cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Passive Steer

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
Question for you folks that have Passive Steering in your tag-axle coach. Aside from from the tag-axle wheels steering when going forward, do they also steer when backing up, such as backing into a camp site?
2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox
7 REPLIES 7

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the input!!
2013 Chevy Equinox

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
purplekeenah wrote:
Question for you folks that have Passive Steering in your tag-axle coach. Aside from from the tag-axle wheels steering when going forward, do they also steer when backing up, such as backing into a camp site?

Yes, mine do work while backing up
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Blaster Man wrote:
A very high dollar addition that provides very little usefulness. My coach has a 60 degree steering angle, and I don't have to worry about the Passive Steer breaking.

I like mine! It's very possible it doesn't turn as sharp as your but I've received a number of comments on how sharp it turns. Possibly less scuffing too.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
A very high dollar addition that provides very little usefulness. My coach has a 60 degree steering angle, and I don't have to worry about the Passive Steer breaking.
2014 American Eagle

Ken_C
Explorer
Explorer
purplekeenah wrote:
Thanks Doug, I had been watching a YouTube on a newer DutchStar with Passive Steer on a Freightliner driving forward in a tight circle that showed how the tag-axle tires were turned out at I believe 12 degrees, I became curious if the tag-axle tires also turn out at 12 degrees when going in reverse, would make getting into a tight campground site much easier.

In addition to the tag steering passively, the tag has a control at the driver which allows for 3 additional function selections -
1) Auto will automatically dump the tag air when the trans is put in reverse (no weight on the tag except for the weight of the tag and wheels/tires reducing tag tire scrub, and pivoting on the drive axle)
2) Manual will allow you to dump the air as desired. Helpful when traction is an issue allowing more weight on the drive tires.
3) Disable prevents the tag for dumping the air when backing. I don't believe I have used this selection in 2 years.
Ken
2018 Newmar Dutchstar
Spartan K2
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Doug, I had been watching a YouTube on a newer DutchStar with Passive Steer on a Freightliner driving forward in a tight circle that showed how the tag-axle tires were turned out at I believe 12 degrees, I became curious if the tag-axle tires also turn out at 12 degrees when going in reverse, would make getting into a tight campground site much easier.
2013 Chevy Equinox

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
When a motorhome equipped with the Spartan Passive Steer Tag Axle is shifted into reverse, the alignment mechanism automatically straightens the tires to further reduce tire wear.
โ€œ(Newmar features) the Passive Steer Tag Chassis on a couple of our high-end products, particularly the Essex and King Aire. It really improves the maneuverability and shortens up the turning radius of a 45-foot motorhome,โ€ John Sammut, Newmar vice president of sales and marketing, told RV PRO at the RV makerโ€™s dealer event in Dallas.