cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mirror folds up in high winds: solved (but not pretty)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a fancy truck with rock-solid built-in extension mirrors for towing, stop reading. This post is a waste of your time. But if you use clip-on mirrors, this might be of interest.

Most (and maybe all?) side mirrors on trucks are designed to pivot when pushed. I'm not sure why -- maybe for tight parking spaces? Usually, the pivot capability is unimportant, as far as I can tell.

But there is a downside to this feature: sometimes, when there is a bad headwind and a two-lane highway and oncoming truck traffic, the cumulative gust of wind will push on the extension mirror, which causes the entire driverโ€™s side mirror to suddenly pivot inward toward the side of my truck.

This collapse is not a fatal problem, but it is startling, and it is annoying to have to roll down my window and re-position the mirror until the next gust comes along. (Pro tip โ€“ if you are wearing a baseball cap, take it off and tuck it under your leg before you open the window, or else it could fly off your head and out the window. Donโ€™t ask how I know this.)

So, what to do about this problem? I tried a little wooden wedge to keep the mirror from pivoting. Sometimes that works, for a while, till the vibration causes the wedge to fall out.

The other day, I realized that if I could make a little block of wood to fit into the channel between the truck and the mirror housing, that would prevent the mirror from pivoting. Here is what the channel looks like โ€“ notice that the sides are not at 90 degree angles and the channel is not symmetrical:

Click For Full-Size Image.

So here is the small block of scrap wood that I fabricated to fit into that channel โ€“ I apologize that is such an ugly piece of wood, but itโ€™s a prototype. If it works in a really windy environment, I may make it out of nicer wood:

Notice the upper right corner of the block โ€“ I had to glue on a small wedge to fill a gap due to the asymmetrical geometry of the channel. And also, one of the edges of the block had to be rounded with a wood rasp to fit more precisely into the contours of the channel.

Also, note the groove along the top of the block โ€“ it is for a cable tie to hold the block in place.

So here is the block in the channel, without the cable tie:

And here is the block with the cable tie in the groove:

I think this will work โ€“ I shoved pretty hard on the mirror and it would not pivot inward. I hope this helps someone with a similar problem.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
18 REPLIES 18

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
profdant139 wrote:
Cummins, I actually tried jamming stuff into the joint where the mirror pivots. It did not work well enough.

Put a nice bead of "The Right Stuff" gasket maker by Permatex in the gap. Mask it off first.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins, I actually tried jamming stuff into the joint where the mirror pivots. It did not work well enough.
About our trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Maybe stuff some weather strip foam between arm & base of mirror using a plastic putty knife.
Take up the looseness and provide some resistance"

Great answer,

AKA "BackerRod"
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Paint! Great idea, since the lumberyard is closed and I can't get ebony. (I hear ebony is very hard and will dull even a carbide blade -- I've never used it.)

Or -- wait for it -- wrap the whole project in black Gorilla Tape! No one will ever notice. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Well that might work, but I think Felice would notice and have you self isolating in the trailer!:D Wives don't usually see just how creative we actually are when it comes to Gorilla tape and Duct tape!
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
The fold option is to save the mirror from breaking when hit. There should be a way to tighten up the friction on the swing bar? But, nice solution for an immediate problem!
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Paint! Great idea, since the lumberyard is closed and I can't get ebony. (I hear ebony is very hard and will dull even a carbide blade -- I've never used it.)

Or -- wait for it -- wrap the whole project in black Gorilla Tape! No one will ever notice. ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer

full-timer
Explorer
Explorer
It would have looked better painting the wood black and used a black tie-wrap.
An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
steve, I do see the screws on my mirrors. But I am concerned about taking it all apart and then being unable to put it back together -- these are motorized mirrors, and there are undoubtedly springs and rubber gaskets and what-not. Given what is going on in the world right now, I don't want to mess it up and then have to make a trip to the dealership!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

So a block of wood will have to do for now.
About our trailer

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I park in public parking lots, I always fold my mirrors in to avoid having some inconsiderate person walking past my truck and banging into the mirrors. I would rather fold them in than have them broken. I had to fold my mirrors in many times on ferries, parking lots, drive thrus, banks, or driving through the woods.

I have never had my mirrors move on their own even when driving into heavy winds going across the Dakotas. I drive a 2011 F150.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Pulling the mirror in allows me to get close enough to reach the drive thru ATM without undoing my seat belt and leaning out the window.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Be proud of it, it's a Redneck Repair. And it gets the job done. ๐Ÿ™‚

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
It may be similar to mine on my 1997 Dodge ram van MH. I removed the cover and there were screws to adjust the tightness of the swivel. One seemed stripped. The dealer wanted to sell me the whole unit for $100's. I bought the next larger size screw and a tool that reamed the hole to that size, put it together and it works great for about $15.

MrWizard
A nice polished finish on a piece of Ebony colored wood
Will help you feel better about it
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmm . . . I forgot about ferries. Someday, when this silly bug goes away, we are heading back to British Columbia, and I will need to pivot the mirrors.

Yeti, great point about the black cable ties.

And Old Biscuit, the ugly lumpy plywood block is doubly offensive to me -- I am a reasonably skilled woodworker, and I usually work in oak or walnut. Construction grade plywood scrap is an abomination, but this is just a prototype, I keep telling myself. ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer