cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 Week trip in planning stages

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip from Reno to visit friends in Bastrop, TX, then on to New Orleans. Back to wichita then down to Route 66 and home.

As of now, we have not made reservations anywhere as we're not sure when we will leave and exactly when we will arrive anywhere.

We do have stops planned and a few parks lined out in our plans. I plan on calling either the night we arrive calling the next day's planned spots. i.e. The night before we leave Reno, calling the first nights spot and so on.

My question is. Will I be boondocking a lot?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500
10 REPLIES 10

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I have camped with a TT for over 40 years and have never made reservations anywhere except on the west coast line. That is the only place I have been left out in the cold with no campground to stay at.

I made reservations going back through Nv, Ks Ut, CO, Mo ect and it was a nighmare. If something happens you're really stuck then.

My opinion you will be fine.

If you really need to do this then make the reservation in the morning of.

Good luck and safe travels.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
[
quote=Lwiddis]What’s wrong with lots of boondocking?
Private land, that's what.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
What’s wrong with lots of boondocking?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't like to make reservations, at least weeks/days in advance as we never know exactly where we'll be when. With that said we do subscribe to the WDOS (WeeDOS) system, and that being Week Days Off Season. These days are generally fine to get a spot for a night or two, but no long term. Weekends are another animal altogether. We generally try to make a reservation for both Friday & Saturday, and if necessary the same park. (We move a lot). Sunday is generally fine and back to WDOS. We found that this is generally true with the exceptions of popular national parks, Yosemite, Yellow Stone, Smokey Mts, etc.
We generally avoid private parks unless necessary.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Why not call some places you "think" you want to stay at and tell them when you "might" be there and ask how full they are and what general timeframe reservations need to be made to ensure a spot.
Your question is too open ended for us.
Boondocking is an option but not near as much empty public land to do it in the fatrther east you go. Wallydocking is always an option.
Your research needs to be centered somewhere other than here asking theoretical questions and you'll get better info.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
YOu will be fine until you get past West Texas. Then you will be in country with no public land and Texans are very territorial. Be careful where you park your rig.

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Calling a day before, or at least the morning of, the day of arrival is always a good idea. Probably no problem on your route except maybe NO since you have not named any serious tourist destinations.

Well, one definite is the Unser Museum in Albuquerque. Maybe the Kansas State Racing Museum. Might go up to Belleville when in Kansas.

Those are really the only places other than as much of Route 66 we can do.

Oh and many places from "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives". Red paper B-B-Qs when possible, too.

Thinking about putting in a few "Weather Hold" days, since it will be "The Season".
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Calling a day before, or at least the morning of, the day of arrival is always a good idea. Probably no problem on your route except maybe NO since you have not named any serious tourist destinations.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leaving now? You’ll be fine calling ahead the day before. In a rig like your’s, bondicking is a piece of cake.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
(A) depends on when you go. During the height of summer vacation season, maybe. When the kids are out of school, families go camping on weekends.
(2) without reservations, do be aware that most campgrounds (and definitely all the ones you might actually want to stay at) see most of their traffic on weekends, so I'd recommend not attempting to move Friday or Saturday nights. Wherever you land Thursday is best kept until Sunday.
(c) Memorial Day weekend, Independence Day week, and Labor Day weekend, plan on both paying through the nose and having a hard time finding anything other than boon docking.