camping in main vessel cabin cruiser on water & land.I should probablly emphasize on makeing the cabin cruiser more comfortable and just keep the suv.

I'd like to take a few quickie trips w/ my dingy no trailer wanted so I'd prefer a van w/ dingy on roof or vertically on a cargo carrier.

check the created threads on each subject.

would you happen to know where the options lable is on express vans.
thanks TB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bud, I think you know enough to know you should pass on this van.
Too much to expect relative reliability out of an old high mile vehicle that doesn't present well from all angles. For me, just knowing the owner is a musician says 80% chance he don't know or don't care about taking care of a vehicle. Call it profiling, but um yeah.

What's the specific want for a van? Your intended use is towing a bay boat to the launch, or are you planning long trips and using it as an ad hoc camper?
If the former, there are 10x more pickups for sale so much more to choose from. And 2wd pickups have low resale like vans, so just as economical to purchase.
If the latter, then suburban, tahoes, and pickups with a shell could do the same function.
And again, 2wd burbs and yukons don't fetch much money. Actually, in the budget/age you're looking, the 4wd ones are cheap too. $3-5k can get you a sub 150k mile GMT 800 style suv out here. Maybe a bit more for the cherry ones.
We just bought a 01 Tahoe with only 100k on it and a towing trans 4wd loaded for $5k last fall. Was a good deal, but not a steal. Take the extra seats out of a Tahoe or Suburban and it's basically a van, with way more to choose from on the market.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
considering a 04 express conversion it's priced kindof high however the seller hasn't sold in a 5 week period he's finding out the PITA of selling anything.

anyway I requested the options code marty says it's in the glove box my saab has a sticker in it's gl9ve box my trans am has it on the door w/ the tire lable.

the seller claims there isn't a lable in the glove box which is really the dog house's engines storage.
did get the tire lable but there aren't codes. could the code lable be located some other place? thanks

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
I’m glad someone mentioned not all vans came w/ g80

I have a thread at the chevy forum titlted help me choose my new express.

Stan a owner of a newer 3500 extended admitted he wished he checked his van came w/the g80 LSD (it's one wheel wonder) or is G80 allways locked to both wheels like a detriot locker.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
2014 was the final year of a 1500 Express. That would be the newest AWD you would find.

The 4.3 in Express is the new 4.3.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

blt2ski
I've seen a lot of the RWD 1500 pickups from the uhaul fleet with the G80 as installed going a few years back. So would not surprise me the vans are that way too. Certainly a better option than what the OP is looking at.

The older 4.3 vans had 200-220hp so not a lot of power. The 2014+ 4.3 is around a 300/300 motor, as the 4.8 V8 is. The 5.3 depending upon year ranges from 320'ish before 2014, and 350+ after 14. 14+ motors the mpg is increase upwards of 25% vs previous models. depending upon budget, a 14 or newer is a better option.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
The earlier 3500 came with the 4.8 V8 and the 6.0 V8 as an option. Then GM shifted to the 4.3 V6, with the 6.0 as the option. The G80 has always been an option. I believe that the 2019 rentals had the G80 added as options.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
yeah G80 is a must don't want a one wheel wonder. the preferred AWD mite be hard to find down south I do see the AWDs up north on icei slippy roads.

I thought all express's came w/ g80 and the option is gear ratio.

I'd like the biggest strongest hitch like a class 4 at 1K tongue weight & 10K for load even thou I'm only towing less than 1/2 that weight.

so are the 1500 hitches same physical size making a 3500 4 class will fit a 1500?
thanks

blt2ski
For what a NEW hitch costs, get a new one. 200-300$

The 3500 comes with a 6.0 motor. Depending upon year, the 6 sp auto shows up first, IIRC about 06-07 models.

With a GM van, find one with the G80 locking rear option if you want a bit more traction. Should be on a sticker in glove box.

Marty

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
yes I knew the 3500 has bigger frame there much taller than the 1500 and think there all extended wheel base vehicles I believe the 3500 are used for the 9 passenger conversion.

I thought the 2500 was the goldie locks the inbetween middle size. thanks for explaining this.

so what's differnt on the 2500 compared to the 1500 maybe engine size
I'd prefer the 6.0 if all I can find is rear wheel drive.

the actuel desired van is a 1500 all wheel drive which I believe only comes w/ a 5.3, these AWDs are usually northern saltbelt vans.

thanks again for explaining the differences. I see the extra wheel lug nut 6 in all on the 2500 compared to 5 on my old 02 express.
not sure the other differnces if any.

I think I'm passing on the 240K mile van Guy is just too hard to deal w/ won't answer repeated ?s just seams like he wants to hide stuff like the trashed front seats plus other stuff. the search continues.

edit are the trailer hitches interchangable from a 3500 to a 1500

like the next prospect doesn't have a hitch, I'd like the strongest hitch I can get off a junk yard van.

and what are the ratings for each hitch. I beleive my gmt360 has 600LB tongue can't remember it's weight load.

blt2ski
That can is a 7200 gvw 2500 van. In a nut shell, a light duty van. Does not have same frame suspension as a 2500 pickup, or 3500 van. That can has same suspension frame etc as a 1500 pickup.
Depending upon what you are pulling, yes, 6000-7000 is probably all that van is rated for.
It also probably has 3.98 axle gears, vs the two optional of 3.42 or 3.73.

It's probably with running from.

My 02

Marty

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
I should have hung up the phone when I heard he bought it from a old white man

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
update finelly recieved a few images either this guy can't take images or like to hide stuff.
sean the dash w/ engine running I observe good oil presaure,alt charging and temp at 200 so engine seams fine.

the outside body appears decent shape most importantly the rust under body appears just surface rust not a northern van.

the engine is a 5.3 according to the image I see on air filter the engine area appears kindof clean and the exposed grill front end bolts aren't rusted.

the wheels are 16"s have 6 lug nuts so this is actuelly a 2500 correct (I will reread all the excellent advice I think someone mentioned the series differnces)

the bad the lower section of both front seats is shot.all the door handles are snapped off and it's very dirty inside.

still could worth a look remember it's tow vehicle left at a public boat lauch for 4 days (there are bums in this area.) at a time so I don't want a $50K van
being unattended.

Gary the trailblazor is actuelly a saab97x 5.3 litre most folks don't know what a saab 97x is so I wrote trailblazor gtm-360
this saab was built by GM they owned saab for a few years has 6 lug nuts
curious if I could swap the wheels to the van the saab has 13" brake rotors so a 16" maynot fit the saab?
Thanks

GaryUT
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
thebrain wrote:
I didn't know a AWD can be towed on a dolly how is the the transfer case switched to neutral.
this traiblazor is my first AWD vehicle so I need to learn this stuff.are you saying I can switch the Transfer case to a neutral gear.
and tow the blazer on a dolley.

not sure what a toad is
Thanks

Toad = Towed Vehicle.

Unfortunately the AWD Trailblazer cannot be dolly towed like the 4x4 Trailblazer could be. The 4x4 version has a 4x4 mode selector switch, which includes a Neutral mode. The AWD version instead uses a silicone-fluid-coupling that's always engaged.

Every Trailblazer has a 5 position transfer case switch. 2H, Auto, 4H 4L, and to the right of 4L is Neutral it not marked but its there.
2019 Keystone Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Crew cab short bed