cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Larger replacement fuel tanks for gas trucks

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
I had a larger replacement tank on my 03 Dodge Cummins which made it nice for traveling.
I’m seriously considering a gas truck and like the Ram Hemi but with a 32 gal tank range is limited.
I’m researching the new Ford 7.3 and you can get an optional tank around 50 gal.
The tank manufacturers don’t list a tank for a gas truck so I’m wondering if they don’t make one and if there is a reason because of gas vs diesel.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
17 REPLIES 17

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
parker.rowe wrote:

Interesting. I have never had an insurance company ask me if I had an aftermarket gas tank.

I would not expect them to ask about it, but if you ask them, they'd have to disclose any applicable exclusions. You hopefully have been sent your full policy details including all exclusions, and should find it in there, if it exists.

Exclusions vary widely by carrier and state. I picked my current carrier because it had hardly any exclusions, other than "ride-share" (uber/lyft etc) or other passenger hauling for hire. But I had another carrier previously that had a blanket exclusions for "suspension modifications". I asked them about airbags, and when they couldn't give me a straightforward acceptance, I figured I could be in for trouble if I ever had a claim especially since I've basically done a whole E450 axle and suspension swap front and rear.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
parker.rowe wrote:

Interesting. I have never had an insurance company ask me if I had an aftermarket gas tank.

Some people volunteer too much information sometimes...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
My insurance broker says he can NOT insure a larger aftermarket gasoline tank anymore. Company rules. Just a few aftermarket OEM's and only diesel

He did insure my 1973 Blazer's 54 gallon after market main tank, but that was then

Was just curious if there was a larger after market for my Suburban's OEM 42 gallon

I have looked into adding a Tahoe side mount tank to my Suburban. It should mount up fine, but I haven't decided how I would like the filler and transfer system to work.

A larger stock tank would be easy for 92-99 Suburbans, but no-one makes one. It is simple square, they could just extend it down if you aren't worried about it hanging a little lower.

That said, 42 gallons usually gets me further than we want to go without a break, so it works fine. And if I am traveling with the in-laws, they have to stop way before we do so gas is never a problem.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Palmeris
Explorer
Explorer
Love my titan xxl replacement tank 65 gallon on my 2014 f450.
Get over 900 miles per tank fill, reprogrammed with forscan so gauge and computer dte are correct.
2014 Ford 450 platinum 6.7 powerstroke

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Aftermarket aux gasoline tanks still have meet all EPA (and CARB in affected states) evaporative emissions standard which usually requires installing a larger Evap system. Not all trucks have the ability to be expanded, wether hardware constrained or software constrained. So... it's a lot of work to make fullly compliant system, limiting availability. Aux gas tanks also have a stricter drop test requirement, and anternatice placements on under 8500# trucks also require crash testing.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
2020 Ram 6.4’s with the 8’ bed can get a 50 gal tank.

Thanks, I didn’t know that and it’s only about a $200 option.
That was a big consideration between Ram and Ford.
May have to build and order a new truck.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
Ford is 34 gallon on their short beds and 48 on the long's.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
romore wrote:
I would be reluctant to carry jerry cans like that, the fire risk would be too high in the event of a rear ender. Remember the Pinto? I am happy to stop and refuel after 4 hours, my legs and bladder need the break. The only time I have ever run into problems was in south eastern Oregon, it is a loooong way between stations.

And we're off.....the ole fiery crash and bladder arguments.
Literally no one cares if you have an over active bladder or if you like refueling several times a day.
Let the guy have his thread.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
2020 Ram 6.4’s with the 8’ bed can get a 50 gal tank.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be reluctant to carry jerry cans like that, the fire risk would be too high in the event of a rear ender. Remember the Pinto? I am happy to stop and refuel after 4 hours, my legs and bladder need the break. The only time I have ever run into problems was in south eastern Oregon, it is a loooong way between stations.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
That is what am resigning myself to for my Sub, but getting the spare out of the rear storage enticing. The first GM Hummer had a very nice rear tire carrier and will either look for junk yard, or just copy and make my own

Pic of my 1973 K5 Blazer before modifying the rear tire/Jerry Can rack and had changed out the main OEM 22 gallon tank for a 54 gallon aftermarket. Don't have a picture of that with 4 Jerry Cans, but this pic gets the idea of how it looked. Turned those cans 90*

Click For Full-Size Image.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Ram 1500 with the 26 gallon tank and looked into upgrading to their 32 gallon tank. The process was arduous, if you wanted the electronics to match the new size. I've decided it's just easier to carry gas cans.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
At 26 gallons, I’m jealous of your size OEM gas tank.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
My insurance broker says he can NOT insure a larger aftermarket gasoline tank anymore. Company rules. Just a few aftermarket OEM's and only diesel

He did insure my 1973 Blazer's 54 gallon after market main tank, but that was then

Was just curious if there was a larger after market for my Suburban's OEM 42 gallon
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...