cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No power to center pin of 7 pin trailer connector on Winne

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Itasca SunCruiser 35L. There is no power to the center pin of the 7 pin trailer connector, but does have a 14 ga wire connected to that pin. I have never tested this pin previously for power since I did not need it before now. I now would like to have a charge line go to our new dinghy and have everything in the dinghy and cord from the MH set up for this power.

Does anyone know where Winnebago typically picks up the feed for this 12 volt wire to the trailer connector? Fuse? relay? I assume it is meant to be supplied at all times so the engine does not have to be running for power to be transmitted to the center pin of the trailer connector.

If anyone can steer me toward the origin of this 12 volt power via fuse, etc-- I would be very greatful. I have looked at the 2 12 volt fuse panels I know of and have not found it.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I do have the wiring diagrams and such, but they have proven to be more confusing than helpful so far.

Thanks-- Mick
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler
12 REPLIES 12

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Executive wrote:
Doug, that is true. However, in his case, he already has a wire connected to it that has no power...at least while he's not in reverse. That said, in order to connect something else to it, i.e. brakes etc. he will need to reroute the current wire correctly. There are 7 pins and it doesn't matter what order they're in unless someone else is working on your rig. The only reason we use the pins as we do is for conformity if we use a commercial tether or someone else works on our coach. Just clarifying so someone does not get confused.....Dennis

Sorry, IT IS THE ORDER. There is a Standard order of what pins do what, and if someone decides to change, that is not a good idea. ALL 7 way Bargmans will have the exact same Pin connections if installed correctly. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ScottG wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Try to find a RV Trailer that has Reverse(back up) lights.:B
Doug

Many trailerable RV's have backup lights - including mine and every Arctic Fox made for some time.

I should have stated that some do have reverse. But NOT MANY. VERY FEW. I work on RV's and I would bet I have not seen Reverse on a RV towable in YEARS. Doug

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
23hotrodr wrote:
Thanks Scottg-- After more looking, I found a breakout of the trailer connector. Yes the center pin is labeled for backup lights. Guess if I want a charge line, I will have to install one.

Thanks for your help. -- Mick

As said, there should be 12vdc on pin 4 and if not, check for an inline fuse connected on the chassis battery or batteries.
Fuse it on the toad's battery as well.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
dougrainer wrote:
Try to find a RV Trailer that has Reverse(back up) lights.:B
Doug

Many trailerable RV's have backup lights - including mine and every Arctic Fox made for some time.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Doug, that is true. However, in his case, he already has a wire connected to it that has no power...at least while he's not in reverse. That said, in order to connect something else to it, i.e. brakes etc. he will need to reroute the current wire correctly. There are 7 pins and it doesn't matter what order they're in unless someone else is working on your rig. The only reason we use the pins as we do is for conformity if we use a commercial tether or someone else works on our coach. Just clarifying so someone does not get confused.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
23hotrodr wrote:
Thanks Scottg-- After more looking, I found a breakout of the trailer connector. Yes the center pin is labeled for backup lights. Guess if I want a charge line, I will have to install one.

Is there not any power to the charge pin you already have in the 7 pin? If it is not showing power. There is a very real chance it only charges with the vehicle running. Start the engine and try again.

Also, what chassis is under the MH. if it is a Ford. there is a relay you will need to install to charge the trailer.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The Center Pin is NOT just for back up lights. It is an extra pin for what ever you want to connect it to. Try to find a RV Trailer that has Reverse(back up) lights.:B
Years ago, the Center pin was used for Dometic refers that had an Ignition sequence model for when the Trailer was towed. But, it can be used for anything the Rv'er wants to use it for. Doug

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Yes you should have 12v at the top right blade (1 o'clock position) when looking into the socket. I would get a meter or test light and check there before rewiring anything. Depending on the wiring you might have to have the ignition on or add a fuse to energize the blade.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
23hotrodr wrote:

Pin #4 is the standard charge line pin.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That one never made sense to me. It seems to be a bigger connector, ideal for a charge line. First time I saw one, I also assumed it was a charge circuit.You never know what goes through some engineers minds!

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer

2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That pin is for backup lights. So it's only hot when in reverse.