Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Ram 3500 MPG test
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ram 3500 MPG test

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/20 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins, what's that "ALT trailer HT" indicator for?

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Bigfoot affair

Sweet Grass

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/20 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Don't pay much attention do you? This is from this thread-> ALT trailer HT

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/20 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

That is the lower rear ride height mode for the rear air ride.

TFL didn’t have it turned on for the mileage test. Bone heads!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/20 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2001400ex wrote:

blofgren wrote:

2001400ex wrote:

blofgren wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

^^^^^ Why do you like gas?

That engine seems to get similar mileage to what the newer diesels are getting and there is much less to go wrong. Granted, there is less power but it would likely suffice for most people.

I plan on keeping my current truck until death do us part or we don't have a large fifth wheel any more, but if something were to happen to it such as it being stolen or written off, I would be giving the Ford 7.3L a very hard look.

No. They don't get similar mileage. At all. Lol this year was pulling 30k pounds.

Look back at the 16k towing test of the 7.3L; I don't think any of the new diesels would do all that much better on fuel economy pulling a similar load than it did. It's not like the 1990's when diesels were much better on fuel than their gas counterparts.

30k is a lot different than 16k. The 90s? Other than 08-10 when diesels had Regen issues, they've still been significantly higher mpg. I can get 12 mpg with my 15k fifth wheel if I'm keeping it around 60. If gas is 10 mpg, that's 20%.

Note I said "pulling a similar load". My truck too will get 11 mpg pulling my 16k fiver. Remember back when big block gas engines would only get 5-6 mpg? They've come a long way in getting the mileage that they are now. It's no longer a 50% plus advantage in fuel economy between gas and diesel, more like 20% like you stated.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

johndeerefarmer

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/20 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

larry barnhart wrote:

I can't imagine doing that for mileage checks.If the filler tube shows fuel after the 2nd hit the tank is full. Chevman

What they are doing is NOT accurate. You can't see into these newer truck fill holes. There is a flapper down a bit.

They don't even stick the nozzle all the way into the hole all the time as this will make a difference when it shuts off.

YOUR truck I am sure you can look down into the hole and see the fuel just like my 98 and 01 RAM's are.

I can see the GM and Ford getting better mileage if their rpm's are lower than the RAM's at 70 as 4X said the Ford is.

Bottom line I sure would NOT buy a truck based on their VERY unreliable testing.

Ford for the win and the Cummins guy can't take it...

Ford made several changes to the turbo to make it more efficient. Nearly every 2020 owner I know is reporting from 1-3 mpg better than previous years and they have more power. 450HP 1050 LB FT of torque.

2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflections 220rk & 29rs

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry barnhart wrote:

I can't imagine doing that for mileage checks.If the filler tube shows fuel after the 2nd hit the tank is full. Chevman

One thing I found with five Ford/GM trucks on the road pulling for a living was not all those Fords or GM trucks in different year models would fill the same.
Some (Ford or GM) would take another 2-3 gallons after the first click off. Others maybe a squirt from the nozzle.

Going back to '58 I've owned three 2500/3500 Dodge/Cummins....I lost count but IMO around 13 GM trucks.....two Ford 350 DRW trucks. I'm not a fan boy of any truck brand but I agree TFL has a poor way of showing mpgs either pulling up the IKE or their mpg test run.

Short fill a single tank will usually result in better mpg numbers.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It doesn’t matter if one brand fills differently from another brand. What’s important is the fill method is consistent from the initial fill to the second fill to calculate fuel mileage and I will say the method used in this test is good.

Also I’ll second what John Deere farmer has stated that the new Power Strokes are making better fuel economy and people are noticing it.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

2001400ex

Veradale, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

It doesn’t matter if one brand fills differently from another brand. What’s important is the fill method is consistent from the initial fill to the second fill to calculate fuel mileage and I will say the method used in this test is good.

Also I’ll second what John Deere farmer has stated that the new Power Strokes are making better fuel economy and people are noticing it.

It's not the best test with diesel because it foams so much. If the tank is lower the first time, it'll foam more than when they fill with this method. Watch the half ton diesel test. One of them he actually says "wow that was a long second pull". Meaning they aren't consistent.

2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But who actually cares?
Are things like gps within 1/2 mph of speedo or who gets 1/2mpg better or worse or how many clicks at the gas pump it takes to top off a tank a concern in your worlds, or just out of other things to nitpick and overanalyze?
If the latter, PM me. I have a whole host of actual real world issues (not with pickup trucks), that need solved....

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2001400ex wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

It's not the best test with diesel because it foams so much. If the tank is lower the first time, it'll foam more than when they fill with this method. Watch the half ton diesel test. One of them he actually says "wow that was a long second pull". Meaning they aren't consistent.

I have had this happen in my diesel trucks and cars on more than one occasion. It happens a lot on my current car because it has a smaller filler neck. If I don't have the nozzle in just right, it will foam up really quickly.

I can tell when it happens because I input my mileage in an app. I generally get about 45 mpg in my car since I only use it to do the same 80 mile loop everyday. If my app shows that my mileage is considerably less than 45 mpg, then I know it is not correct. One time it clicked way too soon so I waited for ten seconds to fill it up some more as usual. It clicked really quickly the second time as well. So before I put the nozzle back on the pump, I inputted the numbers in my app and it showed 41 mpg which I knew was wrong. I adjusted the nozzle and was about to get almost another two gallons more fuel in there bringing my mpg up to 45.

Some nozzles are finicky like that and different pressures in different temps seem to effect some more than others. It has happened a handful of times in my truck, but not nearly as many times as my car.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ram 3500 MPG test
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.