Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie looking for advice!

Jjg73
Explorer
Explorer
Good evening!
I'm looking at purchasing a travel trailer. Looking at a 2013 keystone passport ultra 3180. It looks like a very nice rig, inside and out. I haven't looked at all the components functioning just yet but I will do that soon. It's from a dealer, and they are asking 16.5. is this a good beginners trailer and what defects hshould I keep an eye out for? I have myself, a wife and a son and we plan to camp at least two weekends a month and love having space to entertain. Would like to know what a reasonable offer at a dealer would be on it and if it is a good enough rig to purchase!
12 REPLIES 12

dougbo44
Explorer
Explorer
Somewhat a new guy myself, I did learn that considering a 2013 unit may not be in your best interest. Being garage or storage kept would open up consideration. Welcome to the fun your going to have!!

Jjg73
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the insight!

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Batteries $100/each. Tires $100/each (spare too). 7 years old? JUNK. Brakes. Stains on interior walls or ceilings. Walk on roof. Walk on every square inch of floor you can. Any soft spots? Hook hose to inlet. Pressure check every water line you can. Fill each holding tank. Look for leaks. Run the water pump. Turn on every appliance...stove, oven, AC, heater, water heater, smoke detector, lp detector, shower, toilet, sinks. Exterior siding delamination (bubbled siding). Check the date on the propane tanks. If they are 8 years old or older, they need to be replaced or re-certified (was 12 years). If tires are over 7 years old, they are junk.

Now, if you have a friend that's into RV's....drag him along (two heads are better than one). If you find a trailer like my 20 year old 5th wheel ($3,500), you would skip paying $15,000 for one. They are out there.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Check www.rvtrader.com. You can list model, year, location and find what others are listed for.
I saved $2000 when buying my 2019 Wolf Pup 16BHS that way. Nearest one was 40-45 miles away, bought one 160 miles away in neighboring state. Big title hassle but that's another story ;(
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
look for water marks really good they have spray paint that will cover them up. see water marks run. even if they say its been fixed. the damage is rotten wood you can,t see.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Price would be OK for a garage kept trailer, but they are rare. Since it has a few years on it, and likely stored outdoors, there will be some degradation of exterior surfaces. You need to inspect the roof, caulking and all soft parts for aging. Water intrusion is common and will destroy a trailer quickly, so check everywhere for stains and soft spots. If you find anything that is suspect, do not buy. Appliances and most everything that can be easily removed can be repaired, but rot in the roof, floor and walls should be thought of as terminal cancer.
The one thing that I don't like about that particular trailer is that it is big with small water tanks.

X1, Small tanks especially the gray tank(shower and dish water) can be negatively effecting your trips. Black should be at least 40 gallons, you can always bring extra 1 gallon plastic containers of fresh water. I always carry two 1 gallon containers of water in the shower to use to flush the toilet when you are on the road.

Jjg73
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
Have you checked NADA to see what the trailer is valued at?

Yes they say between 15-18

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked NADA to see what the trailer is valued at?

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
All that Lynnmor posted and also I would check tire mfg. date. May need replacing if 3-4 years old.

I bought 2 used ones in the last few years and I did good, except for the tires on one of them. 3 years old and first trip out, 2 blew on me.

I would probably offer 13,500 and see how it goes...

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Keep looking, looking and looking as you keep your eye out and plan! Entertain inside the TT or outside? Too much for a seven year old TT.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Good advice above. Avoid anything that looks like a leak - especially if they claim it has been repaired.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Price would be OK for a garage kept trailer, but they are rare. Since it has a few years on it, and likely stored outdoors, there will be some degradation of exterior surfaces. You need to inspect the roof, caulking and all soft parts for aging. Water intrusion is common and will destroy a trailer quickly, so check everywhere for stains and soft spots. If you find anything that is suspect, do not buy. Appliances and most everything that can be easily removed can be repaired, but rot in the roof, floor and walls should be thought of as terminal cancer.
The one thing that I don't like about that particular trailer is that it is big with small water tanks.